Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to share a broadband internet connection?

Options
  • 16-11-2005 2:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

(Please forgive me if this question has been asked before.)

There are two pcs (Windows XP) in my house, each of which has it's own broadband modem (ZyXel Prestige 630, an ADSL USB modem), each using the same broadband service provider and the same account (BTIreland's Broadband Plus) and both connect to the internet via a single phone line. This is quite awkward, because one pc must be disconnected from the phone line in order for the other to connect. I don't wish to network the pcs (for example, using Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing) but I have heard that it is possible to share a broadband connection, allowing both pcs to be connected simultaneously via a broadband router.

My questions: Besides the router, what hardware (cables etc.) is required? Can anyone recommend a good router that will, given the details I've provided above, be suitable for me? Can anyone recommend an online store that will provide all the necessary materials I'd need (router, cables, etc.). Thank you very much for any suggestions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

http://www.komplett.ie

The best online store in regards to computer parts (and networking equipment such as routers).

However I'm going to recommend Amazon.co.uk to you in this case and I recommend this router

With this router you'll only need one of your existing modems connected to the phone line. Now instead of attaching the cable that runs from the modem into the PC, you insert this into the WAN port of the router (leaving the cable that connects the modem to the phoneline alone), now you use crossover cable to connect your two pc's to ports 1 & 2 of the router.

TADA

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭jum4

For an optimal solution I'd recommend you ditch both modems and get your select a combined ADSL modem/router. (Like this http://www.netgear.com/products/details/DG834G.php

Either get a regular one or a wireless one.

The benefits of the latter being no need hook the computers up to the router (You'll also need wireless adapters for both PC's)

If you don't mind having LAN cables then a regular one will be fine and cheaper.

All parts can be easily bought off eBay or komplett.

Prices for the router can vary but in my opinion the branded ones are worth the expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Laguna wrote:
    now you use crossover cable to connect your two pc's to ports 1 & 2 of the router.

TADA

Now you wont. You will use regular straight through cable, the Router LAN ports are effectively a switch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭BrianPK

Laguna wrote:
    With this router you'll only need one of your existing modems connected to the phone line. Now instead of attaching the cable that runs from the modem into the PC, you insert this into the WAN port of the router (leaving the cable that connects the modem to the phoneline alone), now you use crossover cable to connect your two pc's to ports 1 & 2 of the router.

The modem I'm using connects to the pc via a USB cable - is this compatible with the router you've recommended? I've read that it is not common for routers to support USB modems. Thanks Laguna.

BrianPK wrote:
    The modem I'm using connects to the pc via a USB cable - is this compatible with the router you've recommended? I've read that it is not common for routers to support USB modems. Thanks Laguna.

No it wont support the USB interface. Have you got a network card in both pc's? I would _always_ recommend using ethernet over USB if possible.

• Advertisement

Snaga wrote:
    No it wont support the USB interface. Have you got a network card in both pc's? I would _always_ recommend using ethernet over USB if possible.

Hi Snaga. Yes, I have a network card in both pcs.

Then the ideal way has already been mentioned. If you think you might go wireless in the future then get a wireless ethernet router with ethernet LAN ports. This way you can wire your pc's in now and go wireless at a later date.
    Modem (bridged) <-> Router  <--------> PC1 (ethernet)
                                  \------> PC2 (ethernet)
                                  \------> PC3 (ethernet or wireless)

The reason why I would shy away from replacing the modem with a combo-modem-router is that new ISP's are coming along with ADSL2+ which means a new modem. Or you may get a cable internet connection at some point (which definitely means a new modem). So you might need to replace it, while if you get a pure ethernet router that supports PPPoE then it can be used for all of the above.

Thanks Snaga.

Advertisement