Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just buried my cat in the garden and im worried about foxes

Options
  • 16-11-2005 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭

Lo all,

Unfortunatly my cat had to be put to sleep this morning. Im gutted, but she was 20 and had a great life. Ive buried her in the back garden, but im worried about foxs digging her up. I buried her about 2 1/2 foot down covered by an upturned flower thing. I poured ground coffee on top of the mound and will continue to do so. Do you reckon this will be enough? My mother would not be able to deal with her being dug up.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Try spreading some human hair about the area on the grass or balled up in a stocking and tied to a stick, apparently foxes wont come near it then.

<edit> you can ask in the local hairdressers they normally wont have a problem giving you some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭MiniMetro

Bit of sensitivity is called for here.Consider this a warning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

MiniMetro wrote:
    If you dress up as a scarecrow and just sleep outside from now on, I doubt any foxes will come near.

Thats not very nice, you could have a bit of sensitivity! :mad:

Andy, I'm very sorry to hear bout your kitty.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Blub2k4 wrote:
    Try spreading some human hair about the area on the grass or balled up in a stocking and tied to a stick, apparently foxes wont come near it then.

<edit> you can ask in the local hairdressers they normally wont have a problem giving you some.

Aye, I've been told that the smell of humans can keep foxes away. The easiest and cheapest way is to go to the barbers or hairdressers and ask for a bag of hair clippings. Put big handfuls of hair into old stocking/tights legs and hang them around your perimeter fence. The smell of people should keep them out. And quite possibly rabbits too!
    I hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

The_Edge wrote:
    Aye, I've been told that the smell of humans can keep foxes away. The easiest and cheapest way is to go to the barbers or hairdressers and ask for a bag of hair clippings. Put big handfuls of hair into old stocking/tights legs and hang them around your perimeter fence. The smell of people should keep them out. And quite possibly rabbits too!
    I hope that helps.

Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall rocks ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

MiniMetro wrote:
    If you dress up as a scarecrow and just sleep outside from now on, I doubt any foxes will come near.

Sound of ya mate, thanks.

Ill give the hair thing a shot. thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

:( My cat is 17 years old and she's developing Kidney problems. I'm not sure how long she will last. Can I ask how was the reaction in the house to such an old family member passing away? Also, how did you bury the cat? Did you put her in a box first? Would this prevent foxes digging it up do you reckon? The smell of human hair wouldn't last too long to keep the foxes away would it? What's the best way to bury a cat? Sad that I have to now ask all these questions:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Well to be honest with ya im gutted. Only ever been me, my mum and the cat. We kinda new today that when i brought her down to the vet he would say it was for the best. Her kidney's were shot, she weant blind about a month ago and in the last day or two she had become completely disoriantated. She was misrable and now she's not. I cant give you any advice on the burial side as im looking for it my self.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Irish-Lass

woudl you not build a raised rock bed around where she is buried and put heather etc inbetween the rocks.

One of our cats had to be PTS in August and we got him cremated cause we have 2 dogs and was terrified they would dig him up.

Its not easy and some people don't understand the attachment you can have for an animal. But remember you did the final act of love for the cat and you ended her suffering and I am sure if she could she would thank you for that. I still miss my Roo Roo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

A rockery! What a great idea, it would be a nice little testament to the joy your pet brought you to, and very easy to maintain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Well I was thinking of making a little wooden box, cremation could be good too though. Does anyone know if I made a wooden box and perhaps locked the lid, would it be ok or would I still need the above mentioned heather/human hair?

My cat is fine for now, curled asleep on my bed:) But we all have to die at some stage:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭aare

You could buy a couple (depends on the size) of paving slabs to protect her for now? THey aren't expensive just for a couple.

If you know of a mason's yard you can often find offcuts of marble and granite that weight a ton that would be even better.

It's freezing out tonight which will protect her a lot too. The firmer packed the earth the less likely she will be disturbed.

I am so sorry, but death is part of life, and death at a peaceful old age is far from the saddest part...

...may I, in my turn, live the equivalent of as long, and pass as easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Irish-Lass

not sure where you are but if you would like a nice granite slab I have one spare you are more then welcome to.....I live in North Dublin so might not be an option

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

MiniMetro wrote:
    Bit of sensitivity is called for here.Consider this a warning.
    what a moron

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Shelli wrote:
    A rockery! What a great idea, it would be a nice little testament to the joy your pet brought you to, and very easy to maintain.

I think that is such a nice idea! I wouldn't be too worried about foxes though, as long as you cover the area properly. I imagine using some patio slabs over the area and then even a nice plant pot on it.

Sorry to hear about your cat Andy, my two are quite young and I'd hate to have to do what you did today but unfortunately, as they say, all good things must come to an end. 20 is such a GREAT age for a cat.
    It must be such a loss for you, one only animal keepers can understand.

Advertisement