Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB Breeze ?

• 16-11-2005 11:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

I live in donaghmede, unfortunatly I'm on the belcamp exchenge which for some unknown reason means I can't have broadband (despite smart ptomising me it last January). NTL are not in the area although when one of their engineers was fixing my digital he said I'm set up for it.

I tried ripwave & brought it back two days later.

So I'm left with "Breeze" as a possibility. Seriously guys, what's it like ? is it total crap or is it a decent service ?

Anything I really need to know ? How does it compare with a standard broadband package ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

iMax wrote:
    I live in donaghmede, unfortunatly I'm on the belcamp exchenge which for some unknown reason means I can't have broadband (despite smart ptomising me it last January). NTL are not in the area although when one of their engineers was fixing my digital he said I'm set up for it.

So I'm left with "Breeze" as a possibility. Seriously guys, what's it like ? is it total crap or is it a decent service ?

Anything I really need to know ? How does it compare with a standard broadband package ?

Breeze is exactly the same quality of service and speed as ripwave apart from it comes in a bigger box and is a hell of a lot harder to send back when you decide to get the non-IBB version of broadband (ie proper brodband).

You'll get higher speed and response times by posting via An Post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭pete

Adey2002 wrote:
    Breeze is exactly the same quality of service and speed as ripwave

eh, no.
    iMax wrote:
    is it total crap or is it a decent service ?

Been grand for me for most of the 18 months or so i've had it, apart from the couple of weeks there recently when IBB was screwed for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭Adey2002

pete wrote:
    eh, no.

Been grand for me for most of the 18 months or so i've had it, apart from the couple of weeks there recently when IBB was screwed for everyone.

Wow, some one actually standing up for IBB. It's like finding a four leafed clover.

Fair play, either your one of the very very very few lucky ones, or you have no idea what broadband is supposed to be like so beleive that what IBB actually supply is broadband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭pete

Adey2002 wrote:
    Wow, some one actually standing up for IBB. It's like finding a four leafed clover.

Fair play, either your one of the very very very few lucky ones, or you have no idea what broadband is supposed to be like so beleive that what IBB actually supply is broadband.
    maybe you should get the advertising police after them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭sisyphus

That's a pretty condescending thing to say Adey!

In fairness, I know plenty of IBB customers who are more than happy with their connections. They're getting the advertised speeds, and seldom have problems. Fair enough, the customer support may not be up to scratch at present, but that's a seperate issue.
    There are some problems on the network (Read any page on here for examples of disgruntled customers), but to say their entire service is dire is a bit out of order....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

sisyphus wrote:

In fairness, I know plenty of IBB customers who are more than happy with their connections. They're getting the advertised speeds, and seldom have problems. Fair enough, the customer support may not be up to scratch at present, but that's a seperate issue.
    There are some problems on the network (Read any page on here for examples of disgruntled customers), but to say their entire service is dire is a bit out of order....

Here Here..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭Macker1

They are a joke company that do not provide a reliable service, plenty of unhappy posters and ex-customers have testified to this. If anyone is happy with the service, then fair play but do not think for one minute that IBB are living up to their end of the advertised service.

Personally I left them back in September and I cannot wait for the day when they get what they deserve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Macker1 wrote:
    They are a joke company that do not provide a reliable service, plenty of unhappy posters and ex-customers have testified to this. If anyone is happy with the service, then fair play but do not think for one minute that IBB are living up to their end of the advertised service.

Personally I left them back in September and I cannot wait for the day when they get what they deserve.

well mine is back to 240k down 580k up after 6 weeks of hunting them the day they gave up on fixing the connection it bounced back, they are in the process of applying for wimax for me off the md (not sure if i need it with the current connection quality)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Havn't seen a 2meg connection in nearly 2 months now. Get IBB, and you can keep on dreaming about 2meg symmetrical connections, cos you won't get one.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

it will sometimes work as it does for me at present. still not 100% happy with advertised speeds. the intellect of their customer support people compares rather unfavourably with that of a giraffe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

I think IBB does work well for some people on certian high sites. Ive never heard many complaints on the RTE mast but is this a gamble you are willing to take. Im not sure what one you would be on but the north side seems worse off than the south.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

iMax wrote:

its pooh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,013 ✭✭✭✭Stark

IBB is a lot more reliable than it used to be these days, but a 2Mbit/s connection is still only a 1Mbit/s connection. A LOT better than the days of dialup speeds, but still false advertising bar the contention ratio (loophole). 2Mbit/s is the "peak" speed which you will rarely achieve, not the speed you can normally expect to get. Go with the likes of BT DSL on the other hand and you'll have twice the contention ratio, but you generally get close to advertised speeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Stark wrote:
    IBB is a lot more reliable than it used to be these days, but a 2Mbit/s connection is still only a 1Mbit/s connection. A LOT better than the days of dialup speeds, but still false advertising bar the contention ratio (loophole). 2Mbit/s is the "peak" speed which you will rarely achieve, not the speed you can normally expect to get. Go with the likes of BT DSL on the other hand and you'll have twice the contention ratio, but you generally get close to advertised speeds.

NTL advertise 3meg and 300kps up. I get these 24/7. COntention is an excuse for CRAP service

The more peoeple vote with their feet the sooner IBB will learn their lesson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Well I'm an IBB customer and I actually consider myself one of the lucky ones but I still think it's pooh... If I have a Metro Line of Sight, I'm going with them. Good bye IBB! (Or should I say "Good riddance"?).

Well I'm on the ballymun mast and although there were
    a few porblems last year, they service has been perfect
    since.

4 of us were playing BF2 last night with pings of 30 each.

then later i put on downloads to get 180kB/sec up and down.

Just google boards, and see which mast has the most
    moaners. if nobody is complaining about the mast that
    you are going to be on, then go for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

i've had IBB Breeze 1 meg for 3 weeks, not a problem with it, connection never goes below 800KB UP and 750KB down, and thats at peak times.

i'm right beside the ballymun mast though, like 200 yards away from it, so that could be the thing that has it so reliable for me.

ask people who are near the belcamp mast, if they're all givin out then dont go for it, but i'm delighted with the service so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Talisman

I'm on the Ballymun mast and it's been crap for over a month. Download speeds around 7kb/s, upload speed varying 0~14kb/s, consistently getting 25~45% packet lost and the knob jockies in support closed the ticket I opened last month because according to their reports the issues involved were resolved allegedly.

The direct debit has been cancelled and the adsl modem has arrived from Esat so it will soon be happy days once again.

I'm convinced that new customers are deliberately seperated from existing customers so that they definately have a good connection for the first few weeks. 9/10 times it goes downhill.

I'm waiting for someone better (NTL/Smart) to come my way, then i'm jumping ship as fast as i can.

Metro is tempting... but i'd like a cheaper package, and there have been quite a few teething problems with it which don't seem to have been sorted as of yet. IBB should be a last option. Their track record is bad enough. They constantly run out of bandwidth and oversubscribe their service. Its just not worth it. Until they can go a year without spending more than 3 months "oversubscribing" their service go with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

I'm with IBB and I'm movong as soon as I have checked the competitors.

I'm operating from the RTE mast and I'm doing a speed check right now.

Download 181 kbps
    Upload 142 kbps

Am I a happy IBB customer? No !
    Have IBB replied to my letter? No !
    Will I complain to Comreg about their service? Yes !

I'm convinced that new customers are deliberately seperated from existing customers so that they definately have a good connection for the first few weeks. 9/10 times it goes downhill.

What is that based on?

Give a source please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 EliCash

I live in Donaghmede too and I'm also on the Belcamp exchange. I've had Eircom and BT broadband in the past. Who told you you can't get broadband on that exchange? I just had Digiweb out and the signal is too weak, so you can rule them out too. Smart won't go live here until sometime in 2006, having originally promised March/April 2005!! I had been considering IBB about a year and a half ago, when they were about to cover this area. They assured me they'd let me know when the area was live. They didn't. So do they cover Donaghmede now? If they do, then I'd definitely check if they're reliable round these parts before committing to them. I'm running out of options here myself and am pissed off at being lied to and strung along for months by lots of different providers. I think it's gonna have to be BT or UTV at this stage for me. Anyone have any better suggestions? I know people who've had bad experience with billing from BT and UTV.

VinnyL wrote:
    i'm right beside the ballymun mast though, like 200 yards away from it, so that could be the thing that has it so reliable for me.

ask people who are near the belcamp mast, if they're all givin out then dont go for it, but i'm delighted with the service so far

Im very close to the atruim in D15 about 500 meters and it still sucks. And it has for over half the time ive had it.

Shiny wrote:
    What is that based on?

Give a source please.
    Based on conjecture that my friend has not had a problem yet on the tallaght mast since she was installed about 2 weeks ago, and yet myself, numerous boards.ie users and 2 personal friends (one on tallaght, one on threerock) are all damn lucky if we can achieve 1/2 our rated connection speed with less than 15% packetloss most of the time.

Of course, theres no proof as such, unless i was to ask an IBB tech and he were to give me a truthful answer. Of course, IBB lie through their teeth to me on the phone anyway... either that or some people are just clueless.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭MackQ

sisyphus wrote:

Well, my personal experience certainly tells me that their service IS dire.

Now I don't mind if a service provider has technical/quality/billing issues but when customers complain then their complaints need to be listened to and the problems put right in a timely and efficient manner. With IBB this hasn't been true in my experience. The impression I get is that IBB believe that their customers' problems will just go away if they ignore them. In reality what is happening, if you read the posts in this forum, is that their customers are just going away and for IBB that spells bad news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Shiny wrote:
    Here Here..

Here's an idea. Instead of you and your buddy pimping here, why don't you go and sort out that pathetic "service" that you offer? Or maybe it's beyond fixing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

Started logging my upload and download speeds for the letter going to Comreg.

Speed check 5 minutes ago is

Upload - 115 kbps
    Download - 97.20 kbps

That's off the IBB Tallaght Mast.

Reminds me of the good old days of black & white tellies, Ford Cortinas and dial-up modems!

Blaster99 wrote:
    Here's an idea. Instead of you and your buddy pimping here, why don't you go and sort out that pathetic "service" that you offer? Or maybe it's beyond fixing?
    What have I become the face of IBB because I am sick of constantly
    seeing the same people moaning in *every* single IBB thread?

If i remember the last time any of those guys revealed themselves
    around here, they had the face taken off them.

If anyone says anything positive about IBB, soon there are the "Do
    you work for IBB" questions etc....

At least "spooky donkey" who I regarded as one of the most vocal
    users about his connection is realistic in saying :

"I think IBB does work well for some people on certain high sites".

Others are determined to stop everybody trying IBB and the user
    might have had a perfectly fine connection.

So yes IBB are bad on certain High Sites. I don't know which ones.
    Yes they need to cop on and fix their problems so that their
    customers get at least a minimum quality of service on those sites.

But,

This does not mean that every user that asks about IBB needs the
    phrase "IBB are ****e, CRAP CRAP CRAP, BLA BLA ..." shoved
    down their throat every time, especially when they are thinking
    about getting breeze.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Shiny wrote:
    But,

This does not mean that every user that asks about IBB needs the
    phrase "IBB are ****e, CRAP CRAP CRAP, BLA BLA ..." shoved
    down their throat every time, especially when they are thinking
    about getting breeze.

Listen mate, if somebody posts asking for people's opinion about IBB, what are the people to do? Lie? Not reply because they're unhappy? If somebody's opinion is "IBB are ****e, CRAP CRAP CRAP, BLA BLA ..." then that's what they should say. Who are you exactly to tell people what to post?

And I'd like to add that I, myself, am beginning to wonder if you are not an IBB employee after all...

Advertisement