Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

live animal sales

Options
  • 16-11-2005 4:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭

If it is illegal & so important to some people then why is it not stopped at boot fayres & markets.
    Where would you report them & who would listen.
    Just seems to me that most people dont give a s--t as long as it dont affect them.
    I seem to think that someones wrong here! Any barristers about, to lay down the rules on it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭dark_jedi_ire

Hiya

What up with your site??

Seems to be broken :)

Internal Server Error
    The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
    Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@fishkeepingsupplies.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/1.3.34 Server at www.fishkeepingsupplies.com Port 80

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

I don't see a huge problem with it as long as the animals are cared for by the sellers.
    Most are mixed breeds sold for a small price. Just someone looking to make a few extra €.

edit:
    I didn't know you could advertise a business in you sig :/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Just because someone wants to make a quick quid does not make it right.

E.g. Rabbits required vaccinating against mixi and VHD not to mention spaying/neutering at 6 months of age, these people offer no advice on the care of the animals, how do they know the animal is going to a responsible home. Too many people buy from fairs and markets on a whim, spur of the moment decisions on taking on any pet from a hamster to a puppy is not a good idea.

At the end of the day it is against the law, these people are causing no end of problems for rescues.

It certainly isn't properly policed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

I agree with Rabies, if the animals are properly cared for and correct care advice is given then whats the problem? I only know one market-trader, he sells at fairyhouse market, he owns a pet-shop and only goes to the market on sundays, and he takes way better care of his animals than a couple of shops in town that I know.

I dont think they're in it for a quick quid, many of them breed their animals for the pleasure of it and then sell on the offspring at very resonable prices. They breed for the love of the animal, it's the giant petstores that are only in it for the money, rip-off merchants!

However, I do think they're should be some regulations enforced.

If you breed an animal 'for the love of the breed' then you should have the decency to vett the homes they are going to, I'm sorry but selling animals at a market is illegal end of story.
    As for the pet shops yes, well have to agree many are rip off merchants not saying all are but many of them are certainly no better than the people who sell at markets etc. The crappy Irish laws don't help either.
    If people want to sell some of their animals that they have bred on purpose they should look for homes BEFORE they even breed the animals.

http://www.ispca.ie/content/legal9.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

If that's the case then there should there be no pet shops either? So your saying that all breeders should have home lined up, i.e. a waiting list, for animals?

I agree that many species are over populated, what I'm saying is, that you can't slate market traders and push for pet shops because they are both as bad as each other.

This country needs more regulations on the selling of live animals.

Don't get me wrong I don't like to push for pet shops selling animals either, however it is not illegal to sell animals in pet shops and at least if there is something wrong the public have a right to complain about a pet shop (not that anything is usually done about it sadly) and a pet shop can't up and leave the scene like a market seller can.

There would be no harm in stricter guidelines for pet shops and for them to be held accountable should they slip up. I can't tar every pet shop with the same brush as some don't sell pets but just sell the food,toys etc. and some know what they are talking about and can offer the correct advice. Sadly they are few and far between though.

Definetly need more regulations but for them to be followed up we need proper inspectors that will actually go and check up on a complaint and follow through with the support of the local garda etc. Animal cops Irish style in a way. People won't change their ways unless you hit it where it hurts..in the wallet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

Shelli wrote:
    . I only know one market-trader, he sells at fairyhouse market, he owns a pet-shop and only goes to the market on sundays, and he takes way better care of his animals than a couple of shops in town that I know.

I've seen this trader in fairyhouse and i'm sorry but having small birds and furries plus goldfish on a market stall in the middle of winter does not constitute caring IMHO.

What many fail to realise esp. in winter or the few hot days of summer we get, all the stress of travelling, being out in public view and the change in temprature can cause all sorts of health problems with smallies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭lolo2

I agree with guineapigrescue and want to add the point that people are more likely to "impulse buy" pets on a whim while at a market (probably in pet shops as well) without having properly considered what the pet needs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭boroughmal

well my problem about it is that quite apart from the stress on animals & although there is a law against it, the sales still go on & there seems no-one that interested in enforcing what is obviously illegal as everyone knows that it is.
    Why is there some laws for some & not for others & who the hell wants to know anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭boroughmal

p.s. the site is down because of server problems that I hope will resolve themselves soon

Advertisement