Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pda technologies

Options
  • 16-11-2005 12:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

I was just wondering what technologies are best to use when creating applications for pdas such as a database application that could be synched up with a central server.I have java and SQL experience

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Plankmonkey

Tres bien wrote:
    I was just wondering what technologies are best to use when creating applications for pdas such as a database application that could be synched up with a central server.I have java and SQL experience

.NET is yer man. There's a J# if you don't fancy c# or vb

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

http://java.sun.com/j2me/index.jsp might be good too. I've worked on projects where the pda stuff was all written in Java.

What OS do the PDAs run?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Tres bien

Haven't actually bought the pda yet what would you recommend is there much of a difference between palm OS and pocket PC

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

if you go with .net get a Pocket Pc ( windows ce / windows mobile 2003 ) pda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Tres bien

And if i go with J2ME?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Tres bien wrote:
    And if i go with J2ME?

Write once, debug everywhere *cough* :v:

But seriously, if you write it in Java it will run on either.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Kernel32

I did some R&D this year around cross platform mobile application development. The best solution I could find used a combination of a Sybase product called SQL Anywhere Studio SQL Anywhere Studio and App Forge CrossFire

The Sybase product is a combination of a server side database and client database that can synch through their software. App forge provider cross platform development that can be done within Visual Studio .net in C# or VB.Net. It doesn't require .Net on the client as it all runs inside a crossfire virtual machine.

My boss on the other hand wants to outsource the work and there are companies that have proprietary tool sets that you can use to build and application and it will generate what you need. They also provide all the server side software to do the synching etc. The downside is that you pay royalties that you can avoid by developing it yourself and you also rely heavily on there tools. Field Worker is an example of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭CasimiR

You also have the Microsoft SQL Server CE option ... the only real concurent to the Sybase product SQL Anywhere.
    Another option would be not to use a Database on the CLient Side but work with flat files instead ..? You can then import/export those to a real DB on the server side when you synch up.
    i ve been invistagating the options myself for a ppc app i m working on .. and i think i ll go this way, those SQL solutions are waaaay too expensive :)

Advertisement