Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Quad Band Phone?

• 16-11-2005 5:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭

My uncle has asked me to look around for a quad band phone for him (he does business in South America, hence the need for the 4th band).

Does anyone have any recommendations?

His budget is €400-500

Thanks in advance....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

I just bought myself the Samsung D500 for just under 400 Euros.
    Must say it is by far one of the best mobiles I have ever had.
    might want to look it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

According to Expansys, the D500 is only triband. The D600 is quadband.

But thanks for the suggestion...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭liamskater

Razr V3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭douglasman

TmB wrote:
    My uncle has asked me to look around for a quad band phone for him (he does business in South America, hence the need for the 4th band).

Does anyone have any recommendations?

His budget is €400-500

Thanks in advance....

I've travelled all over South America and there is no need for a quad band phone. All countries use either GSM 1900 or 900/1800. The only exception is Ecuador which uses GSM 850, but none of the Irish mobile providers have roaming agreements with Ecuador. Vodafone Ireland only has roaming agreement with Peru, Chile and Brazil which I found really bad, especially as I was travelling all over with many people who were with Vodafone UK and whose phones worked everywhere except Ecuador.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭byrnefm

Wonder why Ecuador is left out of the equation?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

I don't understand the need for a quad band mobile when tri band will work on all GSM networks

Found this site interesting...
    http://www.thetravelinsider.info/roadwarriorcontent/quadbandphones.htm

Douglasman is right - only Ecuador uses the 850 band. My uncle goes to Argentina, so thats on the 850 and 1900 band...

Thanks for the feedback, folks...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭douglasman

Just as a final piece of info, the best site I've come across is

http://www.gsmworld.com/roaming/gsminfo/index.shtml

Argentina is a fantastic country, the nicest steak's and beef I've ever had!

Pity you can't roam there due to lack of roaming agreements on all of the irish mobile providers parts. You'll need an unlocked phone so you can insert a local sim from Argentina into your phone. It's an absolute disgrace that irish mobile providers have so few roaming agreements in South America.

Ah thats probably the issue, so. He probably couldn't make any calls because there is no roaming agreement (not because of the bands on his phone).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭biofreak

You can get a Motorola V635 - Quad Band - Sim Free Mobile Phone for £173.99 about €200 here.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

biofreak wrote:
    You can get a Motorola V635 - Quad Band - Sim Free Mobile Phone for £173.99 about €200 here.

Hey there,

Not sure what exchange rates you are getting but £173.99 is about €255.97 :p

Mik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭biofreak

oh sorry, so it is, must check XE.com from now on before I go guessing

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

No Probs!! :p

Advertisement