Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geography / Orientation question

Options
  • 16-11-2005 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭

If you are outside the Imperial Hotel and are walking towards the City Hall, are you walking up or down the South Mall!

If possible please justify your argument in under 2 pages :)

Walking on the South Mall 13 votes

Up
    0% 0 votes
    Down
    30% 4 votes
    Who cares!
    69% 9 votes

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

OT but the one that bugs me the most is when people north of Cork say they're going "up to Cork"; and vice versa; and the same for other towns and cities. North is up. South is down. Fullstop.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

That would be down, as far as I'm concerned, as it's leading away from Grand Parade.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

I would prob say up the South mall..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Ken Shabby wrote:
    OT but the one that bugs me the most is when people north of Cork say they're going "up to Cork"; and vice versa; and the same for other towns and cities. North is up. South is down. Fullstop.

adam

Yes, yes and yes! the better half is from Sligo and every time I go up there everyone always says they're going up to Dublin or up to Cork or up to Kerry. ffs, you're practially at the top of the country, everywhere you're going to be going is down!

That said, herself does say "down to Dublin" after living in Cork for a few years. Damn Sligo people, just put on the planet to confuse and annoy.

Anyway, imperial to city hall would be down I'd say... not that it matters. I'll head out later with a spirit level and check it.

rymus wrote:
    Yes, yes and yes! the better half is from Sligo and every time I go up there everyone always says they're going up to Dublin or up to Cork or up to Kerry. ffs, you're practially at the top of the country, everywhere you're going to be going is down!
    Of course an inferiority complex is another factor to be considered. Cork will always be "up" to non-Corkonians. A cat may look at a king.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭reic

Up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Ken Shabby wrote:

adam

Yeah, same here. When I stayed in Cork while at Uni, I was always asked if I was going back "down to Limerick" for the weekend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

I think there's a bit of slope going upwards to the city hall; i.e. away from the 'downtown' Grand Parade, but I use up, down and on, depending on who I'm talking to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

down.. because if I was going up Patrick St. I would be going towards Grand Parade.. and down Patrick St. towards the river.. so same applies with the South Mall in my head!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

down towards the city hall (away from the city centre), up towards the grand parade (to the city centre)...

Although, if you're going "Up" Patrick Street, you're heading towards Patrick's Bridge, which is away from the city centre... so now I've managed to confuse myself....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭bungeecork

Maybe...

- the "upper" part of the road is furthest away from the river and the "lower" part is closest to the river.
    - walking from "upper" to "lower" is walking down
    - but which end is which????
    - how confusement!

It's not just an Irish thing. People in Melbourne will say "going down to Sydney" all the time.

Ah, but you know what those aussies are like...

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭crc

I'd say up, because I only ever approach South Mall from Parliament Bridge or Grand Parade (this might have to do with it being mostly one-way for traffic, but even when I'm walking I never approach from the City Hall end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

The terms "up" and "down" can refer to objective altitude or subjective value judgements.

To address the former, let the Parnell Place end of the street be high (measured in metres above sea level OD) and let the Grand Parade end be low. Thus to address the question a party would be walking "up" the street.

However to address the latter it is necessary to value the street, this is most easily done by looking at the lease value per unit of measurement squared for property space. To simplify factors such as architectural merit should be ignored. Alternatively one could consult with a valuer for the sale price of every building and divide this by its floor space.

By way of conclusion it is noted that the former is often used in a directional sense, where north is "up" and south is "down" (eg a corconian may go "up" to dublin, and "down to skibbereen") The South Mall runs along an West-East axis. It has been shown that persons in the developed world when faced favour the term "West" over "East", the latter tainted with overtones of communism and other negatives -references not shown out of laziness, thus "West" would likely be equated with "up". In this case the person in the question would be heading "down")

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭DawnMc

Up most definitely. I don't need to explain myself. It's simply fact

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

DawnMc wrote:
    ...I don't need to explain myself. It's simply fact

Dammit man, after me giving a nice explanation, you just slide your way in... ;)

Advertisement