Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Defending The Brendan Courtney Show

• 17-11-2005 12:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭

Ok, I watched the first week, it was ok... got alot of negitive reviews but i didnt think it was so bad for a first show! Bit scripted, but ok... i said i'd check the second before i gave it up!

The second show was so much better, he toned himself down a good bit, and it actually turns out he's really funny... and really quick! From Huey not knowing Stephen Gaetly's name, when he was sitting beside him listening to his life story for more than 10 mins. And then the audience life thing (very Graham Nortan, but screw it ... thats off the air now), even down to the end where they walked outside to finish up the show, and Huey followed them out and lit up a cigerette and just stayed outside! Brilliant!

Amazingly Improved .. missed the start again, but what the hell ... his monolougues are meant to be ****e anyway!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Stank to the rafters from what I saw. Graham Norton could probably sue for something or another, but shouldn't - why let his name become attached to anything related to that show..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I thought it was fairly poor and boring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I formed an opinion of the show based solely on my particular dislike for Mr Courtney, without ever having seen or watched it...and judging by the replies to this thread so far, I wasn't too wide of the mark...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

limerick_man, do you work for TV3, or do you just happen to love terrible television?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Ray777

I think the show has potential. Or at least it would, if they had a proper studio-based set and another presenter. I'm sure Brendan Courtney has his talents, but presenting a chat show isn't one of them (nor is looking at the correct camera). There's definitely a gap in the market for a midweek chat show. It just needs to be sharper and more professional than this effort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

limerick_man, do you work for TV3, or do you just happen to love terrible television?

Thank you. Glad I'm not the only one who noticed. Genuinely beginning to suspect that you do work for them at this stage.

Incidentally, getting back to the show... did Courtney remind anybody of Joey (from Friends) when he was auditioning to host an entertainment show, and couldn't look at the right camera at any given time?

Another criticism is that he alienates his audience and just puts them down, something that Graham Norton kind of did, but not really - he charmed them and put them down at the same time, it was a subtle difference, but it definitely warmed the studio audience to him - you could tell that Courtney's audience certainly weren't too impressed (he was being heckled during one of the 'audience laughs')

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

And has his voice got even more annoying, or is it just me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Ok I was going to give it another go and I did.

I don't like Brendan Courtney, I didn't see the monologue this week so cann't comment on that.

As for the Guest

Huey to me seem by his attitude that he was thinking "Is this TV in Ireland?"
    Is he going to have every member of Boyzone on? Next week Ronan. Stephen Gately was hugely annoying with his FAUX posh accent or whatever accent he was trying to put on.
    Ms. Smurfit was fine.

The audience particaipation wasn't as Scandalous (or Magnique or what ever he has a habit of saying) as Graham Norton. Graham Norton's Camp is more natural, IMO. The stings for the add break with him looking into the camera and making some kind of FACE is highly annoying.

So to win a car what will be Padamonium. MMMMMM. Let me think...... Oh wait I have got it.

Lets get people to phone in (Preium Rates, Of Course), and then bring the 3 winners into the show and ask the questions about the MAD audience, well not questions about the mad audience because they would be able to answer them but questions that relate in some way to the MAD story that they are telling.

The contestants will be given a white board to write the answers on and at the end we will revivle who the winner is. NOW THATS WHAT I CALL PANDAMONIUUMMMMMMMM.

Just don't mention that Pat Kenny gives out better cars in a similar suitation.

As for the Irish Saying, (Pulling a Conan O'Brien unimpressed face).
    As for the Chiness book, (Pulling a Conan O'Brien unimpressed face).

Will I watch it next week, yeah sure why not. But I am like that.

At least they are making TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

I had to change channel. There was a sweat dripping off Courtney's upper lip that really disturbed me. Do they not pay a make-up person to prevent this from happening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

BuffyBot wrote:
    And has his voice got even more annoying, or is it just me?

Is that even possible?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Nah, just love terrible TV! LOL, what do u mean? Only things i watch on TV3 are Popcorn, Malcom in the Middle, Its good to be, the Brendan Courtney show... and if i have time nanny 911 (saw it twice seems really good), the news, some of there specials (like chasing the lions, that was brilliant) ... I have cable, its just out of the irish channels, TV3 seems to have the best content!

Ray777 wrote:
    I think the show has potential. Or at least it would, if they had a proper studio-based set and another presenter. I'm sure Brendan Courtney has his talents, but presenting a chat show isn't one of them (nor is looking at the correct camera).
    Ya, i dont think he's ever gotten that right, could be TV3's fault though.. its funny how they always screw that up! I like the studio, i think it adds to the show

All in all, its funny... sometimes for the wrong reasons, but its funny. Thats all i care about!

Popcorn

Go to the Cinema its no before each movie. Or rent a DVD.
    Malcom in the Middle

That and Arrested Development are the only things I watch on TV3 but both are American shows RTE/TG4 could have bought them.
    Its good to be

A EuroMillionaire :D thats the one the did for their Limerick Audience. :rolleyes: Do you have MTV?
    nanny 911
    It's an American Show :rolleyes:
    the news, some of there specials (like chasing the lions, that was brilliant)

Their news is fine I wouldn't go on about it that much its isn't under or over rated. News Specials they had something on about the Donegal Gardas awhile back but I cann't think of an other News Speicals.

Chasing The Lions was a news special? ? ? Was it even produced by TV3?
    Ya, i dont think he's ever gotten that right, could be TV3's fault though.. its funny how they always screw that up! I like the studio, i think it adds to the show

I thought the Dunphy Show work well in the Helix. IMO. Just TV3 didn't give it a chance.

It's not funny and I am easily ****ing ammused :(

TV3 just need to make more Irish TV. You seem to like what little Irish output they have.

Also TV3 isn't a Cable Channel.
    TV3 seems to have the best content!

I cann't think of anything I would watch on TV3. Its just one of the most Disappoint TV stations around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Elmo wrote:
    At least they are making TV.

Yes, they're trying.

They could have used more imagination and done something weird instead though.

A gay Irish TV presenter is not exactly mind blowing.

Elmo wrote:
    Chasing The Lions was a news special? ? ? Was it even produced by TV3?!
    Yeah it was, i didnt mean news specials just specials in general

Elmo wrote:
    I thought the Dunphy Show work well in the Helix. IMO. Just TV3 didn't give it a chance.
    Really, I hated that show so much, it sucked... all it was were GAA stars coming on and then they would talk about farming or whatever until the next farmer came on!!

Also TV3 isn't a Cable Channel[/QUOTE]
    I said i have cable, meaning its not my favourite channel, but it is my favourite irish channel!!!

dublindude wrote:
    Yes, they're trying.
    They could have used more imagination and done something weird instead though.A gay Irish TV presenter is not exactly mind blowing.
    Everytime TV3 bring out a new show everyone says it sucks, and then wants it back ... from The Dunphy Show, The Offside Show and now this is prolly gonna be the same story

http://www.tv3.ie/features.php?action=view&id=4

See TV3 want to have more irish TV!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

Yeah it was, i didnt mean news specials just specials in
    Everytime TV3 bring out a new show everyone says it sucks, and then wants it back ... from The Dunphy Show, The Offside Show and now this is prolly gonna be the same story
    I don't want to see any of those crap shows coming back.

I have to say I thought the dunphy show was good just put on the wrong day. Now we have to put up with Turibirty :rolleyes:
    See TV3 want to have more irish TV!

Really!

TV3 stated that they wanted nothing to do with the BCI's fund from the licence fee as the BCI had decided that it would not be included as part of the 25% Irish programming required. Their position may have changed since then.

TV3 have never re-commission a Prime Time TV series.

The Political Party and Agenda are the only non-news shows that have got a second or third series. And they are news.

TV3 have been on the air for 8 years and every year they have tried a "new format" but that only makes 8 shows. TV3 have an annual revenue advertising of 40million, 20million of which goes to their investors. Nice! Che!Ching!

But after saying that It looks good and I hope they come through with what they want.

Totally off the topic. Sorry. Rant Over.

Advertisement