Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Helmets..

Options
  • 16-11-2005 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    I'm in the market for a new helmet and I'm very much tempted by the black 'hard' types I see so many cyclists using around town. They seem to resemble skating helmets or the like and look way better than those huge foam monsters (which on my fat head resemble a Marge Simpson size head piece).

Anyone know where you can get one in Dublin?
    How much do they cost?
    Are they ok to use with a bike?

Cheers,
    Quad

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

I use a skater helmet. Here's the skinny, based on my experience...

As for availability in Dublin, you can get a plain black Target helmet in the skater shop in Temple Bar (opposite Comet Records). You can also get a variety of kinds in Argos, I believe. The cost is around 30 brick.

If you want more choice and you want to spend less, I recommend Chain Reaction Cycles (www.chainreactioncycles.com). I got a nice blue 661 Dirt Lid for only £16 STG. It fits well and, if I may say so, it looks pretty fine. Chain Reaction are somewhere up north but delivery to the ROI is free. They say it takes only two days but mine took a week, although that could have been due to the current situation at An Post.

I don't know what brands they have in Argos but I recommend the 661 helmets over the Target ones - the reason being that 661 give you three different sizes of velcro padding so you can take some time to try different ones out and decide which fits your head best. As with all helmets, if it doesn't fit well, then you should look for another.

As for safety, skater helmets and bike helmets usually conform to the same EU specification. It's called EN1078. If a helmet conforms to that, it should say so on a sticker on the underside of it. Providing the sticker doesn't lie (!), you should be okay.

There is only one possible downside to using a skater helmet, as far as I can see. A skater helmet obviously covers more of your head - skaters being more stupid and therefore more accident prone than cyclists - so it may be a little too warm in the Summer. I haven't had a chance to find out yet as I've only had mine a couple of months. All I can say is that in Winter they do a fine job of replacing a wooly hat!
    quad_red wrote:
    Hey all,
    I'm in the market for a new helmet and I'm very much tempted by the black 'hard' types I see so many cyclists using around town. They seem to resemble skating helmets or the like and look way better than those huge foam monsters (which on my fat head resemble a Marge Simpson size head piece).

Anyone know where you can get one in Dublin?
    How much do they cost?
    Are they ok to use with a bike?

Cheers,
    Quad

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Shiney top helmets good, foam top helmets bad. If you get knocked off your bike by a car, and you go flying, with a shiney top helmet, your head will skid along the ground, untill you stop. With a foam top helmet, you will stop suddenly, risking neck injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

the_syco wrote:
    Shiney top helmets good, foam top helmets bad.
    By 'foam top' do you mean normal bike helmets, made by Giro, Met and Bell?
    Most of them now have the polystyrene foam part bonded to a plastic shell. This is shiny and I would assume that it would slide.

I wouldn't expect a fallen cyclist to slide on on their head. Where did you get your information from?
    Look at grand prix motorcyclists, even after a tumble, where they might land on their head, they generally slide on their back and arse.

Generally, the more ventilation a helmet has the more you pay. My helmet is well vented, but I sweat no matter what the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

I recommend Chain Reaction Cycles (www.chainreactioncycles.com). I got a nice blue 661 Dirt Lid for only £16 STG. It fits well and, if I may say so, it looks pretty fine. Chain Reaction are somewhere up north but delivery to the ROI is free. They say it takes only two days but mine took a week, although that could have been due to the current situation at An Post.

Mmmmm - that looks class but they don't have black! Its all about the black. Anyone know anyplace that sells these helmets in dublin city centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Cycleways on Parnell Street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭mockerydawg

Just wondering, but are skater helmets designed to disintegrate on large impacts like normal helmets or is it only the pads inside the shell that offer protection?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Morgan wrote:
    Cycleways on Parnell Street.

Cycleways do have them usually (getting more in next week).

But they are twice (yes, twice) the price. 55 squid. Ouch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Twice the price???

Oh wait, hang on - it's probably because of the cost of renting on Parnell Street...

quad_red wrote:
    Cycleways do have them usually (getting more in next week).

But they are twice (yes, twice) the price. 55 squid. Ouch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

quad_red wrote:
    Mmmmm - that looks class but they don't have black! Its all about the black. Anyone know anyplace that sells these helmets in dublin city centre?
    A bright colour would be more sensible?

Advertisement