Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where do you get your DVDs?

• 16-11-2005 8:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭

Xtravision had been charging €6 for 2 movies for two nights until recently, that's gone up to €8, I had been going to their store on the Headford road but now I'm just using Chartbusters across the road for the 2 for €6. Xtra were still busier though, despite charging 33% more :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Chartbusters is awkward to get to I suppose so that's why Xtravision may be busier.

Chartbusters do have a better selection of DVDs though, especially World Cinema.

2001 on Eglinton St. do 2 DVDs for 6 euro as well.

When I lived up on the Crescent I used to go to Shantalla Movie House - great films up there but alas I'm too lazy to walk that far now that I'm in the city centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

I was going to Xtra vision (pigs back vouchers) but I'll be going to Chartbusters from now on. I wonder how long until they put up their prices..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Toy wrote:
    Xtravision had been charging €6 for 2 movies for two nights until recently, that's gone up to €8, I had been going to their store on the Headford road but now I'm just using Chartbusters across the road for the 2 for €6. Xtra were still busier though, despite charging 33% more :eek:

Dvdrentals.ie but thinking of moving to busybeedvd.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The biggest joke was that while they had 2 for 6 in town, at the exact same time they had 2 for 9 in Oranmore. :rolleyes:

Would have thought its illegal to have contrasting prices in different stores. They have no competition whatsoever in Oranmore so they aren't too bothered about their prices it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Exactly.... especially since the price in Oranmore has gone back up to €10.50 for two DVDs.

Damn annoying, why they couldn't have left it at an even ten I don't know.

Fcuk that goddamn company and all it's crap!

And yes... i can bitch about it, cause I work for them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Galway Lads ;D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

jazus .. thats a bit pricey ..

I'd been alternating between xtra vision headford road ... and chartbusters across the road .. depending on how lazy I was feeling ...

4 quid is just too steep for a dvd that I can buy new online for 20 or less ... I pass any dvd's on to family members ... so it works out pretty good buying them. And second hand .... it works out even nicer ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Shantalla Movie House
    2001 A Video Odyssey
    Support your local cinemaporium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭Toy

It really got to me when I saw xtras prices go up (to their national average albeit) I think they had matched Chartbusters before but raised their prices after a bit. It's just a shame to see them so busy while others practically right beside them charge less but get ignored by the masses. It's all just branding!

(Speaking of which, I just noticed the other day that 2001 are now A DVD Odyssey, not sure how long that's been...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 pillsaregooood

I wouldnt go near xtravision anymore ,come down the styx where they dont have any competition and its cheaper to buy the dvd than rent it for a night . Busybee is the only way to go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

SyxPak wrote:
    Shantalla Movie House
    2001 A Video Odyssey
    Support your local cinemaporium.

Too true, and they are very good too.

When a DVD is 5 late or more.... 25 euro is charged to the account of the customer.... even if the DVD only costs 20 brand new!

Scandalous!:eek:

As far as that goes if you had four people each buy one DVD and swap them around it'd be the same as renting for a night at €5, apart from the minor thing of actually owning a DVD after...

It's quite disgraceful....

Some people have the right idea of buying DVD's as opposed to renting them... which is a good idea, pricey but you don't have to deal with a$$holes demanding that you pay €5.25 fine because you brought back "War of the Worlds" one day late.

Truly truly money grabbing whores are Xtra-vision

Just out of interest, how do xtra treat their staff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

I worked for Xtra Vision for 1 month at Xmas about 5 years ago and we were treated well back then infact it was a good fun :)

You get customers wrecking your head all day about fines etc \ prices blah blah but you cant do anything about it so you just listen to them and shrug it off. Any major fines you just say im afraid you will have to speak to the manager so call / come back during the day.

When I was there we weren't able to clear the fines only the manager could....although this only started shortly after I started but by that stage I had cleared everyones account I could think of :)

Renting DvDs is rip off avoid it

Toy wrote:
    Just out of interest, how do xtra treat their staff?

alright.... They are a bit of a joke at some stuff.

namely, having a christmas party in February.

Though the free DVDs and 10% discount is fairly sound.

The only really bad thing about working in Xtra-vision are the customers.
    Mainly the older ones! Who don't know what the hell they are talking about and think they are better than me and can boss me around just cause I'm wearing a uniform. The amount of abuse i have put up with is ridiculous, though when you try to compare it to the amount of abuse i give people, it seems only fair! God damn customrs!

Ignore their crap and you are sound in a cushy, low-maintence job.

*a collegue of mine has instructed me to write that i hit him in the mouth with a high velocity pen yesterday, amd apparantly am not to be trusted!

If ever in Xtra Oranmore, come in and let me talk to/abuse/laugh at or hurt you. look out for the Ginger Ninja!

Advertisement