Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1997 VW Polo gearbox problem;

Options
  • 17-11-2005 12:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭

Has anyone come across a 1997 VW Polo that slips out of third gear when you go around a corner? There are no other noises or anything and it drives perfectly other than that. Any ideas would be great, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Worn gearbox/engine mounts maybe. Is it actually slipping out due to cornering or is it slipping out due to lifting off the throttle to take the corner.

Also I heard of a problem like this before (not in a Polo) that was cured by replacing a worn rubber bush in the gear linkage.

If it's not the linkage or mounts then it may be time to start investigating inside the box :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

I'd look at the possibility that your engine or gearbox mounts are worn, loose or broken and allowing the engine/gearbox to slide on turns, thus tugging on the connectors and pulling it out of gear.

Does it matter which direction you are turning and if accelerating or coasting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I'm thinking it may be internal as when your driving third gear is the only gear that you can pull out of gear, all the others seem to have a gate of some sort holding them in gear. I wonder is there any way of adjusting the linkage to hold it in gear? I'd hate to have to change the gearbox over such a small thing but it's very annoying. Thanks for your help and suggestions I'll try them out and see if they make any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Its probably a worn syncro on third. You could get it repaired. I had a Honda that did this, but I never drove it hard and it never got worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Honda's and VW's with gearbox problems. Who would have thought?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I'm thinking it may be internal as when your driving third gear is the only gear that you can pull out of gear, all the others seem to have a gate of some sort holding them in gear.
    I'm not well up on the internal workings of gearboxes but i did hear before of a car that was slipping out of one gear. The problem turned out to be a bent selector fork inside the box IIRC.

Advertisement