Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

anthony stokes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

VinnyL wrote:
    are these games all on setanta? or do they have a roundup?
    A program called The Full SPL is on every Saturday night on Setanta 1 and repeated at 12 on the Sunday afternoon. It's all SPL on Setanta from 12-5 on Sunday's.

Stokes got young player of the month again.

August: Aiden McGeady
    Septemeber: Aiden McGeady
    October: Anthony Stokes
    November: Anthony Stokes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Top scorer in the SPL so far, the boys got a lot of talent. Looks to be sticking with Falkirk until the end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,327 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Stokes wrote:
    "Henrik Larsson was the biggest star when I was growing up and to an extent, one day, I would love to play for Celtic."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

"to an extent" ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,327 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I was thinking that as well, strange choice of phrase. Why does he not just say what he means?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

as in "to an extent.....but sure I'm happy playin wherever im playin at the mo."

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

or maybe ,

"if i had to, as a last resort, i might possibly consider Celtic, if there was no other options"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

First Half Hat-trick for Stokes Today at home against Inverness CT

33rd 37th and 45th minutes

is he heading back to arsenal after this game?

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Go on Stokesy! What's that now, 16 goals in 17 and a half games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

The lad can't stop scoring at the moment. Not sure about what will happen in the future... still don't see him displacing Adebayor and Baptista from the Arsenal team. There's rumours that he might go to Celtic, which would mean he has a chance of picking up some Champions League experience, but I'm not sure he'd get in the first team straight away. Right now, he needs to keep playing.

I don't know, sounds like Wenger wants him back.

"It depends on him. I will not force him to come back."

http://www.rte.ie/sport/2006/1229/stokes.html

As for Celtic, he'd walk into the first team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Read in the Indo (at least i think it was) that Wenger said he can stay in Scotland if he wants for the season.

Hmmm.... I don't know, 16 goals in 17 games is a tasty tally. If he could even do half that in the prem it would be brilliant. After todays disaster against Sheffield, I feel we could really do with someone like him. Would Arsene not be a bit of a fool to let him go when we don't have a goal poacher?

PS: I'm still not sold on Adebayor :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Papa Smut wrote:

He is Maradona compared to that useless cnut called alliadare.
    8 Years at Arsenal and the lad still cant do the basics right. What is Wenger at?

Sell off to some conference team and get either Stokes or Bertender back. Arsenal are desperately short up front.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Papa Smut wrote:
    Hmmm.... I don't know, 16 goals in 17 games is a tasty tally. If he could even do half that in the prem it would be brilliant. After todays disaster against Sheffield, I feel we could really do with someone like him. Would Arsene not be a bit of a fool to let him go when we don't have a goal poacher?

In fairness, Sheff Utd had a defender in goal. The reason they didnt score was not that Stokes is in Scotland.

OT but has any team played against an outfield player for that long and not scored?:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Serbian

Stekelly wrote:
    OT but has any team played against an outfield player for that long and not scored?:)

That would be a good question to ask The Knowledge.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/f/falkirk/6221293.stm

I really hope Celtic try their utmost to get him.

I'm baffled as to why Arsenal bothered signing Stokes now, if they are indeed to sell him in January. Surely if you sign a good young prospect then you hope he will perform well at lower levels before being able to make the step-up to the first team. Stokes' goal record in the SPL is sensational, and yet he more than likely won't even get a look-in at Arsenal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    I'm baffled as to why Arsenal bothered signing Stokes now, if they are indeed to sell him in January. Surely if you sign a good young prospect then you hope he will perform well at lower levels before being able to make the step-up to the first team. Stokes' goal record in the SPL is sensational, and yet he more than likely won't even get a look-in at Arsenal.
    They're not signing him, they're recalling him from loan. They took him on the books as a youth player 5 years ago.

I'd imagine that one of two things have happened. Either Arsenal have a firm offer for him and are recalling him to sell him or they have called him back to strengthen their somewhat blunt attack. I'd imagine the former is more likely.

• Advertisement

psi wrote:
    They're not signing him, they're recalling him from loan.

I didn't mean why they are "signing him now", I meant "I don't know now why they signed him". :)

I know he signed a few years ago, he left Shelbourne. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I wonder how much of a cut of any price he commands will come back into Ollie Byrne's greasy hands?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I'd be surprised if Arsenal sell him, I think they may simply recall him from Scotland so he can be loaned to a Premiership club for experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    I didn't mean why they are "signing him now", I meant "I don't know now why they signed him". :)

I know he signed a few years ago, he left Shelbourne. :o

Ah I see - it was the word now in your post that confused me into thinking you meant signing him now. I see I should have ignored it! :p

Stokes himself said he wouldn't return unless he would get a chance to play football. So he obviously knows wats going on. We'll find out soon I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Havent seen any of his goals but have been keeping an eye out for his team every matchday, great to see the lad doing so well.

Thats 3 hat tricks now ?!

Whats the standard of his goals like? Headers, tap ins, 20 yard screamers :confused:

Sizzler wrote:
    Whats the standard of his goals like? Headers, tap ins, 20 yard screamers :confused:
    All usually close (ish) range. Left foot, right foot, head. He's a bit like a Larsson or a Solskjaer. Great positional sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

According to Wenger, if Stokes doesn't want to leave Arsenal then he wont be sold. So he obviously sees something there for him. He signed a new contract in the summer as well I think. But with the likes of Henry, Adebayor, Bendtner, Vela there already, I dunno if he'll be there for the long run.

Would love to see Celtic get him

And yeah, for those who remember me, I'm back!!

andyman wrote:
    And yeah, for those who remember me, I'm back!!

ye, hadnt heard anything bout he "peeky" fella in aaages!

RE stokezer: Wenger isnt sayin stuff like "ye hes deadly, i want him in me team!".

ferguson says stuff like "ronaldo is rappeh...so is rooney!". wenger is all like "ye, wah-evah, stokes is like, ya know, wah-evah! he can leave if he wants. wah-evah be-atch!".

Doesnt sound like wenger considers him a side-kick for terry hernry, en ce moment, tbh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

The_B_Man wrote:
    ye, hadnt heard anything bout he "peeky" fella in aaages!

RE stokezer: Wenger isnt sayin stuff like "ye hes deadly, i want him in me team!".

ferguson says stuff like "ronaldo is rappeh...so is rooney!". wenger is all like "ye, wah-evah, stokes is like, ya know, wah-evah! he can leave if he wants. wah-evah be-atch!".

Doesnt sound like wenger considers him a side-kick for terry hernry, en ce moment, tbh!

what a post::::::::::::::this is why we love you B_Man

Trilla wrote:

Yeh, he posts drunken gibberish in the wee hours... :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

i'd like to see him go on loan to a championship club.

Here's Falkirk v Inverness highlights:
    http://www.zshare.net/video/falkirk3inverness1-avi.html

Download link

Nice pass from Cregg for one of the goals.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Trilla wrote:
    Yeh, he posts drunken gibberish in the wee hours... :p

Damn, forgot about this one! :p

i think the point i was tryin to make was that wenger never said he wants him back, but instead said he can come back if he wants. he didnt sound too pushed to be honest, especially when you compare him to fergie spoutin on how ronaldo is the best winger in the world. im not comparin the 2 players, just sayin that premiership managers tend to be a bit more vocal when tryin to support players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

eirebhoy wrote:
    Here's Falkirk v Inverness highlights:
    http://www.zshare.net/video/falkirk3inverness1-avi.html

Download link

Nice pass from Cregg for one of the goals.
    The bit of skill at 3:45m is pure class. But then again I suppose you can afford to be a little bit flash when you're 3-0 up and you're the one that scored all 3 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Stokes has reportedly moved to Charlton for €4.1million. While i would have liked to see him getting his chance to play at the Emirates - I wish the lad all the best in the future, and I hope he starts banging them in, as I wouldn't like to see him down the Championship next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Magic Pips

Roddy23 wrote:
    Stokes has reportedly moved to Charlton for €4.1million. While i would have liked to see him getting his chance to play at the Emirates - I wish the lad all the best in the future, and I hope he starts banging them in, as I wouldn't like to see him down the Championship next year.

I hope this isnt true... good luck to him if is

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Pity. Would have like him to get a few months with the Arsenal first team. Hope he does well and gets his game.

Now is wish aliadiare will just **** off.

If he was English i wonder what kind of price the British Tabloids would have placed on his head?

Don't you mean "English Tabloids"? :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

----
    Hotshot teenage striker Anthony Stokes, who's currently the top scorer in the Scottish Premier League despite no longer being on Falkirk's books, has been sold in a £2.7 million deal.

Stokes decided to join Charlton after being told by manager Arsène Wenger that he had no future at the Emirates Stadium.

The 18-year-old striker said: "I feel I'm capable of scoring goals in the Premiership and joining Charlton Athletic most certainly suits my current situation."

The deal is a baffling one as manager Arsène Wenger has been asking Stokes to prove his capabilities, and he had done more than that by being top of the Scottish scoring charts.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Don't you mean "English Tabloids"? :D

I stand corrected.

Stokes to Charlton - is that a confirmed deal ??

sundula wrote:
    I stand corrected.

Stokes to Charlton - is that a confirmed deal ??
    Nothing confirmed. I think it's this site making things up:
    http://arsenal-mania.com/news/3103448/Stokes-sold.html

It looks like this could be for real since Charlton are apparently looking to offload Darren Bent. Very risky if it's true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Real Madrid are considering a shock £7m bid for Everton defender Joleon Lescott. (Daily Mirror)

:D

classic.

• Advertisement

I dont know what Stokes under age record is with Arsenal or Ireland but based on his performances in the Scot Premier if he was English what value with the Media have on his head - 5 or 6 million stg ?. When you think what the Gunners paid for Walcott.

sundula wrote:
    I dont know what Stokes under age record is with Arsenal or Ireland but based on his performances in the Scot Premier if he was English what value with the Media have on his head - 5 or 6 million stg ?. When you think what the Gunners paid for Walcott.

Micah Richards is another example, £20 million after 30 senior appearances? It's mostly English players who have the inflated values though.

Walcott was an absolute steal compared to some deals, including that £20m rumour about Richards.

Walcott seems to have a bright future and from what I have seen of him he looks good. But a steal at 12mil ?

Me thinks Southampton should hire you as Media and Promotions Director :)

sundula wrote:
    Walcott seems to have a bright future and from what I have seen of him he looks good. But a steal at 12mil ?

Me thinks Southampton should hire you as Media and Promotions Director :)

Walcott only cost £5m up-front, the rest of the money is based on various other clauses. In essence, they'll only pay the money if Theo achieves what his potential suggests he can and will.

Like Wayne Rooney, it was quite clear to people in the know that Theo was going to be huge, even before he had made a senior appearance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement