Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting a new "voting" website. Advice please.

Options
  • 16-11-2005 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭

I have an idea for a business that would be primarily web-based. I'm only starting out trying to cost the whole thing.

It would be very similar to www.threadless.com (if you know it) in as far as people would:

Register with the website.
    Users would be able to submit designs/products.
    Registered users would be able to vote on others submissions.
    The vote scores may or may not be public but as the admin I have access to who votes for what.
    It would also have an integrated online shop to buy selected products.

I have knowledge of Flash, HTML and bits of PHP but something of this complexity is beyond me.

I know I could use osCommerce, or similar, for the shop but as the whole business would be based around the site (initially anyway) I would like it to be more individual.

Also, when the business starts the idea is to give the majority of any profits to charity.

Basically I was just looking for advise on where to start. I understand that this would be a fairly sizable project for someone or even a company. My next step would be to write a more detailed set of requirements and email it off to design companies. I was just wondering if anyone knew of a company that has done stuff like this before?

As the site would be giving to charity are there any web companies out there that would offer discounts?

As I said I'm only in the early stages of planning so sorry for the vagueness. Thanks in advance.

Advertisement