Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A good free forum/board?

Options
  • 15-11-2005 9:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭

Anyone know of a good free forum I can add to a site without any popups?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭smeggle

you could check out www.hotscripts.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Red Kooga

I got over 200 searchs back when I put in "forum" and none of them seemed to be Font related. Have you any direct URL's? Thanks ;o)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Requires PHP and MySQL :
    http://www.phpbb.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Red Kooga

Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

phpBB is nice and easy to get up and running and skin,

kooga im not trying to start a big fuss here but shouldnt the guy you chose for your site on the other thread be asking these questions / already know the answers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭seo-ireland

phpbb, I concur

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

If it's for a business site avoid phpbb. It's a security nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭richardo

blacknight wrote:
    If it's for a business site avoid phpbb. It's a security nightmare.
    I ran phpBB on a couple of sites and agree with Blacknight. It was a nightmare.

In the end, I switched to SMF and have had no problems since. It can be found at Simple Machines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

Curious - what security problems does phpbb have (assuming it's kept up to date)? I've been running it for a few years now, with >10K articles, and no issues.

squibs - when there are 3 or 4 serious security holes and upgrades in the space of a couple of weeks I tend to lose confidence:

http://www.mneylon.com/blog/archives/2005/07/11/the-death-of-phpbb/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

As per squibs, phpBB is excellent when well maintained and patched when security releases come out (like any software)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

This is a good site for checking security problems.
    http://secunia.com/

I think the security holes are caused because phpbb is prolific and more profitable to hack, same as there are more windows than mac OS viruses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

squibs wrote:
    Curious - what security problems does phpbb have (assuming it's kept up to date)? I've been running it for a few years now, with >10K articles, and no issues.

A quick search on Google shows a few articles detailing some of the security issues. If you keep it up to date you are definitely minimising the riks, but simply because of its track records I would steer clear of it if at all possible.

The problem is that phpbb has a history of serious holes. The "cos it's popular" argument is irrelevant. Apache is popular - when was the last serious security hole?

Apache is only secure as the config it's running. Similarly, most hacked phpbb installs are downrev. I once let an board go 3 minor revisions behind and it was quickly hacked - I learned my lesson. I've never had a security issue on an up to date install.

A php application is always going to be more easily hacked than a .exe as you have direct access to the source code. I still haven't seen anything to suggest that phpbb is inherently any less secure than the other non-commercial stuff.

Popularity is most certainly relevant. The script kiddies won't waste time on an exploit that won't get them noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Fergal C

http://www.simplemachinesforum.org/ they are currently moving servers, but I've seen good reports on their forum software.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

I have also heard that Lussumo's Vanilla Forum is very good too. Looks nice and simple anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭nellyshark

I Second SMF.

Advertisement