Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One more thing

Options
  • 16-11-2005 1:43pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭

I'm sick of posting a small post on a thread like "What music do you listen to when you're...." and then getting a huge number of emails about other posts.

Simple: Can we have one simple "[ ] Do not subscribe to this thread" tick box under the quick reply?

S.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Be easier to just have "do not subscribe" as default in your CP and subscribe to ones you specifically want reminders about, wouldn't it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Firstly, I didn't know that was there, cheers.
    Secondly, well, I would subscribe to most thread I post on, at least just to see the next few posts after mine.

What do other people think? Or is it just me being awkward?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

yes, its much easier to look for the little arrows on the thread titles.
    the little arrow means you have posted on that thread.

getting mails for posts ona thread is annoying.
    especially as you subscribe to more and more threads.

Also, I'm having another problem too. When I post on a thread, I don't look at it again, but when I go to by inbox there's about 30 emails for the same thread - even though I didn't visit it since I posted.

are there about 30 more posts added to the thread by any chance?

• Advertisement

Pretty much, but aren't you only supposed to get an email once tell you that one person has replied and that you won't get any more alerts until you visit the thread again?

i have no idea. i would think if you subscribe to a thread you would get a message every time there is a post.

but ive never been bothered to use it so i dont know.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

There's a list of subscribed threads in the User CP, each of which has an "Unsubscribe" link under it.

oscarBravo wrote:
    There's a list of subscribed threads in the User CP, each of which has an "Unsubscribe" link under it.
    Most helpful :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

sinecurea wrote:
    Pretty much, but aren't you only supposed to get an email once tell you that one person has replied and that you won't get any more alerts until you visit the thread again?
    Not sure. Perhaps you continue to get the alerts if you return to boards.ie, but don't actually read the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Subscribe to EVERY THREAD? That's a bit mad! You probably get a few hundred emails a day! I only subscribe to threads I have posted that won't get many rubbish replies. Like If I'm selling something.

sinecurea wrote:
    Most helpful :rolleyes:
    Bwuh? Your OP asked how to not be subscribed to one specific thread. I told you how. What's with the rolly eyes?

seamus wrote:
    Not sure. Perhaps you continue to get the alerts if you return to boards.ie, but don't actually read the thread.
    Krect.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

You can set all this in the UserCP, Options section. Setting default thread subscription to 'no email notification' is best I think. That way each thread you post in will turn up in your userCP, but not in your inbox.

hes a cynical northerner!;)

oscarBravo wrote:
    Your OP asked how to not be subscribed to one specific thread.
    No it didn't. I asked for a simple tick-box at the bottom of the page. Read it again.

sinecurea wrote:
    No it didn't. I asked for a simple tick-box at the bottom of the page. Read it again.
    ...and I told you how to achieve the same thing without anyone having to make any coding changes to the website.

If manually unsubscribing is such a chore for you, I'm sure Cloud has nothing better to do than to customise the site to your needs.

oscarBravo wrote:
    ...and I told you how to achieve the same thing without anyone having to make any coding changes to the website.

If manually unsubscribing is such a chore for you, I'm sure Cloud has nothing better to do than to customise the site to your needs.

It would be a very time saving little feature, for me and for everybody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭UnrealQueen

I thought it was that once you start or reply to a thread, then everytime someone posts to it, you get an email to say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

sinecurea wrote:
    It would be a very time saving little feature, for me and for everybody else.
    At the top of a thread on the right -> Thread Tools -> Subscribe/Unsubscribe to this Thread....

*cough*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I thought it was that once you start or reply to a thread, then everytime someone posts to it, you get an email to say that.
    Only if you have it set up that way. Have a poke around the UserCP and you'll find some interesting options.

Advertisement