Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

upgrading car stereo - newbie question

Options
  • 16-11-2005 11:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭

I am the prowd owner of a 94 Nissan Pulsar hatchback (jap import) which I bought from a fellow boards member last year.

Runs fine but I would like to upgrade the recently deceased stereo. Just a modest stereo, I'm not looking to pimp it up with bowel-moving bass bins/custom enclosures etc. Where is the best place to look, assuming that I don't have the knowhow to install one myself?

What are the compatability issues if any for a car of this age and origin? Will a standard stereo be able to connect to an mp3 player? A ballpark figure for the labour involved in doing this upgrade?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Halfords in blanchardstown had a great selection of cd players when i was in it last week not sure what there like price wise haven't priced cd players in a long time, you'll probably need a jap to european connection converter thing as the slots on the connections from europe wont fit a japanese one.

fitting it is really easy if you should beable to do it yourself eithout much hassle. but I think halfords fit them anyway, not sure of the labour cost though

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I looked in Halfords for a stereo for my new Mirage lately. Decided I was going to get a Pioneer DEH-4700 like I had in the old car, but in Halfords it's €180 (not including installation). I got the same one on incarexpress.co.uk for €125.

They do however do the adapters you'll need. Mine (an Autoleads cable) set me back €15.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭alansan

Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

I got great advice from these guys. They do mobile fitting too.
    http://www.besecure2000.ie/

• Advertisement

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    I looked in Halfords for a stereo for my new Mirage lately. Decided I was going to get a Pioneer DEH-4700 like I had in the old car, but in Halfords it's €180 (not including installation). I got the same one on incarexpress.co.uk for €125.

They do however do the adapters you'll need. Mine (an Autoleads cable) set me back €15.

is it good?

does that have a line in or a remote?

was looking at that one myself

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

event wrote:
    is it good?

does that have a line in or a remote?

was looking at that one myself

I've been very happy with it anyway. Only minor thing is theres no mute button.

It has an optional steering wheel remote

No Line-In though, but why do you need it seeing as it plays MP3 CDs anyway? OK so you can have thousands of songs on a player, but just burn a few CDs if you need that many! (Personally I have trouble filling one or two with stuff I actually want to listen to in the car :)) I would've thought that'd only be useful really if you had a stereo that didn't play them at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭alansan

"No Line-In though, but why do you need it seeing as it plays MP3 CDs anyway? OK so you can have thousands of songs on a player, but just burn a few CDs if you need that many! (Personally I have trouble filling one or two with stuff I actually want to listen to in the car..."

I'd be the same. I'll prob end up going down this route.

was just quoted €229 for that pioneer, seems very steep

think ill get this http://www.caraudio.ie/view_product.php?partno=KDG611

around €165

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

I got this yesterday and so far, it's been brilliant. Sounds so much better than the standard head unit in my smart.

• Advertisement

are that website reliable?
    how long is delivery usually?

and are all car stereos a standard size?
    my brother is an electrican, presume he could do it for me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Well, I got the head unit from argos not from the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Anybody know of any websites that give a clear guide on how to replace a head unit? I found a few on google that show how to install them but couldnt find a decent one explaining how to remove one.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

What car are you trying to remove it from

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

eireal wrote:
    What car are you trying to remove it from

2000 Punto, i cut up a coat hanger to make those U-Shaped things for unclipping it but in just seems to be stuck in place and I'm afraid to try and force it. Is there anything else i should be doing, or any kind of fiddly trick to it?

Advertisement