Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Shopping Centre In Portarlington

• 16-11-2005 1:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭

Do ye think its a good thing or a bad thing?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭dahooligan

Its a bleedin great thing, as a person who grew up in the area and had fcuk all to do most of the day, I was waiting for the day when a Sh centre would appear! Sure it'll give the typical boost to the economy - jobs, spending etc but it makes things much easier for locals. Imagine not having to do a 1/2 hour trek to tullamore or port laoise to get some decent threads etc. Anyone know whats goin into the centre?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

I've heard that tesco might be the anchor store!! What part of Port are u from??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭dahooligan

east side massive! ah no, I lived in one of the scragly villages just outside.. not gonna be too specific though. Went to de cbs though, c'mon st joey's.. pack of w&nk€rs:rolleyes:

Went there meself twas the worlds greatest kip ever even the rats had sense to keep away!! tis a shame its gone now tho the street looks way different with the new houses there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭*marie*

I heard the shopping centre isn't going ahead now, just the houses are. Has no-one noticed that they haven't even started building it yet?

• Advertisement

Did actually notice today that the sign on the outside says "opening Autumn 2005".....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithimac

i think thay have to change the site of it as theres as a flooding risk. that site it too far outside town anyhow. (stamps foot and storms out):mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Midlandsbase

Nothing to do with flood planes, objections, etc. Developer is waiting on Development Plan for the town to get formal rezoning of the site to retail. The work that is going on now at the moment is a housing estate for 250 houses. The developer of the shopping centre started the road last year after he was informed the development plan was going to be published last May and so he could have started to erect the centre then.

Details of these developments are readily available at the planning section on www.laois.ie. In the meantime an e-mail to your local td querying the length of time to publish the Portarlington Development Plan would not go amiss. I got on to John Maloney and will continue pestering him until I get a response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 barberella

thanks for that info midland base (hope i got that right) your right to keep pestering the councillers tds etc its about time we had a decent shopping centre im going to start pester ing them too , any way thats enough from me :rolleyes: ps excuse the spelling

Advertisement