Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

XP Pro install on Dell - COA Key Problems

• 16-11-2005 7:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭

I have a dell that was purchased with XP pro. The hdd was busted and a new one has been installed. Great I thought, I just have to install XP. This is where the problem started.

None of the original discs could be found so I got a copy of an XP Pro disc. The disk wont take the COA key that is on the machine. The only way it can be installed is with original key that was on the machine (Dell's OEM key) However I cant activate this nor can I change it to the key on the sticker. This is extremly fustrating. Do I need a Dell Xp Pro disc? Solutions!?!? :mad:

Thanks

p.s.
    I dont want to crack anything.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

magic jelly bean keyfinder should allow you to change the key once XP in installed so you can then activate it with the Dell s/n

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭h0stn0tf0und

I used keyfinder and changed the key to one on the COA. When I tried to activate I get the follwing error:
    If the product key was mistyped, please correct it, and then click reply
    Message Number: 45128

The key is typed correctly. No joy whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 r3l4x

When you want to activate your windows, just call them and they will do it for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

i found one time when searching through the auto install file, that dell uses a different key than whats on the sticker of the machine.

But im confused at this because i unstalled xp pro on a dell machine and it never asked me for a key, and the machine originally had win98.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭h0stn0tf0und

I got a Dell XP pro disk and installed it, all worked fine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement