Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

anthony stokes

• 16-11-2005 11:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭iloveireland

he is 17 and he is currently playing for arsenal.i played against him a few times and he was unreal.he is supposed to be better than robbie keane so the arsenal fc web site said.

does anybody know how he is getting on and is he one for the future

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Certainly one for the future and I have mentioned him a couple of times as have the Arsenal fans like kaids. Problem at the moment is that he is being played on the wing at Arsenal and that is not his best position. Hopefully they will start to play him up front soon because I have high hopes for this lad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Ah he's a quality player. From crumlin, at the moment he is playing in the reserve's so that says a lot considering how young he is. And when he plays in the reserve's he's normally man of the match, and he weighs in with a fair amount of goals.

But a note of warning, the last time an Irish Arsenal player was getting this many reviews, Graham Barrett, it didnt quite happen for him. In fairness to Graham, injuries cursed him badly in his last 2 years. First it was glandular fever and then I think he kept getting a few niggling injuries. I played with Graham and so knew that he was something special, but i thought he would end up playing full time in the Premiership, not plying his trade for Livingston in Scotland. But thats just the way it happens, and so I hope Stokes is not built up to be something which he finds it hard to cope with. But if it is a question of talent then he will surely break into the Arsenal team maybe not this year, but probaly next.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

To be fair I don't think Graham Barrett was playing in the Arsenal reserves aged 15 (and scoring at that). Stokes is one of the core regulars for the reserves now which I think is a good sign, trouble is he's got Lupoli and Bendtner (6"3 17 year old Dane striker) who both have more than a goal a game average and just can't stop scoring. I hope he goes out on loan next year.

In fairness Barrett, was the captain of the youth team that thrashed West Ham in the FA Cup Final, think it was 6-1 on aggregate over two legs. So I think people thought Barrett was going to be the real deal, and even Brady thought he would make it at Arsenal until a few untimely injuries.
    But your right Stokes was playing at 15 and scoring goals in the reserves which apart from Cesc, is unheard of at Arsenal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

The better he does (I assume) the more money Arsenal owe Shels, so I wish him the best.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭j22

Stokes is 17

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

j22 wrote:
    Stokes is 17

I think we've already established that.

Rofl. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭iloveireland

i think he is doing alright for himself.i am proud to say that i have played pitch and put with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

2 hat tricks in 2 games is okay i suppose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I was listening to a UK radio station last week and they said he was English!!! Typical!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

I was listening to Newstalk the other night, and they seemed to think the only club he's played for is English! Typical! :)

Sure, the better he does, the more money Shelbourne get (I hope).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

2 hat tricks in 2 games is okay i suppose

its flippin deadly, so it is!

http://www.arsenal.com/player.asp?thisNav=first+team&plid=60109&clid=4421&cpid=703

Celtic v Falkirk is on Setanta tomorrow night if anyone's interested.

Trilla wrote:

Not as good as 3 hatricks in 2 games thou. Is it. Is it?
    He could do better in fairness. Maybe he should put more effort in?

Thread on the Falkirk forum:
    http://www.onefinfalkirk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11709&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=40

Amazingly he's 2 goals clear at the top of the goalscoring charts even though he wasn't a Falkirk player for their first 5 games of the season.

Here's his goals from Saturday:

1-0
    2-0
    3-0

His first touch couldn't be better. Places the ball exactly where he wants it.

Celtic set to bid for Stokes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,077 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

hmm i couldn't view those goals, only got sound, dont have necessary codec. whats needed to view it?

On Stokes goin to celtic, thats an interesting one! Does he go for the quite big club, or hold out to make it at Arsenal keeping in mind that henry, van persie, baptista, adebayor, lupoli and bendtnar are all probably ahead of him in the pecking order..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I think a permanent transfer away from Arsenal at this stage in his career would be a backward one. He's getting his experience out on loan and let's face it, Arsenal are horrendous in front of goal at the moment.

He'd be best off giving it at least one full season with Arsenal next year and if nothing comes out of it then maybe move on.

• Advertisement

~Rebel~ wrote:
    hmm i couldn't view those goals, only got sound, dont have necessary codec. whats needed to view it?
    You can download this codec:
    http://www.free-codecs.com/download_soft.php?d=2567&s=95

They've been uploaded to Youtube now anyway:
    1st goal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS2QXxMykcY
    2nd goal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZGl_g9JDxk
    3rd goal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etts2hFCvRM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

There's no point in discussing Stokes going to Celtic. It's not going to happen, not any time soon anyway. Arsenal will not sell, simple as. They don't send young players out on loan to put them in the shop window. If they don't cut it at Arsenal they get moved on eventually, but Stokes is having the best loan spell so far of any of the Arsenal youngsters loaned out over the past few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,077 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Stokes is having the best loan spell so far of any of the Arsenal youngsters loaned out over the past few years.

The problem is that Lupoli and Bendtner are both having fantastic loan spells as well so will be hard for them all to get a fair chance when they return to arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

~Rebel~ wrote:
    The problem is that Lupoli and Bendtner are both having fantastic loan spells as well so will be hard for them all to get a fair chance when they return to arsenal.
    Well it'll come down to whomever takes his chance the best, when and if he gets it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Goal disallowed against Celtic

psi wrote:
    Goal disallowed against Celtic
    It wasn't. He had an excellent left footed shot hit the post. It hit Boruc on the back on the way out. O'Donnoll (another Irish ex-Arsenal, along with Cregg) came in for the tap in but he was offside when the shot was hit. Maybe the fact that it his the Celtic keeper means he couldn't be offside (? Confusing rule) but it was disallowed anyway from O'Donnoll.

And Stokes has just equalised. Legend.

Xavi6 wrote:
    And Stokes has just equalised. Legend.

I'm pretty sure the guy is capable of scoring against any quality of opposition he plays.

psi wrote:
    I'm pretty sure the guy is capable of scoring against any quality of opposition he plays.

Except from the peno spot.....

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote:
    Except from the peno spot.....

Doesn't matter, Falkirk won on penalties.

He'll still claim the plaudits.

Sloppy defending by Celtic but nice finish by Stokes.

how come he isn't getting a run out against San Marino :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭iloveireland

i still dont think he would be half the player he is if he didnt play pitch and put with me back in 2002.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

i still dont think he would be half the player he is if he didnt play pitch and put with me back in 2002.
    Let go man!
    Seriously though, he does seem to be a quality prospect. I think he will be in the squad sooner rather than later, queue the "Irish Rooney" headlines!

how come he isn't getting a run out against San Marino

I take it, you didn't see the coverage by Setanta, as they had the exact same conversation on this. Have to say fairplay to Brian Kerr, he put his point across excellantly, whereas Lou Macari, kept badgering on, and not really making a point.

Kerr was saying to put him in the Irish full team now, would be too soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

While I'm not for a second doubting the potential of Stokes, or denying that I am exited at the thought of seeing him in the green a bit of perspective is needed here lads.

The guy has hit two hat-tricks against Dunfermiline and Dundee United, hardly world beaters, and I'd argue given their current form would be struggling in the EL. And I'm sure calls for Jason Byrne's inclusion would be dismissed straight off.

That said, Arsene Wenger has an eye for talent, and his record this season has been phenomenal, particularly for an 18 year old so long may it continue. I'd expect to see him named in the next squad should he keep up his form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MBC

Watched the Celtic v Falkirk game last, thought the 3 Irish Lads played really well and gave a great account of themselves. Cregg & O'Donnells peno's were taken really well, pity about stokes but the goal in Extra time and his all round play did him justice.

McGeady didn't have the best of game, but when on the ball he looks really dangerous it was just his passing was a bit off but he has fantastic skill and is a real talent.

The guy has hit two hat-tricks against Dunfermiline and Dundee United, hardly world beaters
    If it was that easy there'd be many players doing it. Stokes' positional sense, touch and finishing for all his goals can't be underestimated. I mentioned this on another forum but Kenny Miller went his first 7 games at Celtic without scoring. Many people just said that he hasn't missed any clear cut chances and he wasn't been given many chances. Stokes had 3 excellent shots on goal last night. Falkirk wouldn't create more chances than Celtic but Stokes is making it look like that.

As for your 2nd point. Falkirk were tipped for relegation by many. I'm sorry but the football they played last night would probably have them top of the Eircom league. Dunfermline and Dundee Utd are struggling this season in the SPL but they're full time clubs and would be top half EL teams at least. You have to remember that Noel Hunt was bought by Dunfermline for a reason, he was one of the better players in the EL. He's now playing in one of the SPL's worst teams and isn't exactly shining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Its good to hear of a new player coming through, Ireland certainly need as many as possible. Did he make the Irish B team squad?

Its a long way from his current feats to being a top player, but signs are good and welcome.

Redspider

eirebhoy wrote:
    If it was that easy there'd be many players doing it. Stokes' positional sense, touch and finishing for all his goals can't be underestimated. I mentioned this on another forum but Kenny Miller went his first 7 games at Celtic without scoring. Many people just said that he hasn't missed any clear cut chances and he wasn't been given many chances. Stokes had 3 excellent shots on goal last night. Falkirk wouldn't create more chances than Celtic but Stokes is making it look like that.

As for your 2nd point. Falkirk were tipped for relegation by many. I'm sorry but the football they played last night would probably have them top of the Eircom league. Dunfermline and Dundee Utd are struggling this season in the SPL but they're full time clubs and would be top half EL teams at least. You have to remember that Noel Hunt was bought by Dunfermline for a reason, he was one of the better players in the EL. He's now playing in one of the SPL's worst teams and isn't exactly shining.
    I'm not trying to belittle his achievements, or knock the SPL, I'm just trying to keep my (and everyones) feet on the ground regarding an 18 year old kid on possibly the richest vein of form that he will achieve ever in his career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

redspider wrote:
    Its good to hear of a new player coming through, Ireland certainly need as many as possible. Did he make the Irish B team squad?

Its a long way from his current feats to being a top player, but signs are good and welcome.

Redspider
    Yes.

Stokes is playing well again tonight. Half time in the Falkirk - Hearts game (live on Setanta) and he's come close to scoring after a great run and shot that went just over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

falkirk 1 hearts 1

good result against a decent side, falkirk have come a long way since last year!

I was very suprised he passed when he was in the box at the end and couldn't believe it didn't lead to a goal. None of the Falkirk players felt they were in a good enough position to shoot.

Roy Keane was in the crowd which is interesting. Obviously everyone would say he's looking at Stokes, maybe he was, but I wouldn't be suprised if he was there to see Cregg aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Sent off today for 2 bookings.

Foran got 2 in the game

Motherwell 3-2
    Falkirk L
    Foran (pen) 45
    Foran (pen) 49
    McDonald 75
    Stokes 36
    Latapy 71

Bookings:
    McDonald 9
    Foran 39
    Kinniburgh 52
    McGarry 57

Bookings:
    Barr 20
    Twaddle 45
    O'Donnell 48
    Cregg 47
    Stokes 77

Sent off:
    Stokes 78

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

The first 2 yellow cards of his career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

10 yellows and 2 pens :confused:

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

Sonds like the ref went balistic!

Both bookings were debatable, and the ref gave to very soft peno's to Motherwell. Keeper might have done better for Stokes goal, but it was still a good strike from a decent angle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

are these games all on setanta? or do they have a roundup?

• Advertisement
Advertisement