Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

veggies mostly girls??

Options
  • 17-11-2005 12:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭

if i get a reation from people when they find out im a veg, very often its that i am male - some people seem to percieve it as a gay attribute_?

so the poll is just to find out the balance between male and female vegs posting here......

having said that boards is predominantly male so we'll have to take that into the equation.......

Male\female 52 votes

banana and two plums
    0% 0 votes
    two melons
    50% 26 votes
    unsure
    50% 26 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

Well I wouldn't consider living on veggies a particularly 'manly' thing to do. Having said that, I'm fairly sure there must meat-loving gay men out there... somewhere :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Vegetarian guy is me.

Out of all the vegetarians and vegans I know I would say there is slightly more girls.Not a big difference.It's not a homosexual attribute, being homosexual is the only trait. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

sportswear wrote:
    if i get a reation from people when they find out im a veg, very often its that i am male - some people seem to percieve it as a gay attribute_?

It's the whole retarded "You're not a man if you don't hunt down your own food and rip it apart with your bare teeth" attitude.

Although I don't think it's as common as it used to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭sportswear

Vegetarian guy is me.

- eh wha tar....... no offence i was sure you were a girl-:eek:

:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

sportswear wrote:
    - eh wha tar....... no offence i was sure you were a girl-:eek:

:D
    You and several thousand people on here, It's just my avatar fooling you-I'm quite used to it by now.
    It's a draw in the poll!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

My fiancé is a pescatarian, while I happily eat meat.

I'm the woman in the relationship btw.

And Tar, stop pretending you're a man.

It's so I don't get stalked as much.

*flutters eyelashes*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Ag marbh

I have to say the vegetarians I know are quite equal on the gender side of things. Anyone to say someone is gay for being a vegetarian probably thinks vegetarian means wearer of the pink t-shirt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭sportswear

ah here whos ticking the 'unsure box??'

come on now....... at the moment there is as many of them as females!!!!

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Well I wouldn't consider living on veggies a particularly 'manly' thing to do. Having said that, I'm fairly sure there must meat-loving gay men out there... somewhere :D
    Gays can't be vegitarian. Sausage isn't a vegetable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

My girlie is a vegetarian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Anto and Moe

I'm not even sure if know any other vegetarian boys...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 541 ✭✭✭chern0byl

Not just "mostly girls" but mostly dublin girls who have never seen an animal bigger than a dog in their life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭White Rabbit

Sangre wrote:
    Gays can't be vegitarian. Sausage isn't a vegetable.

Look Sangre I know you do law but yummying down on the lecturers sausage after college isn't the only way to pass those exams...

The Vegetarian Society was formed as a result of a meeting held at the hospital, Northwood Villa, on 30 September 1847. A resolution was passed unanimously that a society be formed called The Vegetarian Society. Mr James Simpson became the president, Mr William Horsell the secretary and Mr William Oldham the treasurer. The following year the first annual meeting was held in Manchester at Hayward's Hotel. There were then 478 members of the Society and 232 people attended the dinner which followed the AGM. A meeting of London Vegetarians was held in 1849, and they decided to form a committee to spread vegetarianism in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

I know more female veggies than male ones; mainly because two veggie blokes I know went back to their meat-eating ways!

I don't think vegetarianism a particularly feminine "thing". That said, the only vegan I know is male, and he's a total headwrecker with his one-sided conversations featuring various anti-meat industry statistics, etc. Complete & utter diet bore. Not only that but he'll make a song and dance production about how much healthier he is than anyone else.

Yeah. I try not to see him too often.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

Lads tend to like eating meat (wings, meaty pizza etc) as a treat, whereas girls tend to go for chocolate / ice cream / sweet stuff. Probably makes it tougher for lads to go completely veggie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Out of the 5 vegetarian friends I can think of, 3 are guys and 2 are girls and strictly speaking, one of the girls is actually pescatarian (though she claims to be veggie).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Vegetarian and ALL man.

Sing it brother!!! ;)

Lads tend to like eating meat (wings, meaty pizza etc) as a treat, whereas girls tend to go for chocolate / ice cream / sweet stuff. Probably makes it tougher for lads to go completely veggie.
    Depends on persoanal taste but usally that is true. All I and some of my friends ate was meat and it is damn better than chocolate or anything!
    Ah well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Girls go on diets much more than guys. Vegetarianism is a diet which is perceived to be very healthy(if balanced correctly) plus you get to save cute little animals in the process. Girls must be thinking, "How can I lose?". Whereas guys would be more like, "meh".

You'll notice also that vegetarian guys tend to be hardcore ones with hardcore pro-animal views, but girls are a lot more passive in being vegetarians. Then again it's all generalisation...

• Advertisement

JC 2K3 wrote:
    ...Vegetarianism is a diet....

Down with that sort of thing! :D

Diets are completely useless, however what food you choose to eat is a different thing.

Well I know it's not a diet for me!
    Although on average vegetarians are 9kg lighter...this howeever is a stupid pointless statistic. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

diet
    n.

1. The usual food and drink of a person or animal.
    2. A regulated selection of foods, as for medical reasons or cosmetic weight loss.
    3. Something used, enjoyed, or provided regularly: subsisted on a diet of detective novels during his vacation.

Therefore Vegetariansim IS a diet. Your diet is the food you choose to eat. Yes I know the second definition is what a diet(as in "going on a diet") is normally viewed as, but vegetatrianism is a regulated selection of foods(non meat ones) so it is a diet, whatever was you look at it.

JC 2K3 wrote:
    diet
    n.

2. A regulated selection of foods, as for medical reasons or cosmetic weight loss.
    3. Something used, enjoyed, or provided regularly: subsisted on a diet of detective novels during his vacation.

Therefore Vegetariansim IS a diet. Your diet is the food you choose to eat. Yes I know the second definition is what a diet(as in "going on a diet") is normally viewed as, but vegetatrianism is a regulated selection of foods(non meat ones) so it is a diet, whatever was you look at it.

Yeah sure, just most people reading will interpret it as #2 unfortunately..
    I'm basing this on people reminding me , "oh you can't eat meat.."
    Sorry I can, but I don't want to...! Instant look of puzzlement...

JC 2K3 wrote:
    diet
    n.

It's not a diet for me insofar as a diet is for 'for medical reasons or cosmetic weight loss.' but of course it is a diet in the sense of number one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Floyd Soul

Peanut wrote:
    I'm basing this on people reminding me , "oh you can't eat meat.."
    Sorry I can, but I don't want to...! Instant look of puzzlement...

I totally get that all the time!

"you want some pizza? Oh sorry I forgot you cant' eat that"

It's like I can eat tractor tyres if I wanna, I just chose not too. Choice is what its all about.

I'm a man and vegan.

'you don't eat meat but you like it, wtf, you are crazy...why would anybody do that.'*puzzled look*
    and that's one of the better ones.
    And for people that knew me before I was a vegetarian...some just don't believe/ can't accept it due to how picky I am and it is practically the only food like.
    I remember it well, 'There is no way you could be vegetarian, that's impossible, do you eat anything!'.

my personal favourite, 'it's not healthy!!!, you'll be dead by the time you are twenty.'
    I even got that one yesterday.:rolleyes:
    I call upon people like david stroud,

Some people are still going to want to eat meat.. we do agree though that vegetarianism is a healthier diet.
    --David Stroud of the American Meat Institute :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭direbadger

Most of the veggies and vegans I know are guys. But that's probably because I mostly hang around with boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Oh dear god. You duck out for a minute and look what happens?

Tar- for every health study claiming vegetarianism is a healthier way of life there is a partner contradicting it. "Oh he's from the American Meat institute, he must be a qualified nutritionist! Let's all quote this moron out of context and use it as a terrible crutch in a nonsensical argument!"

The reason 'people who eat meat' have a less healthy diet is that most people who are vegetarian eat more veg and fruit, and less fat. They have a healthier diet over all than people who subsist on fast food and junk.

This does not mean vegetarianism is intrinsically healthier than a meat eating diet. A balanced diet including some meat and fish is optimal.

Now- any more "Vegetarianism is healthier/meat eating is unhealthy" talk will result in bannings.

• Advertisement

:eek: :o Come on, banning this is way over the top.

I don't see why it shouldn't be discussed as it appears to be an open question. I would disagree that vegetarians necessarily have better eating habits than meat eaters, it doesn't follow that just because they don't eat meat that they will replace it with good alternatives.

The last good, believable, story I read about this was a German study involving 2000 people.

It found that for people who ate little or no meant, "..their lives are "significantly longer" than the general population".

However, like you say, it also found that the "optimum" was a small amount of meat consumption -
    "For every 100 deaths among vegans, there were 66 among vegetarians and 60 among occasional meat eaters."
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/2838083.stm

:v: :v:..the sample size in the above could be bigger (a lot bigger I guess), but coupled with numerous other studies, I think it's completely fair to say some form of vegetarianism, or at least a cutting down of meat consumption, is intrinsically healthier than the status-quo. :v:

(apologies for off-topicness!)

Advertisement