Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mario Kart DS review

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

They must be getting paid....graphics a 9? I don't be thinking so!

I love Mario Kart, and i'm sure the game is good, but no way does it deserve a 9 for the graphics, because they're muck, i would describe those screenshots as 'just about 3D' !

It's a step forward for the DS, in so far as this will probably get people buying the DS for Xmas, and features online play, but i think they got a bit carried away in that....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well to me the graphics look gorgeous for a DS title. Way above N64 standards except with out the filtering and it's supposed to run really smoothly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Jammer wrote:
    They must be getting paid....graphics a 9? I don't be thinking so!

It's getting great reviews (4.5/5 - 9/10) across the board, so it's not that odd.

Besides, graphics don't mean everything, and the graphics do look great for a DS title. The graphics should be compared to other titles on the same format, or within what is technically possible/reasonable for the platform.
    10/10 would be the absolute best graphics it could achieve, not "10/10 graphics compared to everything else available like Xbox 360 games". IMHO anyway.

For comparison:
    IGN: 95%
    Gamespy: 5/5
    1UP: 9/10

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm drooling all over my keyboard in anticipation of this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

You really can't judge a game's graphics by screenshots, you have to see it in motion first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Yeah, DS graphics look much better in motion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

Mario kart has never really been about amazing graphics its about the gameplay if the graphics are even half as good as they look in screen shots ill be happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

I got this last night. Didn't go to sleep till 4am. I've been playing this with every spare moment I have. I even missed my train this morning due to this game.

It's ace. I was kind of surprised though, not only is it the strongest multiplayer Mario Kart, it's also got alot for single player as well. You've got a missions mode, where you have to complete certain tasks around the tracks. There are lots of these, something in the region of 50+. You also get a ranking for each of these challenges and also for the Grand Prix's (B, A, Star etc). It kind of forces you to replay them to get you're rating higher. There is massive replayability in this stuff.

New tracks are good, there are 4 new cups and 4 retro cups. There was a tear in my eye when I booted up Mario Circuit 1 and the original music came on. New Bowser Castle and Rainbow Road are the best tracks I've played so far. That said, I've just done the 8 cups the once so I'm not too used to the new tracks yet.

As for the graphics, they're the best I've seen on the ds so far without a doubt and are exceptionally smooth. Definitely worth the 9. Remeber it's a DS game, It can't really be compared to a bloody next gen console game.

The only negative I can find is the battle mode which I haven't really gotten hold of yet. This is probably due to my own stupidity.

So there, basically can't really recommend this high enough if you like any of the Mario Karts or if you're the kind of person who likes fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

GRRRR!!!

Still waiting for Lik Sang to ship my copy. They said it should be shipped by tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

heh heh complaing over the graphics on a handheld.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Jammer wrote:
    i would describe those screenshots as 'just about 3D' !

What does that even mean? They are 3D. Is the word 3D a marker of how good graphics are to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Goddamn... *thumbs twitching until the 25th*
    Can't wait to get this...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

KdjaC wrote:
    heh heh complaing over the graphics on a handheld.
    kdjac

I wasn't 'complaining' - I just dont think they deserve a 9
    Giblet wrote:
    What does that even mean? They are 3D. Is the word 3D a marker of how good graphics are to you?

What? Its short for Three Dimensional.

Advertisement