Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renault Laguna - maybe,possibly

Options
  • 16-11-2005 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Looking to buy something new seen as the exhaust on my 98 Megane Coupe decided to break away from the rest of the car this morning. And am thinking about something along the lines of a 01-02 Laguna i know it's a much bigger car but i think bigger and safer is the way to go. would like to keep it in the 10,000 - 11,000 bracket which rules out more or less Golfs and A3's.

Has anyone got any comments regarding Laguna's and has anyone got any other viable alternatives? any comments would be much appreciated.

Regards,
    SeD

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

honestjohn.co.uk has lots to say about the latest Laguana and it isn't good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I used to own the previous model, a 98 Laguna and it was the worst car I've had. And that includes a 400 quid Nissan Laurel with about 200k miles on it. It put me off Renaults for life, well at least until last Friday when I ordered a new Grand Scenic...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

honestjohn.co.uk has lots to say about the latest Laguana and it isn't good.
    Not all of it is right either.
    honestjohn wrote:
    Punctures have to be repaired and computers re-set by Renault dealers or tyre pressure warning system stops working.
    This is INCORRECT and it makes me wonder how much else of what he has to say about the Laguna is incorrect.

I am sick to death of the horror stories about Lagunas. So much so that I'd hesitate to recommend one to anyone lest I get the "told you so" comments if the car suffers a minor problem.

All I'll say is I have put 90k up on a Laguna 1.6 and it still drives like a new car and feels barely run in. Still on original brake pads and does 45 mpg. Build quality and main dealer service good. Expensive servicing at Dublin main dealers but 18,000 mile service intervals are nice to have. Had one or two minor problems with the car but overall very happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

BrianD3 wrote:
    Not all of it is right either.

This is INCORRECT and it makes me wonder how much else of what he has to say about the Laguna is incorrect.

I am sick to death of the horror stories about Lagunas. So much so that I'd hesitate to recommend one to anyone lest I get the "told you so" comments if the car suffers a minor problem.

All I'll say is I have put 90k up on a Laguna 1.6 and it still drives like a new car and feels barely run in. Still on original brake pads and does 45 mpg. Build quality and main dealer service good. Expensive servicing at Dublin main dealers but 18,000 mile service intervals are nice to have. Had one or two minor problems with the car but overall very happy.

Count yourself lucky. Faulty Key, Faulty sensors on the Tires. Garage once a month. There a beautifull car, loveley drive, and not a bad looker, but the build quality is poor.
    http://www.topgear.com/content/features/stories/2005/11/stories/01/5.html

look where laguna came in....

but then again u could be lucky....

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭dvoakes

i'm not lucky anyway. The super sport was the model i was looking at but they wanted over 120 a month more thne i'm paying now to insure me on it. b*stards.

has anyone got any alternatives? this is actually breaking my heart because i had my heart more or less set on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

The laguna is a dredfull car.I know most dealers (non Renault) will trade these cars .They are a tin of bad wiring.Avoid at all costs, like all renaults

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The laguna is a dredfull car.I know most dealers (non Renault) will trade these cars .They are a tin of bad wiring.Avoid at all costs, like all renaults

I bought a new clio in 2000 and it never gave a bit of trouble. I have to admit I treated it like **** and serviced it once in 4 years. The car didnt care, still drives like new (my mam has it now and takes better care). My cousin bought one in 02 and is now a renault for lifer. I'd definately buy one and really like the laguna, was gonna get one but could'nt stretch my budget (with is why I drive a 94 rover 620 :D , and I love that too)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭PlayaFlow

dvoakes wrote:
    Looking to buy something new seen as the exhaust on my 98 Megane Coupe decided to break away from the rest of the car this morning. And am thinking about something along the lines of a 01-02 Laguna i know it's a much bigger car but i think bigger and safer is the way to go. would like to keep it in the 10,000 - 11,000 bracket which rules out more or less Golfs and A3's.

Has anyone got any comments regarding Laguna's and has anyone got any other viable alternatives? any comments would be much appreciated.

Regards,
    SeD

When people have bad experiences with a certain brand , Why on Gods earth do they look into buying one of the same brand????. ....ridiculous!!

Are you people really that thick , use your common sense . - All i ever see on this forum is :
    "my megane is broken.."
    "my ford ....is crap"
    "something has gonw wrong with my punto"

and the funny thing is these cars are less than 10 years old and more than likley havent even been abused (revved hard , no oil etc.)
    yet they still have problems and people continue to buy the same cars .....sheesh

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

lol and after all that you didnt recommend him a car :)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

PlayaFlow wrote:
    When people have bad experiences with a certain brand , Why on Gods earth do they look into buying one of the same brand????. ....ridiculous!!

The exhaust breaking isnt a bad experience with a particular car, that could happen to any car. Anything could have happened. It could well have bounced off akerb for all you know (or him , if he's not the only one to have ever driven it).

The back box on my 620 needs replacing, damn those bags of ****e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Stekelly wrote:
    The exhaust breaking isnt a bad experience with a particular car, that could happen to any car.
    No you're wrong, it only ever happens to French and Italian cars. My brother's friend's uncle's mechanic says so and he should know 'cause he's in THE TRADE

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭loz

my 97 megane 1.6 - just rolled over the 100k mark this week. Had from new

- never had a dealer service. timing belt changed at 40 and 80 k by a local mechanic.

before that had clio from new to 102k (when the engline went - i never knew then about timing belts - and the fact they can cause the cams to rip your valves off when they go ! ))

clio never had a service ever.

renaults are cool..............

Advertisement