Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths Olympiad

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

'Twas okay, but it's really easy to lose yourself in a sea of "Area of AEB is proportional to BAC blah blah A blah C B A blah letters". Especially when you're drawing things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭TalkISCheap

I spent a better €4.40. Exactly €4.40 it was too... *smug*

I can't help but get suspect prostitutes were involved from that level of smugness...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭snuffles

Hehehe, mathletes!

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Jack Lynch

How is it not an official olympiad?

Olympiads happen every four years. These mathletes happen every year. Ugh, i disgust even myself.

He he, mathletes

• Advertisement

Damn, so I'm not an olympic (m)athlete yet.

Actually, would that mean that the run for US President would be an Olympiad of sorts? =P

There were no prostitutes. Guess again, my padawan...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

You bought Midochlorians?

Closer, but no...

Surprisingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭modular

By the way. The first half of the lecture was less cool than the second half, in that he wrote and drew and talked letters at us. This confused me.

The second half involved bridges, lines and a projector, thus being higher-tech and better. But that tree was distracting. Although we learned that the dodecahedron's last face is EVERYWHERE.

Spooky stuff.

• Advertisement

I got a letter today about a Science Olympiad on in DCU on the 28th of January. Is anyone else going? Does anyone know anything about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭twirly sponge

I got that letter too, I don't know anything about it, haven't decided yet if I'm gonna go...

Woo, got a letter about the Science Olympiad today. Shall be going along I'd say, just gotta pick a particular subject first.
    Does anyone know what kind of standard they expect? Like, we're not gonna have to know leaving cert course things right?

I just had a look at the website and there's two categories, people who did the JC in 2004/2005 born 1989 or after, and people who did the JC in 2003/2004. I'm in the senior one and cos I would be in 6th year if I didn't do TY I reckon the standard will be Leaving Certish... So I'll be totally lost... I dunno bout the junior one though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭jono087

Woo, got a letter about the Science Olympiad today. Shall be going along I'd say, just gotta pick a particular subject first.
    Does anyone know what kind of standard they expect? Like, we're not gonna have to know leaving cert course things right?

I'd assume they'll go fairly slow at the start to make sure everyone's on board.......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

Science Olympiad exams are... interesting. Well, EUSO anyway. I did the biology one last year, and the questions were either stuff we had on our course but hadnt yet covered, or material not on our course. Questions weren't so bad, multiple choice, and choices can be eliminated by logic, or a guess once in a while!

If you get top two in your chosen subject, you get on the Irish team for EUSo, which I believe is in Brussels this year? 'Twas in Galway last year, much fun was had. Go for it, it'll be one of the best weeks you'll have. Befriending random Belgians is great.. (by random, I of course mean they were on the Belgian team. :D)

jono087 wrote:
    I'd assume they'll go fairly slow at the start to make sure everyone's on board.......

It's not lectures for the science olympiad, it's a test...

It may be a test, but it could also be a mini-reunion. Hmm, hmm?

Come on, humour me, im from Cork

Okay, bit late notice, but oh well. Due to leaving early for the crime talk I missed the end of the maths thing last week, so does anyone know when the next one in UCD is happening?
    Hopefully not tomorrow... =)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Okay, bit late notice, but oh well. Due to leaving early for the crime talk I missed the end of the maths thing last week, so does anyone know when the next one in UCD is happening?
    Hopefully not tomorrow... =)

The 21st of January, I'm nearly positive, there's a break because they're on holidays in UCD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭simply_dee

Does anyone know when the first round test is for the maths olympiad? I should really make an appearance for that...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SOL

Just, while i'm here, I did the Chemistry olympiads in 2003 and I would definitely reccomend it, its only one saturday and if you do well theythen give you another week of training before the final showdown to get on the trip abroad. Best trip ever, IBM gave us money and everything...

But seriously, if your in anyway interested I'd really recommend it, I got to go to Greece,

As for the standard, if you doing the old one (not euso) you want to be able to do your chemistry course and I'd recommend learning three other things, one, understanding molecules written as lines, 2, revise some algebra in maths and some integration, and 3, revise nomenclature because if you can understand the questions towards the end your doing better than most from what i remeber..

It is 2 papers, the first a good general should get most of it out paper, the second is the fun one. enjoy...

And the standard isn't that high, they gave me a silver medal at it, nuff said.

Have fun

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SOL

oh and it's not multiple choice, atleat very little of it is, only the euso one is

I suppose 5th years wouldn't know enough to do well in it. Still, sounds alright.

So who is going to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭jennyq

I got an invite for the Maths one, but I'd have to go to NUI Galway, which is nowhere near where I live (South Tipp, but my school is just on the verge of being North Tipp, so possibly North Tipp students get invited to Galway). There's no way I could get to Galway every Saturday for ten weeks, but I was thinking of finding out if it'd be possible to go to UL instead. Just want to know from someone who's done it before if it'd really be worth going to all that effort? I'm also the only one from my school invited.

Got an invite for the EUSO too, I'm going for Physics. I'm in TY now so I don't have much hope of doing well, but I'll have a go anyway.

Woo, I am also doing the physics in the EUSO.

But yeah, I thought for the maths you could go to whichever university you wanted? That's what mine, said, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭jennyq

The exact text of my letter is "I am writing to invite you to participate in this year's NUI, Galway Mathematical Enrichment Course. Each year, the most talented secondary school students in the country are invited to participate in similar courses that are held at various third level institutions throughout Ireland (UCD, UCC, NUI Maynooth & UL also run similar courses)."

So I think I'll look into the possibility of going to UL instead, & then make up my mind, as late winter/early spring is pretty hectic at home so it might not be convenient either way.

They usually allow you to change where you do it. I was invited to the Cork one last year, and on the letter they said i could attend the Limerick one if it was more convenient. Of course, the Limerick one started 6 weeks before the Cork one, but fortuinately it was convenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Feral Mutant

I'm not going to the lectures this year since I went to them last year and I'm a little preoccupied with the Leaving Cert. Plus I just couldn't be bothered. I still want to do the test though. Does anyone know what day it's on?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭jono087

I'm not going to the lectures this year since I went to them last year and I'm a little preoccupied with the Leaving Cert. Plus I just couldn't be bothered. I still want to do the test though. Does anyone know what day it's on?

it's a bit early to be getting preoccupied with the leaving cert isn't it? maybe i'm being a bit too casual but there's a lot of important stuff going on between now and the start of exams....

Advertisement