Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missing Dog

Options
  • 16-11-2005 5:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 530 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My sister's lost one of her dogs (suspected stolen :mad: ) and has asked me to put up a notice in case anyone on here might have seen him in the Dunboyne/Drumree area....

9 Year old male Sheltie (answers to the name "Sheldy"), missing since monday, 14th of November. Looks like a small, pale Lassie. He's deeply missed by his brother (and owners), who would love to have him home to play with. If you think you might have seen him, please post a reply up here.

If you can suggest a better place for this notice, let me know.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Garibaldi wrote:
    Hi all,

My sister's lost one of her dogs (suspected stolen :mad: ) and has asked me to put up a notice in case anyone on here might have seen him in the Dunboyne/Drumree area....

9 Year old male Sheltie (answers to the name "Sheldy"), missing since monday, 14th of November. Looks like a small, pale Lassie. He's deeply missed by his brother (and owners), who would love to have him home to play with. If you think you might have seen him, please post a reply up here.

If you can suggest a better place for this notice, let me know.

Thanks!

Post a photo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Garibaldi

I'll see if I can get one from her. Not sure if she has a digital camera or a scanner, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Garibaldi wrote:
    I'll see if I can get one from her. Not sure if she has a digital camera or a scanner, though.

I'd consider displaying a photograph to be essential; so give it some effort.
    If you're stuck - PM me, and we can perhaps arrange something (i.e. Snail mail some photographs to me and I'll scan 'em).

Best of luck with the search!

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Irish-Lass

have you posted it on irishanimals and petsireland as well. You should also get in touch with the pound in Dunboyne just in case

Photo should be up tomorrow.
    Stuck the notice up on irishanimals, but I can't find petsireland. Got a link? I think she's been in touch with the pound already, but I'll make sure tomorrow.

Cheers, all!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

You should ring up your local radio station. My two dogs went missing a couple of weeks ago, rang up the local station and they had received a few calls bout the two dogs and where they were last seen, we got them back the next day thank god

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Irish-Lass

This is the link to Petsireland
    http://petsireland.invisionzone.com/index.php?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭aare

AS a matter of fact, ridiculous as it may sound, you should get in touch with the pound at Ashton which covers the Dunboyne area, as in the Dog wardens will bring any stray in the Dunboyne area to Ashton Pound, NOT Dunboyne, though I'd get in touch with Dunboyne too to be on the safe side.

Ashtown Pound
    (serving the Dublin corporation and Fingal area - pound is close to Castleknock and Blanchardstown centre. )
    PHONE: 01 838 3236 & 868 3038
    ADDRESS: River Road 15
    HOURS: Open daily until 5pm and weekends 10am to 12.

Sth. Dublin area Pound
    Blackhall Boarding Kennels,
    Summerhill Road, Blackhall, Dunboyne, Co. Meath.
    TeL: 01-8026676 or 087 6961116
    PUBLIC OPENING HOURS: Monday - Friday 2.00pm - 4.00pm Saturday 11.00am - 1.00pm
    BY APPOINTMENT Monday to Friday 9am - 2pm & 4pm - 5pm Saturday 9am - 11am

Hope you find him soon!

...at long last. ;)

Cheers for all the pointers, guys. Hopefully he'll turn up soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

when I lost my dog during the summer, both I and animal rescue (who found him) contacted all the pounds, and somehow the information was never exchanged.
    I called the main pound 10 times I'd say, and he'd still be lost only that we coincidentally bumped into him while being walked by his fosterer.
    I had tried call Animal rescue but they are pretty impossible to get through to.
    there is a good chance you will get him back ok, but persevere

• Advertisement

For SO long, literally years, I have tried to "sell" the idea of a national database of lost, found and rescued dogs. At least one dog warden is trying to sell it as hard as me, and several others agree.

Something like http://www.petfinder.org .

I could tell you last-minute, hairsbreadth stories of dogs being found while their owners were looking in all the wrong places that would make your hair stand on end.

You don't want to know how many obviously loved and cared for dogs I have seen destroyed just because there was no way to hold them any longer or trace their owners.

All it takes is one PC in every pound (they should have 'em by now ANYWAY, Gawd a small local council saving on the next recycling fees would do it!), and PC access for every rescue, which seems to already exist.

It would cost domain hosting, and a few days to set up the database and a suitable script.

Then anybody who has lost a dog could log it into the database from their local library if needs be, where it could be compared against likely matches in every dog pound in the country (the dogs pounds have to make a manual log ANYWAY, so no extra work). Because trust me, a dog can seriously travel, particularly big dogs, and little dogs get stolen and dumped miles from their homes.

This national database could be in place BY THIS TIME NEXT WEEK if the rescue and the pounds could just suspend their infighting and power games for ONE SINGLE WEEK.

The power games have become so bad that one board (which cannot be accessed unless the owner likes you) wanted the buy and sell and other papers to be persuaded to send people to them, instead of advertising their lost dogs...end result, if the board owner doesn't like you, you don't even get a chance to find your dog...

GREAT!! That would REALLY work...

I want to make that National Database happen. Anybody else like the idea and want to make it happen too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

Absolutely
    As a regular reader of lost and found ads I have helped re-unite many a lost / found dog.
    I fully agree that there is too much in-fighting with rescues / pounds etc - look at the Microchip database - there are 3 different ones in the country and they don't all share info.
    I have all mine chipped and registered with each database but it is a pain in the behind and I bet a lot of people don't know about all 3 either.
    One of the database holders charges 7 euro to register - which adds up in a multi dog houehold like mine.
    I also beleive a national advertising campaign on the existance of dog pounds is needed.
    One flyer though the door of every home detailing the local pound address and phone number.
    you'd be suprised how many people have no idea a pound exists and a lot of the public still believe there is a " cats and dogs home " - not many realise that a stray only gets 5 days before being PTS.

Why not take it one further, and have a National Advertising Campaign to advertise the pounds AND the (Government Controlled Please! That way EVERYBODY, regardless of "which side they are on" gets an equal chance to use it!:D) National Pets Database?

It's really easy to integrate data from the microchip databases into it as well.

Just in case the uninitiated are put off by strange stories about a e30 million HSE database that was never used, all it would take to do this is a script very similar to a dating site (think about it, age, hair color, size, location compares) script with a gateway for each microchip company, assuming their stuff is online too (if not it SHOULD be).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Best of luck finding him. I hate to hear of missing animals when I know how much my two mean to me.

Hopefully everything ill be ok. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

Well I got my dog microchipped since, and no, I wasnt aware that there were three databases. How stupid is that??
    A national database makes perfect sense.
    I had trouble getting a missing notice up on IrishAnimals.com at the time.

The annoying thing is that he was found almost straight away, both myself and animal rescue called the pound on the same day, and many days afterwards, and nobody in the pound bothered to look it up properly. When we found him by pure coincidence ten days later, the fosterer, an elderly man, had become attached to him and initially refused to give him back!

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but aare's suggestion is blindingly obvious to me and anyone sensible and would help many loving owners be reunited with their dogs.

I hope you find the dog

\o/ ScOrE \o/

The dog was found on saturday (26/11) by, as bizarre chance would have it, the owner of the kennels where he normally stays when the owners are on hols. The kennels aren't exactly next door to the house (I believe they're something like 20kms away), so it just goes to show that dogs can really do quite a bit of travelling if left to their own devices. Anyway, owners and dog are both extremely happy and relieved. Thanks for all the good advice, guys. :)

Not to mention a GREAT piece of advertising for the kennels :D

SO glad this had happy ending...

Hmmm....are you suggesting the kennel owner is the DogNapper? :eek:

To the Mystery Machine! :cool:

Nah...but I can see the TV advertising campaign now...

About 20 seconds of typical "Lassie Come Home" type vibe, and then a nice BBC Announcer, Circa 1955, voiceover:

"Don't worry, Lassie isn't lost at all, she's just trying to find her way back to XXXX Kennels.

XXXX Kennels, where your dog may NEVER want to come home..."

:D

Send him up here next holiday...the Yorkies GUARANTEE he will never want to leave home again, not when they've finished with him...

Advertisement