Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've just seen a grey squirrell

Options
  • 16-11-2005 5:04pm

I've lived in the country all my life and this is the first time I've seen one here.
    He/she was up high up a tree gathering stuff,I didnt go too close to investigate as I didnt want to disturb it.

I'm thinking cold winter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I thought that grey squirrels were in the majority here, just as on the UK mainland, so if you were to see a squirrel at all, the likelihood is it's a grey and not a red? I personally have seen plenty of grey squirrels in Wicklow when walking out in the hills, but can't really remember ever seeing a red one.

Ah that was my point.
    Theres not a wood for miles here.
    I know its the red ones that are rare, but I've never ever seen a squirrel here.
    I know grey squirrels are common enough near woods and in many parts of wicklow as its very wooded and hilly.
    I just thought it unusual where I am and given the fact that I've never ever seen one here.

Makes me wonder how it got there and why it was feeding and gathering in such an open tree.It's not even on a ditch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Aww, I love squirrels, be they grey or red ones. There is a community of grey squirrels living near the bridge for the Strawberry Beds in Lucan. There is one particular character who will quite happily play stare with you for minutes on end, though I am half afraid that they will jump down on me...they are forever raiding the bins but I am one of the residents who does not mind. I lived in the countryside for most of my childhood and it is ironic that I only get to see squirrels in the towns (the first squirrel that I ever saw was actually in Florida).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Grey squirells (who are not native to IRL) are cute but they are destroying the habitat for our native red squirell, I can't understand why even UK wildlife rescues will sometimes save a grey squirell, you are bound to see a grey before you see a red. Not that I wish the greys harm but our poor native reds numbers are dwindling because of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shelli

Haven't they (grey) been known to attack and kill reds? I live beside the Botanic Gardens, loads of squirrels, I love them, they're so tame because they're so used to people!

I wanted to keep some as pets when I was a kid, I have sugar gliders now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

I've often seen grey squirrels. They are taking over from the native reds. I was in Scotland recently and got this photo of a grey squirrel:
    ScotSquirrel.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭aare

Love ALL squirrels, but I saw my first red Squirrel at Three Rock Mount more than 10 years ago...

It was extraordinary...REALLy red...

There used to be a dray around here but it's a LONG time since I saw one. :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I love red squirrels- but would support a cull of grey squirrels if I thought it would have any effect. I grew up in the countryside and had large mature Scotts Pine at the bottom of the garden. We used to have red squirrels playing on our front lawn! I haven't seen a single red squirrel in years though. As for greys- there is a psychotic wanker of a grey squirrel that raids my bin regularly. If you go to shoo him- he gives you a rabid stare- he looks evil. Massive thing too- I was used to the tiny little red squirrels- grey squirrels are about 3 times their size.

Gordon Ramsey had a slot on cooking squirrels on his programme during the week. However much I dislike grey squirrels- I think I'd be physically ill if someone put a plate with squirrel in front of me. The idea is awful....

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Gordon Gekko

I saw that slot on Gordon Ramsay about eating squirrel - it looked nice, I have to say. I too would support a legal cull of the greys.

I've never understood why people are squeamish about eating slightly unusual meats - is it because of the cuteness factor or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

Grey squirrels are pretty cool critters, but ya gotta feel sorry for the reds.

I ate a guinea pig once. It would remind you of a squirrel the way it was served, spread eagle and split down the middle. I would hope squirrel tastes better though!

• Advertisement
Advertisement