Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

anthony stokes

1235»

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I think it'll turn out to be a good move for Stokesy. He'll get regular football at a decent level, okay it's not the premiership but he's still only 18 and will still find it a challenge. I'm sure Roy Keane will look after him and I wouldn't be surprised to see Sunderland promoted in the next few seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Where the hell is all the sunderland for the premiership love coming from?

:D Roy Keane of course. People want him to succeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

smemon wrote:
    :D Roy Keane of course. People want him to succeed.

Some people want him to fail.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Some people want him to fail.

Oh get over it will ya. Its all old news now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

No, i mean why do people suddenly think Sunderland are promotion material? They really havent been very good this season. Does everyone expect Stokes to be that good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Good luck to Stokes and Roy , I for one want Sunderland promoted -- there my second favorite team in England now !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Okay I'm over it, I really hope my hero Roy Keane gets the mighy Sunderland promoted to the Premiership.

I'm not at all bitter that 98fm give the scores of all the Premiership matches every Saturday afternoon, as well as "Roy Keane's Sunderland" and "Mick McCarthys Wolves", as well as throwing in the Crystal Palace score if Clinton Morrison scored, but never mention Southampton (unless we are playing one of the above of course). Oh, and Celtic/Rangers of course...

:D:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

No, i mean why do people suddenly think Sunderland are promotion material? They really havent been very good this season. Does everyone expect Stokes to be that good?

Sunderland are 3 points off the playoff places and 13 points off the top. Thats a fairly good reason to consider them for promotion for several reasons:

1: The Championship is a very competitive league - by and large teams will take points off each other regardless of league position - to be within 20 points of the leaders at the halfway point, historically, gives you a good chance at the promotion/play-off run-in.

2: Keane joined a team that had lost their first 4 league games. - thats a 12 point deficit to start your promotion push with. He has then gone on to record 37 points out of 66 - which, considering he has rebuilt the team, is a very good return.

3: Keane has been strengthening his squad very astutely. Most neutral observers will admit that he has made some very good buys.

4: They are still within touching distance of the play-offs despite and injury-strewn season.

While Sunderland's promotion is by no means a certainty, they have as good a chance as any team from 3rd-12th of making the play-offs. They have certainy improved as a footballing team and as a squad since Keane came in.

I don't think anyone looking at Sunderland this season, from an unbiased view (and remember I've been accused of being an anti-keabe ABU) can suggest that they don't have a good chance of challenging for promotion this season.

Next season is an undiscovered country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Yeah, I think Sunderland are doing well considering their start under Quinn. Stokes could be just what they need as apparantly they waste plenty of chances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think Keane has a good chance of a playoff place, but what I think is most impressive is the players he has brought in. He has used his reputation incredibly well, and if they don't get promoted this year, I think they'll defo be up there again next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Okay I'm over it, I really hope my hero Roy Keane gets the mighy Sunderland promoted to the Premiership.

I'm not at all bitter that 98fm give the scores of all the Premiership matches every Saturday afternoon, as well as "Roy Keane's Sunderland" and "Mick McCarthys Wolves", as well as throwing in the Crystal Palace score if Clinton Morrison scored, but never mention Southampton (unless we are playing one of the above of course). Oh, and Celtic/Rangers of course...

:D:p

You're not forced to listen to 98fm are you? I just use livescore.com, and bbc sport for results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

PHB wrote:
    I think Keane has a good chance of a playoff place,
    I'd actually say playoff's are a cert, he has a decent chance of automatic promotion. Derby have to travel to Sunderland so that's a 6 pointer. They should win that so that's 7 more points they have to make up. Definitely achievable.

Advertisement