Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to share a broadband connection?

• 16-11-2005 2:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

(Please forgive me if this question has been asked before. I have also posted this message to the Broadband forum - again, please forgive me if I have violated board protocols by cross-posting).

There are two pcs (Windows XP) in my house, each of which has it's own broadband modem (ZyXel Prestige 630, an ADSL USB modem), each using the same broadband service provider and the same account (BTIreland's Broadband Plus) and both connect to the internet via a single phone line. This is quite awkward, because one pc must be disconnected from the phone line in order for the other to connect. I don't wish to network the pcs (for example, using Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing) but I have heard that it is possible to share a broadband connection, allowing both pcs to be connected simultaneously via a broadband router.

My questions: Besides the router, what hardware (cables etc.) is required? Can anyone recommend a good router that will, given the details I've provided above, be suitable for me? Can anyone recommend an online store that will provide all the necessary materials I'd need (router, cables, etc.). Thank you very much for any suggestions.

Comments

Advertisement