Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Up to €14,000 to spend on a diesel - recommendations...

Options
  • 17-11-2005 12:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭

Moving up in the years hopefully.
    Would like to stick with diesel due to my mileage (about 500-600 miles/week).

Drove a octavia, didn't particularly like it.
    Driving an Astra for the last 3 years - no problems with it (120k on the clock now) other than it's a bit slow to accelerate.
    My last 4 cars have been opel, would like to try something different.

Quite like the look of a hatch (has to be a 4 door btw). Almera, Golf, Audi, Corolla etc. Not sure if I'll get a 01 or 02 diesel for 14k though?

Any recommenadations or opionions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭useeme

jap camry?

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Cucullan

You'd get an 02 maybe an 03 Mondeo for that money, I bought an 01 2l diesel 2 months back and love it, it goes pretty fast and has a fairly good mpg. But if you go looking at one make sure its a Zetec or Ghia not an LX model as it has no alloys etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭bucks

Or how about a Bmw 320d, has the looks and reliability.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

I think the mondeo is a good suggestion. Go for the Zetec or higher, not only has it the extras, but they also have a more powerful incarnation of the diesel engine (115 v 90 hp). Best part is the Zetec isnt worth more than the LX secondhand. Mondeos are good value secondhand, and the values will probably take another hit when the new model is announced. I have clocked 160k on my Mk1 TD. Its great to drive, if slightly dated looking and underpowered. Very under rated car IMO.

I saw a nice Bora TDI with 44k for sale recently for about €13k. Cant remember the year, but it was around 02 ish.

Diesel Avensi(?) and Corollas can be expensive because of the demand from taxi drivers. My parents have had a 99 and 02 Avensis, done about 80k on both and were troublefree, if slightly thirsty. However you will sell an 8 year old Avensis, a Mondeo is for life. :)

Nissan never made much of an effort with Diesels. Dont think there is a recent Almera D. Recent Almera Vans have 2.2 Renault lumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

bucks wrote:
    Or how about a Bmw 320d, has the looks and reliability.

For 14k, with managable miles?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

maidhc wrote:
    For 14k, with managable miles?

unlikely indeed and forget about '01 or '02 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

I like the look of the Mondeo but never considered one (it is a Ford after all:p ). Maybe I'll consider one now.
    Any other high milage Mondeo owners out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Squirrel wrote:

That Golf looks like the base model which probably doesn't even have electric windows.
    BigCon wrote:
    I like the look of the Mondeo but never considered one (it is a Ford after alltongue.gif ). Maybe I'll consider one now.
    Any other high milage Mondeo owners out there?

A mate of mine traded a 03 Zetec TDCi a couple of months ago with around 80k miles on the clock and I don't think he ever had any issues with it. Very roomie car but depreciation is hard, bad if you buy new but good if your buying used. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

bazz26 wrote:
    That Golf looks like the base model which probably doesn't even have electric windows.

A mate of mine traded a 03 Zetec TDCi a couple of months ago with around 80k miles on the clock and I don't think he ever had any issues with it. Very roomie car but depreciation is hard, bad if you buy new but good if your buying used. ;)

i have a 03 Ghia X tdci...so far really really really happy with it. Try and source a mondeo with a TDCI engine if possible would be my comment on it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement