Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting up an online radio station - need lots of uploading speed

• 16-11-2005 7:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭

Im not too sure if the technical ins and outs of this but Im aware that my account with Eircom Broadband wont be enough. Are there any reliable companies that could be suggested for an online radio station without costing the earth?

PS: Dublin based

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Sorry to be off topic but how would ya goin about setting up one>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

It depends what bitrate you want / amount of listeners too.
    The only real way to sustain a good amount of listeners at decent quality is to send 1 single stream up to a shoutcast server,

We use www.streamsolutions.co.uk to stream freakfm online (www.freakfm.com)

Smart is pretty good due to the availability of a 256K upload for an extra fiver a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Red Kooga

We use www.streamsolutions.co.uk to stream freakfm online (www.freakfm.com)

I'll have a look at that and might PM you for more info if thats alright.

Dan: go to www.shoutcast.com for more details

Would it be possible to stream from home using Smart on its own?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Smart only gives you 256k up. So divide that by the bandwidth that you want to use. 56k seems to be about the minimum for listen-able quality, so you could have about 4 listeners, since the 256 up will work out more like 230 in reality. I doubt you'd want that few?

Seems like a shoutcast server is the only decent option, unless you can get 2meg Irish Broadband and your mast happens to be a reliable one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

or digiweb metro, they are good, but its better to get a shoutcast server, some only charge you for how many listeners you have rather than set fee for a listener bracket.
    try www.shoutcast.com s forums as they have opinions on different providers.

I went cross-eyed reading forums the last time I tried to figure this out. Anyone got a link to straightforward FAQ?

Also; Anyone ever hear of/use streamguys.com?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Magnet have a nice upload rate also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

Red Kooga wrote:
    I went cross-eyed reading forums the last time I tried to figure this out. Anyone got a link to straightforward FAQ?

Also; Anyone ever hear of/use streamguys.com?

I would go with streamsolutions.co.uk , as the servers are european based, also they are the cheapest by far. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

ive heard different things from various websites while getting info on streaming radio and i have one Q
    Do you need a licience to stream songs over the web?
    Copyright songs that is, like a normal radio station?

• Advertisement

1,500 euros a year for artist royalties apparently if you want to do it all above board and keep everyone happy

Advertisement