Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths Olympiad

Options
  • 16-11-2005 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭

Wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the Maths forum, but meh, here wins.

I got an invite for this today, so I'm just wondering, anybody doing it*?

(Yes, I realise the sheer nerdiness of the entire affair, but maths ftw tbh.)

*It being a series of lecture-type things with the ultimate aim of getting a team for the International Maths Olympiad.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭jono087

didn't hear about it......
    which is surprising cos i'm the only person in my school who'd be able for it:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

It's not based on schools afaik, it's based on what percentile of the whole country you're in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

You get invited if you did well in your Jc, you can still go even if you are not invited it's just rather hard from what i have seen

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭meeka

Aw. /me has not been invited.

*High fives Steph* - Maths is indeed ftw

it is good

but chemistry pisses all over it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Chemistry would be nowhere without Maths.

To get in without being invited you can take one of their approved tests. Where and when these happen I do not know. What I do know is they're way harder than the JC.

so's YORE FACE

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Jack Lynch

Wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the Maths forum, but meh, here wins.

I got an invite for this today, so I'm just wondering, anybody doing it*?

(Yes, I realise the sheer nerdiness of the entire affair, but maths ftw tbh.)

*It being a series of lecture-type things with the ultimate aim of getting a team for the International Maths Olympiad.

I did it last year. My God Almighty, it was the most boring 10 weeks of my life! The only good thing about it was the doughnuts i got at the shop outside of UCC.

Damn, I don't think there's a donut shop near UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

I did the ones at UCD last year. This year I'm gonna do the test but may pass on the lectures. There were other CTYI people there last year as well.

Btw the lectures can get excrutiatingly boring and/or confusing at times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭jono087

Raphael wrote:
    It's not based on schools afaik, it's based on what percentile of the whole country you're in.

soz, ya i did the programming one two years ago,

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

I went to the lectures last year and it was unbelieveably confused. Looking back i think it was just cause TY melted the brain, cause I understand a load of the stuff now. Fun enough though if there's a group of you, or if you make some friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭cookiemonst3r

Jack Lynch wrote:
    I did it last year. My God Almighty, it was the most boring 10 weeks of my life! The only good thing about it was the doughnuts i got at the shop outside of UCC.

wheres this doughnut shop?? how come ive never seen it?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭the evil lime

Damn, I don't think there's a donut shop near UCD.

Nine one one sells donuts. It's near the arts block.

Yeah, 911 was what i was on about. They have this one doughnut that's covered in pink icing but its also got white icing shavings on top and inside theres jam! After five of them in one day (three before, two after) they still dont lose their deliciousocity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mentalimplosion

911 doughnuts = ucd's only redeeming feature imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

I was thinking of going to the NUI Maynooth one tomorrow but a) I don't want to miss the reunion and b) I like my Saturday morning sleep-ins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

see, b there is the same reason i just missed their open day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭emptyspoon

Oh I got an invite. Can't go, but might have gone just for the Dublinness of it all.

Hey look, a new smiley! :v: :v:
    Mmm shiney.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭smiley_knees

Raphael wrote:
    see, b there is the same reason i just missed their open day
    You should have gone, I was there this morning!!!
    What I do know is they're way harder than the JC.
    That's not really saying much though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I was thinking of going to the NUI Maynooth one tomorrow but a) I don't want to miss the reunion and b) I like my Saturday morning sleep-ins.

NUI Maynooth looks like Hogwarts. Also they have their lectures while levitating in a crumbling castley place.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭smiley_knees

Go if you like being up for 9.30am on a sat morning to study maths you don't need and will never use, if you like sub-zero temperatures and creaky old buildings.. That's all I got out of it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Ludraman

Probably going to do the maths, but more importantly I got picked for the Science olympiad team and get to go all expenses paid to Indonesia! Yay!

Mutter mutter indonesia wish I got to go mutter kill you in your sleep mutter.

In other news, the first maths olympiad thing was today, and it was... interesting. I can now conclude that UCD is both overpriced in the food department, and airport-like in the Arts-building-appearance department.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

For some reason the UCD building (where the second bit was on last year) has multiple sets of stairs about 20 feet apart going from the same floor, both going to the same floor below and plugs on the ceiling. I still don't know why.:confused:

Some room in TCD has a short pole coming from the ceiling with four mains sockets on the end, like a lightbulb hanging from a ceiling but with... sockets. This is why physics is great.

Ludraman wrote:
    Probably going to do the maths, but more importantly I got picked for the Science olympiad team and get to go all expenses paid to Indonesia! Yay!

Well done!

The Maths Olympiad was on last year in Mexico. That would have been nice. This year, it's Romania. It's also not officially an Olympaid, but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Mutter mutter indonesia wish I got to go mutter kill you in your sleep mutter.

In other news, the first maths olympiad thing was today, and it was... interesting. I can now conclude that UCD is both overpriced in the food department, and airport-like in the Arts-building-appearance department.

I was at it yesterday, go to 911 and get a Philadelphia Chicken roll for €4.40, the best €4.40 ever spent

The first lecture thing was grand, the second bit not so grand, probably should've paid atention for it. I'll go for the next few and get kicked out on the 4th of February with the test thing. That's my plan anyway

How is it not an official olympiad?

The second part of the lecture was really odd. And required concentration, which is just silly. I reckon he went too fast, and that tree on the side of the presentation was really distracting. Yup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

How is it not an official olympiad?

The second part of the lecture was really odd. And required concentration, which is just silly. I reckon he went too fast, and that tree on the side of the presentation was really distracting. Yup.

Yeah I know, I kept looking at that fecking tree. It was like he taught it as if we already had the basics after a while. First lecture was alright I thought

Advertisement