Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cantona voted most popular premiership player ever

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Gotta love polls. As much as I dont like AlexFerguson surely he should have gotten the accolade for best manager since the premierships creation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Gotta love polls. As much as I dont like AlexFerguson surely he should have gotten the accolade for best manager since the premierships creation?

Surely that accolade belongs to Big Ron :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Ditto that - I'm also dubious as to Cantona for best player, Henry maybe...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Not even a mention of Sir Matt of Tissier... disappointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Ok - I think the original post is false, it's most popular and not greatest. In which case the results make more sense (except for an absence of Matt Le T as pointed out by MrJoeSoap).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

p.pete wrote:
    Ok - I think the original post is false, it's most popular and not greatest. In which case the results make more sense (except for an absence of Matt Le T as pointed out by MrJoeSoap).

Aah thats a different story so. Keane and Bergkamp would have to be right up there in a "greatest" poll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Cantona - undisputed legend

Fergie > Mourinho

besty wrote:
    Cantona - undisputed legend

Maybe so, but nowhere near the best premiership player ever.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

he is one of the best i dont know how anyone can say he isn't,
    ok henry, le tissier maybe one or 2 other should be in with a shout but he's up there.
    Mourinho should not however, by any means.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Stekelly wrote:
    Maybe so, but nowhere near the best premiership player ever.
    In fairness, Cantona single handedly won the double for United in the 95/96 season. There aren't too many players around who can do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I'm not having a go at Cantona, but the standard of football in the Premiership has greatly improved since his day. Mourinho best coach after one season? Give me a break, it has to be Ferguson.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

So has the standards of training, fitness, diets etc. etc. If Cantona had the training that some of the players nowadays he'd still be better than everyone else IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Mourinho?? You're having a laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

whoops sorry guys, the story on manutd.com headlined it cantona was the greatest ever in the prem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Manager: Ferguson - Surely there can be no contest. Wenger would be next but still not chalenging. Things are turning at the moment but Ferguson in undoubtedly the greatest Premiership manger up until this point in time.

Shearer/Keane - Can't look past either f these guys. I'd go with Keane but I'm a United fan, either of these guys would be fitting.

Cantona in terms of popularity is a fitting winner for this particular poll though. Not the best player, certainly a legend.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Matt Le Tissier would be my choice of greatest ever premiership player, how never played for a top club is still a wonder to me, IMHO he was far more talented to Gazza ever was, the man was a genius, his footballing brain was amazing, bergkamp is the only player to ever play in the premiership you could even compare to him.

The man is the more naturally gifted football england has ever created and it's a crime he never got a big move and was never a regular in the english squad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

i was thinking of the players that imo could make this accolade and its a small list.

keane, shearer, bergkamp, henry and maybe zola, cantona and le tiss.

as for the manager it would have to be fergie of wenger. fergie more trophies but wenger on shoe string budget for the most part. tough call but fergie gets it for me.

Seaneh wrote:
    it's a crime he never got a big move

Far from it! He is even more legendary for the fact that he never moved away. Relegation battlers year-in, year-out, and all Matt could do was keep banging the goals away and keep us safe.

If ever there was a shining example of a Premiership player who would sweat blood for his team it is him (no fat jokes please). My brother also told me his wondergoal vs United in the famous 6-3 victory was fairly high up the list in the top 50 goals against United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Agreed. Le Tissier was Southampton through and through. You gotta respect that. Some say he was afraid of the big move because he was so lazy but he did what he had to do at the Dell (including the last goal there!) and will never be stuck for a pint in Southampton!

he did what he had to do at the Dell (including the last goal there!)

The most emotional and goosebumpy (new word) a goal is ever likely to make me. A perfect ending to the career of a true hero and the perfect way to say goodbye to The Dell.

Just thinking about it makes me shake now.

One of the nicest guys in football, nobody has a bad word to say about him (even Pompey fans).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Y'know the way people make all these videos of players?

Howcome there isn't a Le Tiss one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Zola/Bergkamp.

Big Ron.

Nuff said.

Seaneh wrote:
    Y'know the way people make all these videos of players?

Howcome there isn't a Le Tiss one?

http://download.filefront.com/4048736;a546467b78e93b59ead75048540e6c738c2de535ef74b300a60639176f7609495101775967821a20

You might have to wait 10 minutes or so to get connected.

[edit] or perhaps a good bit longer...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

had my mind made up on this before i saw the vid reminding me of how good he was but....

Matt le Tissier

the man was a sublime talent and the premiership will never see one like him ever again

I've made a direct link on "Yousendit", should be easier.

http://s40.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3FSBRWVJOEY150XJCZIR1A6ZU5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'd go for Bergkamp, just over Shearer. Cantona was good but both of them have the business on the pitch it consistantly for roughly a decade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Seaneh wrote:
    Matt Le Tissier would be my choice of greatest ever premiership player, how never played for a top club is still a wonder to me, IMHO he was far more talented to Gazza ever was, the man was a genius, his footballing brain was amazing, bergkamp is the only player to ever play in the premiership you could even compare to him.

I think his loyalty to Southhampton is the reason he never moved, there would have been no shortage of takers for his services had he wished to move.

It's a pity he lacked the ambition to play for one of the bigger clubs because he was one of the few players that could turn a game with a bit of magic. He would have been very suited to European football.

As for the best striker ever to play in the league he would certainly be in contention with quite a few others like Zola Shearer Ian Wright Juninho and Cantona.

Its funny that when we consider the best players it's usually strikers that make the list. Keepers like Smeicheal Seaman or Southall or any defensive player rarely gets considered.

Smeichael would certainly feature high up on my list of the best players ever to play in the Premiership

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

I think the 5 Best premiership players are as follows

1. Alan Shearer
    2. Eric Cantona
    3. Gianfranco Zola
    4. Roy Keane
    5. Peter Schmeichel

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

It has to be Le Tissier for me. the man was absolutley brilliant and had an excellent footballing brain. He could do everything and some of the goals he scored were out of this world. he gets over looked becaue he never played at a top club but this only makes him better in my opinion that he could do what he did playing for a team that was very poor and constantly finished 4th from bottom. Without Le Tis Southampton would have got relegated a long time ago.

No one better in my opinion

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

le tissier without doubt absolute legend:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Le Tissier my swiss roll, best spectacular goalscorer ever yes, best player no.

Someone find me a video including 5 tackles by Matt Le Tissier or one that shows him running rather than walking back over the half way line!

Reason he never made a big move or played much for England is that he did have an overall game at all.

Draupnir wrote:
    Le Tissier my swiss roll, best spectacular goalscorer ever yes, best player no.

Someone find me a video including 5 tackles by Matt Le Tissier or one that shows him running rather than walking back over the half way line!

Reason he never made a big move or played much for England is that he did have an overall game at all.

:v: :mad:

Le Tissier was and still is a God.

Running and tracking back weren't his strong points but stick him in any team (not that he'd play for any team but the Saints!) and he'll score goals out of nothing, and he'll stick away penalties like no-ones business.

Anyway, the poll in the OP wasn't to do with "best", it was to do with "most popular", and along with Zola and Schmeichel there aren't many people as universally loved as St. Matt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Ye cantona was great and is a legend but i can thik of plenty more players who are/were better in the premier league. thierry henry being my personal favourite and he has been since just before france 98(yes i know he wasnt in the premiership then but i had backed france to win that world cup well before it started.).

Ryan Giggs is another personal favourite of mine. he has just been outstanding all the way through his career except for a bad spell last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Agree with Cantona being top - he was completely awesome. Shearer, Le Tissier, Keane, Henry, Fowler should also be in there.

Under no circumstances should Mourinho be top of the manager list. I think in all fairness, even though I'm a liverpool fan - that honour has to go to Ferguson - with Wenger second. What has Mourihno achieved? I imagine a lot of managers could win the league with the amount of money he had to spend. His only achievement are in self-promotion.

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Agree with Cantona being top - he was completely awesome. Shearer, Le Tissier, Keane, Henry, Fowler should also be in there.

Under no circumstances should Mourinho be top of the manager list. I think in all fairness, even though I'm a liverpool fan - that honour has to go to Ferguson - with Wenger second. What has Mourihno achieved? I imagine a lot of managers could win the league with the amount of money he had to spend. His only achievement are in self-promotion.

Fowler? I don't think so. Had a few good seasons with Liverpool and then faded to nothing. Replace him with Dennis Bergkamp and that'd probably be my top 6.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Dr J wrote:
    Fowler? I don't think so. Had a few good seasons with Liverpool and then faded to nothing. Replace him with Dennis Bergkamp and that'd probably be my top 6.
    Longevity wasn't my only concern. At his best, Fowler was arguably the best player to ever play in the premiership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

One of the most naturally talented maybe but not the best.

Dr J wrote:

Cantona only had 4 seasons with Utd, so how does that qualify him? 182 games (in total) for Utd is hardly a career.

Stekelly wrote:
    Cantona only had 4 seasons with Utd, so how does that qualify him? 182 games (in total) for Utd is hardly a career.

He also played for Leeds and I understand what you're saying (I might just tend to agree with you) but I really couldn't be arsed trying to argue against Cantona being the greatest player in the Premiership. You just get about 50 united fans coming against you and that's just far too much effort for me. Fowler is most certainly not one of the best because unlike Cantona who retired... Fowler's great few seasons were followed by lots of mediocre ones.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Stekelly wrote:

Yes but Cantona never had any mediocre seasons in the PL. Fowler has been mediocre ever since he moved to Leeds and what an absolute waste of good money he was

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Kingp35 wrote:
    Yes but Cantona never had any mediocre seasons in the PL. Fowler has been mediocre ever since he moved to Leeds and what an absolute waste of good money he was

Couldn't agree more about Fowler. I don't think anyone has performed year-in, year-out like Shearer though. He's been playing in the PL for over ten years.

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Under no circumstances should Mourinho be top of the manager list.

In fairness I don't think the original link is very reliable, I heard from a more reliable source that the managerial question was posed as who fans would want in charge of their team at this moment. Ferguson, despite being the best and most succesful manager in the history of the Premiership, isn't everyones cup of tea at this moment in time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Longevity wasn't my only concern. At his best, Fowler was arguably the best player to ever play in the premiership.

nah dont think so, sure michael owen is a way better centre forward then fowler, for me it would be between shearer,henry,cantona,keane

nah dont think so, sure michael owen is a way better centre forward then fowler, for me it would be between shearer,henry,cantona,keane

Fowler is a far better natural finsiher though.

Advertisement