Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Gimp

Options
  • 17-11-2005 3:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭

Does any one else find the gimp harder to use than most image editing programs. I'm trying to switch to using mainly open source for teaching and what not. OpenOffice 2.0 is great. I usually take very quickly to programs but find the gimp frustrating. Maybe it is years of using photoshop and fireworks that are counting against me. Are there any GIMP fans out there who reckon its worth the effort V photoshop etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Since switching to Linux as my primary operating system, I've been using The Gimp more and more for my graphics work. I think the most difficult thing to get used to (coming from a photoshop / fireworks background) is the loose and somewhat confusing interface, I for one found this to be very frustrating and it turned me away from The Gimp for ages.

I don't know when, how or why it clicked with me, but at some stage it did and now I actually find myself wishing for a more Gimp like interface in Photoshop. It's very customizable and doesn't get in your way unless you want it to. It does take a bit more time to adjust to it though -- whereas Photoshop is something anyone can open for the first time and produce something, The Gimp's interface alone has a bit of a learning curve; but it does pay of. If this is what's frustrating you, then just try and stop expecting it to work like Photoshop and accept it as something new. Get used to alt+tab'ing between toolsets etc.

In terms of quality of work produced (or producible), I've heard it said that Gimp can do anything Photoshop can do so long as you know how, but that leaves me to wonder just want version of Photoshop they're comparing it to.

For me, the Gimp is great for when I have something relativity simple to do and / or couldn't be bothered booting into windows.. but it'll take me another fair while before I can ditch Photoshop altogether.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Sounds like you'd prefer a different interface on top of the gimp

try GimpShop

http://plasticbugs.com/?page_id=294
    http://www.gimpshop.net/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

gimp aint as good at photoshop, but it costs a heck of alot less

I agree the interface takes some getting use to but isnt too bad once you get use to it

GimpShop, the last time i tried it, was buggy as hell - was alot more photoshoppy though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

The GIMP is an amazing program thats constantly improving. I think down the road it'll directly compete with PS as a viable replacement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭HomunQlus

In the moment, I'd say Gimp can compete with Photoshop if you have the right plugins. But that's the cool thing. Gimp and the plugins are completely free.

• Advertisement

Have you got a good site to get plugins? Never looked into that... and my Gimp really isn't a match for Photoshop as is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭HomunQlus

The GIMP Plugin Registry
    http://registry.gimp.org/index.jsp

They have a lot. You can also look for plugins sorted by category there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

I cut my teeth on Corel and still use it as I paid out wads for the licence.
    But back a while I used the gimp in work (as the boss wouldn't pay for corel) and I got used to it fairly quick.
    One thing I found staggeringly frustrating when I got back to corel, was that I'd gotten used to right-clicking on the image for menus and instant action, but in Corel you have to fly the mouse up to the grey bar, land and navigate and click.
    As sure as night follows day, the gimp is going to get better and better. The coders on these open source projects dream of one thing, excellence. It is their quest. It get's them up in the morning.

You could always check out amazon, there's a bunch of books on the gimp, and trust me, if you are learning by suck it and see you're probably missing the booty, no pun etc, get a book which is recognised for revealing pro techniques, they are so arcane you'd spend a lifetime trying to discover the sequences of filters etc, and like me I'm guessing your graphics time budget is restricted. Spend the 35 sovs on the book and reap. REAP!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

wingnut wrote:
    Does any one else find the gimp harder to use than most image editing programs. I'm trying to switch to using mainly open source for teaching and what not. OpenOffice 2.0 is great. I usually take very quickly to programs but find the gimp frustrating. Maybe it is years of using photoshop and fireworks that are counting against me. Are there any GIMP fans out there who reckon its worth the effort V photoshop etc?

eh no used it for a while now find it takes a little getting used to but not much.

I havnt used photoshop to be honest Gimp did all i needed at the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭naitkris

really like The GIMP - yes it may take some getting used to for those used to other tools but as mentioned there are lots of plugins available.

definitely not very far behind Photoshop, and for the price you can't beat it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Has anyone here downloaded the Gimp recently, I downloaded most of it about 2 weeks ago except for GTK+ Runtime Environment 2.6.8 I couldn't download the bloody thing then and i am trying now again this this evening and no luck, I have 1mbps connection (satellite) so speed isn't a problem anway the thing is only about 3.5mbs i tried firefox and IE and no luck, I have turned off the adblock on FF and the pop-up blocker on IE and still no luck, could the google toolbar blocker be doing something i'm on Xp Sp2. Any ideas.

GTK
    Gimp

Working fine for me. Plenty of mirrors available too, so you really shouldn't be having problems.

I downloaded the GTK runtime enviornemnt and installed it i presume your link "Gimp" is the rest to download? Cause the files i downloaded a while back seem to be a little fooked up!

Thanks for those links goodshape, I got it down eventually, It looks terribly complicated and the way two wondows open is alittle weird still i can be messing about now and will eventually learn more about it i guess. I now have Picasa2, the gimp, paint.net, Adobe Photoshop Album 2.0 Starter Edition, PhotoImpression 4, Ulead Photo Express 2.0 SE, Microsoft Photo Editor. Heck if i can't fix my photo's now forget it!

thank again, you links should be added to the sticky here on the computer forum. As your's works and the other don't. (well for me anyway)

Well, they were just the links from gimp.org, but you're welcome :)

The multi-window layout can seem a bit confusing alright, but I think it works pretty well when you get used to it -- handy for editing large images as you are free to maximize the image to full screen without any toolboxes or dialogs in the way.

Just get used to using alt+tab ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Sounds like you'd prefer a different interface on top of the gimp

try GimpShop
    Well I only used it for about 2 minutes... but it seems they just enclosed the existing Gimp windows in an empty container window. :confused:
    It's not so much a different interface as it is a simple addition to loosely tie the interface elements together.
    The Gimp remains, along with Blender, in the pile of software that I'd like to like but can't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Well I only used it for about 2 minutes... but it seems they just enclosed the existing Gimp windows in an empty container window. :confused:
    It's not so much a different interface as it is a simple addition to loosely tie the interface elements together.
    The Gimp remains, along with Blender, in the pile of software that I'd like to like but can't.
    Poor blender, probably shouting "bit my shiny metal ass!". But that's not as bad as what happens when you bring out the gimp. Best to leave him sleepin if you're not his friend.

Heh.. that wasn't even in it the last time I tried. Main difference (from normal GIMP) is the renaming and re-ordering of the tools and menus to be more inline with Photoshop. It doesn't solve the interface problems/features [delete whichever one you want]... just supposed to make it a little easier to get used to.

And, not that I have to use it profesionally but, I like Blender :( maybe helps that its the first and only 3D modeler I've used.

Advertisement