Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

anthony stokes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭sundula

I suppose it never sounds a good to say 5mil + add-ons when you can just say 12mil. As SHam fan you will be hoping he hits the targets in order to get the cash for the Club.

Be nice to see Stokes given his chance at Arsenal considering his sucess in Scotland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

sundula wrote:
    I suppose it never sounds a good to say 5mil + add-ons when you can just say 12mil.
    Of course not. That's why men, when talking about the size of their penis, always state the size when it's fully erect (at it's full potential if you will) rather than giving the size when it's flacid. Sounds better.

Anthony Stokes to Penis's in 103 posts. Not bad

Well here's hopig that in another 103 posts it'll go back to being about Anthony Stokes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

*ahem* on topic, I'm actually quite worried about this development.

Firstly, if you really look at Stoke's scottish record, he scored 16 goals in 18 games but that includes 3 hat tricks (and if memory serves, a brace) - so what you're actually saying is that he has scored in 6/7 individual games out of 18. Due the to gulf in class in the SPL, its arguable as to whether this suggests he'd find any sort of consitancy in the Premiership.

The second and more worrying thing, is that Wenger is not exactly a novice when it comes to identifying young talent. Of the young players he's kept faith in - you have them developing into the likes of Anelka, Viera, Toure, Cole, Clichy and let's not forget Fabregas - to name but a few.

Look at some of the high profile youngsters he has let go - Upson, Bently, Pennant - Only Pennant plays in a top 4/5 (sorry pool fans) club and arguably he isn't the best player of the three (I'd vote Upson) and none of them have set the world alight.

I hope Stokes proves Wenger wrong if he is indeed moving to the addicks, but if he does, he'd be one of the few to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

as psi says, its near impossible to judge a player at falkirk on same scale as a prem player. What would be best for stokes (and the irish team long term) would be a season loan to a championship side or prem side.

psi wrote:
    Firstly, if you really look at Stoke's scottish record, he scored 16 goals in 18 games but that includes 3 hat tricks (and if memory serves, a brace) - so what you're actually saying is that he has scored in 6/7 individual games out of 18. Due the to gulf in class in the SPL, its arguable as to whether this suggests he'd find any sort of consitancy in the Premiership.
    I know the point that you're trying to make, but getting 3 hat tricks and a brace in so few games is no mean feat regardless of the league he's playing in.

psi wrote:
    The second and more worrying thing, is that Wenger is not exactly a novice when it comes to identifying young talent.
    That's the thing that I'm actually worried about. But I suppose if you look on the optimistic side of things ya gotta hope that Wenger just feels that he doesn't suit their style of play rather than him lacking any talent which he obviously doesn't.

I agree with PSI, I would like to see him challenge at higher level. But i would like to see him make it at Arsenal and although the level of the Scots Prem is below the Prem, players who score that regularly up there can usually bang in a few in England.

I also think Wenger is the best judge of youth players in England so if he wanted to keep hold of Stokes it would speak volumes for Stoke.

My only disagreement with PSI is Bentley, he is easy to see that he is a footballing god. :) His amazing skills will lead Blackburn back to the glory of sixth unless of course Milan, Man U or Real Madrid come knocking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

More now on BBC Website http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/f/falkirk/6235101.stm personally if celtic comes in for him he should move there, he doesnt want to get sucked into a relegation battle or be stuck in the first division at such a young age it will stunt his growth as a footballer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

has it been confirmed he is going to Charlton? no disrespect to Charlton but they will be a Championship team next season and i believe stokes would be better served stayin on Loan and then signing full time with a mid table team in the prem i.e. fulham, wigan, villa, newcastle or even man city who need a goal scorer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

According to this he's signed for Charlton.

http://www.sunderland-mad.co.uk/news...TMNW&id=317430

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Lads your day dreaming if you think Stokes would get into any other Premiership side. charlton is a great team for him, as they dont actually have any other strikers who are fit so he is guranteed a game.

who cares if they get relegated? He can move, or stay. Personnaly i think if he did move to charlton he should stay in the championship with them for a season.

Robbie is the best striker Ireland has probaly ever had and he spent a good few seasons in the Championship(division 1) before making the leap. Kevin doyle didnt do badly either.

trying to fight for his place with a premiership team at this age wont do him any good. getting first team football, and scoring goals will, even at SPL or championship level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

is it true Stokes is another Monkstown prodigy, following myself and Paul McGrath ... anyone know anything about his history in south county Dublin -- come to think of it O'Dea from Celtic is local as well i believe, i play football with one of his relatives and he went to school nearby :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I think Stokes played for a club in Lucan, thats about all I know though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Stokes is from Crumlin - he used to play for Lourdes Celtic, among other teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Celtic table late bid for Stokes

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/f/falkirk/6235101.stm

Celtic should get him?? Aint he a Celtic fan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

It'll be interesting to see how he gets on, whoever he goes to...I think Sunderland would be the best move, Championship football, pretty much guaranteed a starting place, a good place to learn, massive Irish conrtingent - Celtic seems too much too soon

Celtic is too easy, strolling throw mickey mouse SPL defenses for a few more years wont do him much good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Celtic is too easy, strolling throw mickey mouse SPL defenses for a few more years wont do him much good.

It didn't do Larrsson any harm. If Stokes spends a couple of years in the SPL, developing his game, but still knocking in the goals, it will be more likely to produce a top player in the long run, while going to a premiership club could mean he makes it big, or could mean he doesn't.

I think Celtic or Sunderland are better options for him than Charlton, especially as Keane seems set on buying for the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Blackjack

I would not suggest it's that easy, remember Derek Riordan has only started 1 game for Celtic, despite being a scorer of 20 goals a season for a few seasons prior. He's only started 1 game for Celtic (against Motherwell) and scored in the same game.

I really don't think it's a cast that it's that simple, but Stokes would have to compete against Vinnegor of Hesslink (However his name may be spelt - no offence to the man but I've had too many beers to spell check it) McGeady, Maloney and many other first team players. I've no doubting his ability, I just fear he may get lost in the reserves.

Celtic have a depth in their Squad - look at Stephen Pearson, a man who was pretty highly rated in the Scottish Game, now languishing in the reserves.

Celtic would be the wrong move unless he gets a regular first team game, but to be honest I think Charton might (IMHO) have been a better option. A far better chance to make an impact as they are in need of a Striker and subsequently a better name for himself, and therefore a commanding position for transfer, should they drop. If his agent was anyway decent, this sort of clause would be built in to any transfer deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,327 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

:rolleyes:

Usual guff from people who have no idea about the SPL

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I am very unhappy about this. I suppose I just have to trust Wenger's judgement, his track record has earned it. Still though, what was the point of the loan, and saying he hoped Stokes would come back to Arsenal? Stokes has done as well as anyone could have possibly done, and his attitude has been absolutely spot on. I hope Stokes proves Wenger wrong and does brilliantly wherever he goes. I think Sunderland would be a good move for him, but with the stories about Bent moving from Charlton, that could be a good move for him too.

With regards to those questioning his ability, it's true Wenger never really gets these decisions wrong, but because he's letting him go doesn't necessarily mean he's not going to be a quality player. There is a lot of competition at Arsenal; there's Henry, Van Persie and Adebayor as established 'senior' strikes (though the latter two are young themselves), possibly Baptista, and then the other young strikers. It seems Walcott will move into the centre eventually and he'll always get favouritism due to the money involved in his transfer, and apparently the boss rates Carlos Vela extremely highly - possibly comparable to his view on Fabregas 3 years ago. It was always unlikely Stokes would be kept really. Still pissed off about it though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I know I'm biased but from an Ireland point of view I think Celtic is by far and away the best option for a striker. Scoring week in week out can only be good. He's also playing 6-10 European games, 4 Old Firm games, Games against the 2 Edinbirgh clubs, Cup finals, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

eirebhoy wrote:
    I know I'm biased but from an Ireland point of view I think Celtic is by far and away the best option for a striker. Scoring week in week out can only be good. He's also playing 6-10 European games, 4 Old Firm games, Games against the 2 Edinbirgh clubs, Cup finals, etc.

Will he play though? As mentioned there's plenty of competition up front so it's unlikely that he would start the bigger games. Then you're left with him actually only getting a run out against the lesser teams in the league.

At least if he went to say Charlton he would play against all the big clubs, especially if Darren Bent moves on. I could see him doing a similar thing to Kev Doyle there.

If he's good enough, he'll start for Celtic. Miller and Zurawski aint scoring enough

• Advertisement

I don't see how people think him moving to Charlton coulld be a good thing. First off, it's way above the level he is used to, or has had any experience for.
    Yes he'll play against the big teams, but that doesn't mean he will defo get better.

Best move is to stay at Celtic to learn his trade for 2 or 3 more years, get some CL experience, get lots of goals in the SPL, improve his consistancy, then a big club will come for him. Moving to Charlton now, considering where they are, is just kinda silly.

The choices he has are Celtic in the SPL, or Charlton in relegation fight, then probably championship.

PHB wrote:
    I don't see how people think him moving to Charlton coulld be a good thing. First off, it's way above the level he is used to, or has had any experience for.
    Yes he'll play against the big teams, but that doesn't mean he will defo get better.

Best move is to stay at Celtic to learn his trade for 2 or 3 more years, get some CL experience, get lots of goals in the SPL, improve his consistancy, then a big club will come for him. Moving to Charlton now, considering where they are, is just kinda silly.

The choices he has are Celtic in the SPL, or Charlton in relegation fight, then probably championship.

And what's wrong with learning your trade in the Championship? Doyle did it.

Doyle learnt the majority of his trade in Ireland, then a year in the Championship, then into the premiership. He is now 23, and only moved to the championship at age 20/21. A bit more time in the lower leagues doesn't do anybody any harm.

PHB wrote:
    A bit more time in the lower leagues doesn't do anybody any harm.

By that do you mean the SPL?! ;)

Xavi6 wrote:
    Will he play though?
    Stokes is a better goalscorer than any player at Celtic. The perfect partner for Vennegoor. Zurawski has been very poor this season while Miller isn't a natural goalscorer. I think Stokes would walk into the first team.

Zurawski was said to have a very good first season last year. If Stokes joined Falkirk at the start of the season he'd almost certainly have scored more in half a season than Zurawski got all last season.

Things are looking good for Celtic:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/f/falkirk/6235101.stm

Nakamura has gone too long without an intelligient striker like Stokes to feed. I really hope this goes through.

• Advertisement

PHB wrote:
    Doyle learnt the majority of his trade in Ireland, then a year in the Championship, then into the premiership. He is now 23, and only moved to the championship at age 20/21. A bit more time in the lower leagues doesn't do anybody any harm.

What about robbie Keane? He did it.

Yeh, but Keano was special. Try think back to what a talent he was, and the potential he showed, which he is only now beginning to reach. Sure, Keane probably would have been better plying his trade in the lower leagues for a bit too, his career might have actually become the career it could have been.

Special players can make the jump to the big time from a young age, but the majority of players don't. The majority start off in the lower leagues and work their way up, and it's a much safer bet.

Stokes has choosen charlton apperantly.

Celtic will sign Arsenal's 18-year-old Irish striker Anthony Stokes at 5pm, sources in the club have said.

The fee involved will be €3.6m, with Stokes earning €1.8m a year.

Stokes netted 14 goals in 16 games for Falkirk in the SPL before Christmas.

Charlton Athletic and Sunderland had also agreed a fee with the London club for the young Irishman, and Roy Keane is reported to have spent six hours trying to persuade Stokes to sign last night.
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/?jp=CWSNCWKFIDID

That's crazy money for someone his age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Xavi6 wrote:
    And what's wrong with learning your trade in the Championship? Doyle did it.

As pointed out Doyle did it in Ireland and proved if your good enough your good enough wherever you play, i agree the SPL is a joke but its the best place for him atm CL football being the biggest thing imo.

How many irish players playing in that ?

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

eirebhoy wrote:
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/?jp=CWSNCWKFIDID

That's crazy money for someone his age.

€34,500 a week , for an 18 year old . That is crazy money .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,327 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Crazy decision by Stokes if he is going to Charlton. Not too fussed about the knock back to Celtic though as it was silly money offered.

Charlton?? Will his new teammates create the chances for him to convert in numbers that will garner interest when he drops down a division?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Big mistake by Stokes if the reports of him going to Charlton are true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

eirebhoy wrote:

IDIOTS :o

http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/?jp=CWSNCWCWAUGB

Obviously Strachan couldnt guarantee him 1st team football :confused: Pardew is a decent skin and he probably told him he will play each week. Allied to the fact the lad has spent a few years in London with the gunners he might have preferred to stay there rather than Glasgow or Sunderland, the latter place being rather bleek to put it mildly !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

He should have went to Sunderland. He'll be in championship next season anyway, may as well have been with a team on the up as one on a downer after relegation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Awful decision by Stokes. Pardew has essentially thrown the burden of Charlton's Premier League survival on a kids shoulders (assuming that Darren Bent will be leaving). This move won't do his career one bit of good, he would have been better off at Celtic, even if only for a year and a half.

That said, if he impresses, he could get bought up by someone else. Still think it's a poor decesion by the kid, pity Keano couldn't get his hands on him.

:rolleyes:

Usual guff from people who have no idea about the SPL

i agree with you 100%. celtic and rangers rarely give the hammerings they used to and with little Gretna getting to the cup final and clyde making celtic look like mugs last season i feel it is well and truly on the up. Throw hearts and aberdeen fighting for 2nd place into the mix and interest in players from Prem clubs like Stephen Naismith and Stokes + the 2 for Hibs, you have alot of progress being made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

i agree with you 100%. celtic and rangers rarely give the hammerings they used to and with little Gretna getting to the cup final and clyde making celtic look like mugs last season i feel it is well and truly on the up. Throw hearts and aberdeen fighting for 2nd place into the mix and interest in players from Prem clubs like Stephen Naismith and Stokes + the 2 for Hibs, you have alot of progress being made.

Hearts looked a half decent team for about 6 months till the owner stopped taking whatever pills were keepong him in check. He's a looney now and the club is in the ****ter, all sorts of crap going on.

Rangers are gone to pot aswell. Doing their level best to come 3rd in a 2 horse race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

Celtic are trying to change from MON's style to a more European style. They have gotten to the last 16 of the UCL, something, MON's team (with Larsson) couldn't, despite just as good opportunities as GS.

Celtic released/sold no less than 20 first team squad players last season, GS is still rebuilding the squad to his style, performances my be suffering but he's still getting the right results 95% of the time. Give him another season and I think he'll have the team that can cut through SPL with more ease.

Hesselink is also back and Zurawski is works better with a targetman, e.g. him and Hartson last year.

To sum up, I can only see Celtic improving their squad because they are financially strong, long time since they could say that, and they hire 11 scouts this season, something MON didnt do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Wish Wenger would have kept him till the summer and given him a go in Carling Cup at least. He was talking about how unfortunate it was Stokes had a lot of congestion in front of him at Arsenal. Named the usual suspects and Alialiadere (sp?). Haven't seen one thing from Ali yet to convinve me of his value to Arsenal. He went to Celtic and didn't impress yet Stokes gets 14 goals for falkirk and he's still below Ali.
    I'm reluctant to criticise Wenger too much as he knows more about Stokes than me but i can't understand this belief in Ali.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

MON had 3 holding midfielders, GS has one and 3 attacking mids, if i was a fan i know what i would prefer to see.

kdjac

Advertisement