Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bahrain vs Trinidad & Tobago Second Leg *SCORES WITHIN*

• 16-11-2005 6:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭

Live updates here.

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

Bahrain 0 - 1 Trinidad & Tobago (1-2 on aggregate)

Lawrence scores a header from a T&T corner in the 49th minute, dire Bahrain defending. T&T are dominating this match but Bahrain could have gotten a goal in the first half after a horrible mistake by the Trinidad goalkeeper led to the ball being cleared off their line. Trinidad & Tobago are dominating the match, the Bahrain crowd have barely made a sound all match.

Dwight Yorke might be appearing in a World Cup at last. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

More to the point, Avery John could be headed to the world cup. You couldn't make it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

Slash/ED wrote:
    More to the point, Avery John could be headed to the world cup. You couldn't make it up.
    Haha, true! And Stern John as well, but he's good. I love his name. :D

It's annoying having to edit the opening post in such a way that the score doesn't come up when someone hovers over the thread title.

Trinidad & Tobago were desperately unlucky not to go 2-0 up just now. A lovely counterattacking move led to them hitting the crossbar. I can't really see Bahrain scoring, even though Trinidad & Tobago aren't the most defensively solid team on the World.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Anyone see Football Focus on Saturday, about the English bloke who qualifys and plays for T&T through his mother being born there (but she is pretty much English too). He's an average player in the lower English leagues but it looks like he's off to Germany too! Can't think of his name at the moment.

Avery John eh? What a career journey he has had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Chris Birchall I think, they're not there yet but it'd be great to see :-) I'm looking forward to seeing how some of these teams do in the world cup, Tunisia, Australia, Trinidad & Tobago hopefully...

• Advertisement

Final score: Bahrain 0 - 1 Trinidad & Tobago
    Trinidad & Tobago win 2-1 on aggregate. :)

A quite bizarre end to the match tbh. Three minutes into injury time, the T&T goalkeeper prepares to take a long kick out from his hands. He lets go of the ball to kick it and then a Bahrain player, lurking a few feet away from him, sticks in his foot, chips the ball over the goalkeeper (without touching him) and strikes the ball into the empty net. The referee promptly disallows the goal and sends off a Bahrain player after protests from the entire team.

The final big moment of the match was a brilliant save by the T&T goalkeeper in the sixth minute of injury time (three of those were taken up with arguments by the Bahrain team).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

A quite bizarre end to the match tbh. Three minutes into injury time, the T&T goalkeeper prepares to take a long kick out form his hands. He lets go of the ball to kick it and then a Bahrain player, lurking a few feet away from him, sticks in his foot, chips the ball over the goalkeeper (without touching him) and strikes the ball into the empty net. The referee promptly disallows the goal and sends off a Bahrain player after protests from the entire team.

Reminiscent of George Best by the sounds of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Sounds like the ref fecked up.

Avery John in the world cup, outstanding :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

go T&T!!!!!!!

my cousins are from there :D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

A quite bizarre end to the match tbh. Three minutes into injury time, the T&T goalkeeper prepares to take a long kick out from his hands. He lets go of the ball to kick it and then a Bahrain player, lurking a few feet away from him, sticks in his foot, chips the ball over the goalkeeper (without touching him) and strikes the ball into the empty net. The referee promptly disallows the goal and sends off a Bahrain player after protests from the entire team.
    The refs never give them, and I can't understand why. I remember football focus looked at a few of cases of it after Henry did it to Friedel a while back, and the referees always ruled them out (for what, I don't know).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Jesus, T&T are going to get murdered at the world cup. They're terrible. They have Dundee's (Scottish division 1) keeper who was all over the place today. Rangers 4th choice centre half, Marvin Andrews, is their first choice. Dwight Yorke is 34 and enjoying the sun in Australia. Stern John isn't getting his game at Coventry. Today's goalscorer is playing in the Coca Cola League 2. Russell Latapy is playing for Falkirk.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Well, there's a reason they say the European Championships are of a higher standard than the World Cup!

(Whoever 'they' are)

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Reminiscent of George Best by the sounds of it?
    Quite true, you've just reminded me of that one by Besty.

People can draw their own conclusions from this but there are two indisputable facts from this incident:
    1) The ball was definately in play. It had left the goalkeeper's hands when the Bahrain player touched it.
    2) No challenge whatsoever was made on the goalkeeper. The Bahrain player nicked the ball from mid air, he never touched the goalie.

kaids wrote:
    The refs never give them, and I can't understand why. I remember football focus looked at a few of cases of it after Henry did it to Friedel a while back, and the referees always ruled them out (for what, I don't know).
    AFAIK there's nothing in the rule book that disallows those type of goals, p[rovided that the goalkeeper isn't fouled in the process of course. I remember Henry's "goal" as well. At least referee's are consistant in this case, even though they're wrong. That's a positive.....right? :-/
    eirebhoy wrote:
    Jesus, T&T are going to get murdered at the world cup. They're terrible. They have Dundee's (Scottish division 1) keeper who was all over the place today. Rangers 4th choice centre half, Marvin Andrews, is their first choice. Dwight Yorke is 34 and enjoying the sun in Australia. Stern John isn't getting his game at Coventry. Today's goalscorer is playing in the Coca Cola League 2. Russell Latapy is playing for Falkirk.
    Their goalie didn't have much to do, and when he was called into action, he failed to inspire (his last save notwithstanding). I'm delighted that T&T have made it, their fans deserve it and the nation deserves it after the heartbreak of missing out on Italia '90 (they needed to draw their last game against the USA but they lost). They will be cannon fodder nex year, todays display proved that. Their defence is poor at best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Haha, true! And Stern John as well, but he's good. I love his name. :D

Pity Collins John doesnt play for them too. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

I watched the last 1/2 hour of the game, it was a great finish. I have to disagree with Yeatscounty on the disallowed Bahrain goal. The referee got it right. If opposing players are allowed to knick the ball away while the goalkeeper is tossing it to kick it out, then it would happen all the time. Plus it is very dangerous play. While it is true the Bahrain player did not actually touch Jack, the high boot is enough of an offense. Also, technically the goalkeeper still has possession of the ball even though it is not in his hands. The rule says an indirect free kick is given when a player prevents the goalkeeper from releasing the ball from his hands.

Latapy missed a sitter with about 10 minutes to go, but he with Yorke and Stern John did a great job in the last 10 minutes or so killing off time. Not diving around but running the ball into the corner. Also the referee was wrong on a few occasions when the T&T guys were complaining about the Bahrain players not being 10 yards back when taking the corner kicks.

Great to see the Soca Warriors go through!

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Get in there man! Ya man!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Howcome Hislop wasn't playing?

Advertisement