Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cheque cashing

Options
  • 16-11-2005 2:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭

Can a cheque still be cashed if it is taken to the branch on which it is drawn? Even if the payee has no account there?

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭Spocker

AFAIK it's down to the banks policy (as in BOI may be different to AIB). Maybe just give a random branch a ring and ask them whats their cheque encashment policy, without giving them specifics..?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

AIB:the cheque can be cashed in the branch on which it is drawn providing the payee provides photographic id drivers licence passport etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Bank of Ireland aren't that friendly when asking to do this. I've had several cashiers refuse to cash my expense cheque from work, even with identification.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Once the cheque is not crossed, I'm pretty sure they are obliged to hand over the cash (subject to identification). But who releases uncrossed cheques these days?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

That's probably one good thing about AIB alright. I used that feature when I got a cheque for a car so I hotfotted it into yer mans branch and got my cash without any problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

That's what a cheque is. An order to pay at the branch where the account is held. If the cheque isn't crossed, they have to give you the money (although they are entitled to take steps to determine your identity and they might take other steps to ensure it wasn't a fake).

Advertisement