Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free 10 day trial for SWG

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Intriguing... wonder how long it will last for...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

10 days? (ho ho ho)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I decided to try this out and see what had changed since I left way back pre CU and NGE...

1gb d/l.

What a f*cking joke...you can't actually leave the space station other than to train on a n00b ship in the JtL space twitch game and aboard the millenium falcon in the turret...you CANNOT play the ground based game at all...I mean WTF? I've heard so many bad things about the NGE but I prefer to guage things through experience rather than hearsay; but if I can't even play the damn game what's the point in a demo (and a 1gb d/l lol)?

After uninstalling it I was talking to some other people who had resubbed to see what the NGE was like, and they have already cancelled after less than a month of live....also some very scathing criticism of SOE for the move to slash the skill base and so many other aspects of the original game.
    How they f*cked up what could have been such a great game truly astounds me....I'd be surprised if the servers are even up come this time next year.

Oh and for nayone interested here's a great piece from the NY times about the NGE;
    http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/10/arts/10star.html?adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1134247581-8ujqMZvMjmX3OvtO/SXjzw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

hehe ... looks like SOE shot themselves in the foot with that revamp.... hehehe .. went from attracting more mature people with multiple accounts to attracting 10year olds with the attention span of a goldfish with one account and will most likely get bored after a few months ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I still play the game, albeit far less than I used to - simply because it's the only Starwars title out there in MMO-land.

And I have to say I was horrified at what they did (and still am). In a rush to fix long-standing critiscms about the game, they gutted the things that made the game truly stand ahead of the competition in what it did. It was (pre-nge) without doubt the most complex and involving MMO that was ever released to-date, and the sheer choice and flexibility afforded to players in it p*ssed all over every other MMO ever released.

They gutted that choice. They also gutted a player-driven economy (yes you heard me right on that - "Player") which was truly unique and far more capable than anything the likes of WoW provided.

They also destroyed what was a magnificently designed user interface. It was customisable to f*ck and back again, and more importantly never got in the way. You never noticed it until you needed to. The UI post-NGE is something a 10 year old would design. It is hideous and distracting, and also very user-unfriendly in terms of customisation. I wonder how they thought this would "improve" the game :rolleyes:

I'm simplifying matters greatly here, but that's the crux of the matter for me.

SOE are fools. And they've made themselves the laughing stock of the MMO industry. They repeatedly denied thata console version of the game was in the works, or that the NGE was an attempt to cater to the console market. And lo and behold, satellite tv games channels were running "reviews" of the console version. Instead of trying to keep their mature audience (most who've been with the game a very long time), they decided to cater to the "quick and easy" crowd who get bored inside of 10 seconds and move on.

On note of SWG's player numbers pre-NGE, SWG saw a lot of people leave to play WoW. A significant number of these people (at least who made it publically known) started returning to SWG after about 2/3 months of playing WoW. SOE in their stupidity have basically tried to clone WoW in a bid to get WoW's numbers without ever stopping to realise just what it was that made SWG unique among MMOs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Lemming wrote:
    ..............................On note of SWG's player numbers pre-NGE, SWG saw a lot of people leave to play WoW. A significant number of these people (at least who made it publically known) started returning to SWG after about 2/3 months of playing WoW. SOE in their stupidity have basically tried to clone WoW in a bid to get WoW's numbers without ever stopping to realise just what it was that made SWG unique among MMOs.
    Nail. Head.

Any time a game is head and shoulders above the competition and people love it - you will get a load of clone games (you can substitute song, book, TV program etc into that sentence) ... SOE have done it before ... if they see a chance to make even more cash at the expense of all existing players they will

[SOE Executive] 3,000,000 x €15 every month .... mmmmm I'mm have some of that [/SOE Executive]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

p43ar h3r!!

NGE Video (Piss take)

(Best viewed with sound for full effect)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

ahaahahaaaaa f*ckin' A

That bit with the chuba was pure gold

Advertisement