Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restoring Floor - Tips Please

Options
  • 16-11-2005 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭

I have a junckers floor in the house I bought.

I am guessing it is about seven years old and could do with a facelift.

Any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Go to your local hire centre and hire a floor sander and edging sander. There's only a few hrs in sanding but remove all furniture etc as the dust is crazy. Get a good vacuum cleaner too. Tap down any exposed nails as they will tear the sandpaper. Sand the floor starting with course paper followed by a fine paper. Vacuum alll dust especially between any joints. Get a two pack coating and give it one coat. Once it dries after an hour give in a quick hand sand it with a fine sandpaper to remove any dust spots. Vacuum again and start your second coat..Leave a couple of hours and give it another coat. Evacuate everybody in the house for a day or so as the smell is bad. Open a few windows too....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi opo,

You are dealing with the Rolls Royce of timber flooring and priced to match, by the time you clock all the hire bills you would probably be better off paying a pofessional to prepare it for you.

The big sanders can be a major problem if you don't know what you are doing, they just sink into the timber leaving your floor up and down like the waves of the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

For this type of floor would be fairly flat and not bowed? There is a sander which is like a buffer you can get from hire shops.The sandpaper comes in 2foot X 2 foot sheets I think,maybe bigger and have a velcro backing and you ease the sander on top and sand away...Its not as bad as the drum sander.What type of finish are you looking for?

1: Dulux diamond coat,water based,no-fumes,non-toxic.Best applied with 4inch brush.Gloss/Satin

2: Cellouse two pack lacquer(morrells),catalyst harder,high vapours,can sting eyes etc.Would probably need good few days to air room.Need mo-hair sleeve to roll on and cut in edges with brushes.Comes in gallon cans and has a shelf life of 36hours when catalyst is added.No more than 3 coats can be applied in a day.You can get this in gloss/Satin.When done properly this stuff can be great.

Maybe checkout this type in hire shop.If you do go the Diy way remember to save the used sandpaper for sanding in between coats of finish.

Just found this might want to have a read of it,same stuff as they morrels.

http://www.woodenflooringsales.com/junckerslacquersandoils/index.php

This is what it says on the dulux website about the water based lacquer(Diamond glaze)

A tough act to follow Over 10 times tougher than conventional floor varnish. This water-based, environmentally friendly varnish is perfect for floors and other areas demanding a tough protective finish.
    Available in gloss and satin finishes.
    Water Based - Safer for you and the environment.
    AVAILABLE IN 70 DESIGNER COLOURS

Fleetwood also do it called (Diamond Seal) http://www.fleetwood.ie/whichpaint.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭JimmyL

Since, you are going back to bare wood, try tung oil. It's not as durable as the other stuff but look and feel alot nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭opo

You guys are the best,

Thanks for all the great tips.

Your all invited around to help me :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement