Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'Trinidad & Tobago' Thread

• 17-11-2005 5:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭

Right lads, I have a bit of an idea. Might take off, might drift off down the pages into oblivion, but I said I'd give it a go anyway.

Anyways...

Seeing as Ireland haven't made it to the World Cup, I thought it would be great if maybe we (or whoever was interested) would get behind Trinidad & Tobago.

They qualified yesterday morning by beating Bahrain 1-0 away (2-1 on aggregate) and are due to fly home to a hero's reception in Trinidad later on today. A national holiday has been declared by the countries president.

They have, needless to say, never been to a WC Finals before, and (with the exception of Dwight Yorke) are not a team full to the brim of household names. Not really even anything close to it. Avery John, one of the members of yesterdays starting line-up played in the Eircom League for a number of years.

The country itself has a population roughly equivalent with that of Dublin, and as far as I can tell it is one of the smallest nations to ever reach the finals of the World Cup.

Anyway, maybe in this thread we could give them a bit off support, keep an eye out for them, post whatever news is going around about them. I'm going to stick a link to the thread in my signature so hopefully people might become a bit more aware of it.

This, pretty much, is what the World Cup is all about. The plans are already in place to make Germany 2006 an occasion everyone will remember as Trinidad and Tobago's. They'll "light up Germany like no other country ever has or ever will by carrying its calypso, culture, flora, fauna, people and music to the European country."*

Come on the "Soca Warriors"!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

fair play to them, they will bring a bit of colour to the WC much like jamica did at a previous WC.

They have some usefull players like the evergreen russel latapy who plays for falkirk in scotland. Formally of rangers and Hibs.

Marvin Andrews of rangers fame, good solid defender.

Stern John of derby county, formally of birmingham, Notts forest and coventry.

Dennis lawrence who plays in the lower regions of the second divison at wrexham.

Even EL's very own avery john who plied his trade for years at bohs then at longford and now plays for New england revolution who narowly lost the north american championship final on sunday to LA Galexy.

Everyone prob knows about dwight yorke, they now have a new pretender in the jones kid from southampton.
    Decent side allround.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭BOHS

Gotta say im totally behind this idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

galwaydude wrote:
    fair play to them, they will bring a bit of colour to the WC much like jamica did at a previous WC.

They have some usefull players like the evergreen russel latapy who plays for falkirk in scotland. Formally of rangers and Hibs.

Marvin Andrews of rangers fame, good solid defender.

Stern John of derby county, formally of birmingham, Notts forest and coventry.

Dennis lawrence who plays in the lower regions of the second divison at wrexham.

Even EL's very own avery john who plied his trade for years at bohs then at longford and now plays for New england revolution who narowly lost the north american championship final on sunday to LA Galexy.

Everyone prob knows about dwight yorke, they now have a new pretender in the jones kid from southampton.
    Decent side allround.
    Some decent players my arse. :) Latapy is a decent player (couldn't get his game at Rangers :) ) by Falkirk standards. he's 37 and player-coach at Falkirk. Marvin Andrews (behind Rodriguez, FanFan and Kyrgiakos at Rangers) is rubbish who doesn't get operations because God will heal him. Stern John is in and out of the Derby team. Lawrence is playing in the 4th tier of English football. Avery John is world class but that's it. :) Chris Birchall isn't a bad player but again, another lower division player in England. They'll get murdered at the WC. I'll still cheer them on but I can't see them getting a point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

The fact that the players aren't anything near World Class is the whole point of supporting them really.

The whole situation just keeps reminding me of Cool Runnings!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

yeah well i'll definitely be shouting for them next summer. Great to see a lot of new nations or nations that haven't been at a WC for a while qualifying for Germany.

Hopefully the ozzies do well there too...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Serbian

MrJoeSoap wrote:

I have a feeling the end of Trinidad & Tobago will be whole lot more painful than the Jamaican bob sleigh team :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

I'll row in behind this - was looking for a team to support! I was thinking of Serbia and Montenegro, but Trinidad and Tobago I'd say will be far more craic to support!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Fúck Serbia. I'll be behind Trinidad (tho maybe not Tobago). I could never forgive them for introducing me to the wonder of (and getting me hooked on) their "Tobago-Chili flavoured peanuts" about 7 years ago and now I can't find them anywhere it seems :(

BTW, any chance of us getting a friendly against them next year? It's been 23 years not but I still want revenge for PortOfSpain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Avery John to lift the world cup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

MrJoeSoap wrote:

Cool runnings here we go!!! i'm right behind them now:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    The fact that the players aren't anything near World Class is the whole point of supporting them really.

I guess we should all be used to that :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Slash/ED wrote:
    Avery John to lift the world cup
    Dear Santa.... :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Yeah ill be right behind as I always support the total underdogs. Lets be honest they have a pretty terrible side as individuals but maybe they work well together as a team and thats how they have qualified. SHould bring a bit of culture to the tournamant.

I will be supporting them and the Aussies this time i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

No, we should support the Ivory Coast, at least we can use our tricolours then!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

Count me in!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Nuttzz wrote:
    No, we should support the Ivory Coast, at least we can use our tricolours then!!

Ah no the idea of cheering for Didier Drogba gives me shivers! Although they did get a good result against Italy yesterday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

I have watched a lot of "The Soca Warriors" here in the US, went to qualifier in August between the US and T&T in August up in Hartford. They had a bunch of fans there and they didnt really care when they lost. Chatted with a few of them after the game, very nice lads.

As for the team, I was pulling for them all through qualifying. About half way through it didnt look good though. But the turning point came when they beat Guatemala 3-2 after being behind twice in the game with 2 goals from Stern John in the last few minutes and then in the last game they had a big upset when they beat Mexico 2-1 again coming back from goal down.

The team does not look good on paper with a lot of their players playing in the lower English divisions and few here in MLS. But Benhaaker looks to have them playing better as a unit. It's very doubtful though that they will make the second round but depending on the group they get, you newer know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I can hear the chants now.... "Let me tell ya something you'll never believe, Trinidad & Tobago have a football team!" Cool Runnings-style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Haha, count me in!

Lemlin wrote:
    I can hear the chants now.... "Let me tell ya something you'll never believe, Trinidad & Tobago have a football team!" Cool Runnings-style.

"Feel the rhythm, feel the rhyme, get on up... its World Cup time!"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

eirebhoy wrote:
    Some decent players my arse. :) Latapy is a decent player (couldn't get his game at Rangers :) ) by Falkirk standards. he's 37 and player-coach at Falkirk. Marvin Andrews (behind Rodriguez, FanFan and Kyrgiakos at Rangers) is rubbish who doesn't get operations because God will heal him. Stern John is in and out of the Derby team. Lawrence is playing in the 4th tier of English football. Avery John is world class but that's it. :) Chris Birchall isn't a bad player but again, another lower division player in England. They'll get murdered at the WC. I'll still cheer them on but I can't see them getting a point.

But their going to a world cup when your beloved 50k a week irish PL superstars arent. makes yah think what **** players can do when they do what the manager says.

kdjac

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

KdjaC wrote:
    But their going to a world cup when your beloved 50k a week irish PL superstars arent. makes yah think what **** players can do when they do what the manager says.

Also the fact that Trinidad and Tobago are by and large playing other rubbish teams tends to help them out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Kingp35 wrote:
    Also the fact that Trinidad and Tobago are by and large playing other rubbish teams tends to help them out

And? They played 22 games or something to get there,regardless of where you are you still have to win matches to qualify.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

agreed, but lower quality teams are eaiser to play against

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

Angola also qualified for Germany, if i'm not mistaken their star player is former Waterford Utd legend Jose Quintongo (anyone know where he is now)

dcarroll wrote:
    Angola also qualified for Germany, if i'm not mistaken their star player is former Waterford Utd legend Jose Quintongo (anyone know where he is now)

He's at Alloa Athletic in Scotland. Something tells me that he is far from a "key" player for Angola though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

Sorry mate. I hope that Trinidad and Tobago does well in Germany but I'm an Aussie now, with a little bit of Cote d'Ivoire on the side. :)

Ooh, and I'm a Dutchy for Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Mate of mine is from Trinidad so im all for them. Dont they were green or is that just my imagination giving me more incentive?

They have had a good few sporting stars over the years: Dwight, Shaka Hislop, brian lara, stephen ames and a world class sprinter whos name escapes me. Not a bad haul for such a small place.

Dustaz wrote:
    Mate of mine is from Trinidad so im all for them. Dont they were green or is that just my imagination giving me more incentive?
    Nope, they wear red with bits of black. Their away strip is white.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

oh well, They cant have everything:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Stern John will get the golden boot :eek: , I'll get behind them .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

My brother spends a good period of each year in Trinidad and Tobago, so I'll be supporting them.

Trinidad and Tobago - The Road To Germany (132mb .wmv file)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Avery Avery Avery. John John John. Legend
    Thinking of heading to Germany to follow them

KdjaC wrote:
    And? They played 22 games or something to get there,regardless of where you are you still have to win matches to qualify.

kdjac

i'd gladly accept ireland having to play the likes of st. vincent etc. and then bahrain over the likes of france anyday

• Advertisement

Yes, but the World Cup is about countries from different parts of the world qualifying. It wouldn't be much fun if it was just all the big countries from Europe and South America.

The smaller countries are what make the World Cup what it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Jamacia, we've got a bobsled team...

Ooops, wrong thread. G'wan the Trinidadians and Tobagonians! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭rovingrover

They are the smallest country ever to qualify for the World Cup. They have taken that record from Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

BOHS wrote:
    Gotta say im totally behind this idea

I agree, Trinidad & Tobago have my support!

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Trinidad and Tobago - The Road To Germany (132mb .wmv file)
    Cheers for the video, I'll settle down to watch that later on tonight. :)

• Advertisement

I hope the soca's win it:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

looks like ye could be getting your first chance to see them in this part of the world

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/gossip_and_transfers/4483706.stm

3rd or 4th message down :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Was away for the week, only got back last night and the first team I was looking for in the Groups was Trinidad + Tobago - can't believe it - they're in the same group as England

Had to bump this thread

G'Wan the Soca's!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Brazil It Is Then! Bring On Trinity And Tobasco!

just imagine it lads.

England 1-1 trinidad going into injury time.................

All of a sudden up pops dwight yorke with a 25 yarder!!
    WE can always HOPE!!!!

mchurl wrote:
    All of a sudden up pops dwight yorke with a 25 yarder!!
    WE can always HOPE!!!!

I've been telling my mates this is going to happen for the past few weeks, only it'll be Avery John, not Dwight Yorke!

Trinidad announce World Cup squad

Trinidad and Tobago, England's second opponents in the World Cup group stages, have announced a provisional 24-man squad for the tournament.

But coach Leo Beenhakker will have to trim the squad by one player.

Former Manchester United star Dwight Yorke, now with Sydney, will captain the Soca Warriors.

British-based players in the squad include Coventry's Stern John, Port Vale's Chris Birchall, West Ham's Shaka Hislop and Falkirik's Russell Latapy.

"Before making the final choice, we did our homework the best we could," said Beenhakker.

"I have to protect the players also who brought us to Germany. They have to be credited and there must be balance in the team.

"I want to thank specially all the players who are not on the list but were on the road to Germany and I understand for the moment I have made 24 players happy.

"I understand much better that I have disappointed now many players from Trinidad and Tobago but I can assure them that the decisions we made were made in relation to looking for the best of the team."

Trinidad and Tobago provisional squad:

Goalkeepers:
    Kelvin Jack (Dundee), Shaka Hislop (West Ham), Clayton Ince (Coventry City)

Defenders: Dennis Lawrence (Wrexham) Cyd Gray (San Juan Jabloteh), Marvin Andrews (Rangers), Brent Sancho (Gillingham), Ian Cox (Gillingham), Atiba Charles (W Connection), Avery John (New England Revolution).

Midfielders: Silvio Spann (unattached), Chris Birchall (Port Vale), Aurtis Whitley (San Juan Jabloteh), Anthony Rougier (United Petrotrin), Anthony Wolfe (San Juan Jabloteh), Densill Theobald (Falkirk), Carlos Edwards (Luton), Dwight Yorke (Sydney FC), Russell Latapy (Falkirk).

Forwards: Stern John (Coventry), Kenwyne Jones (Southampton), Collin Samuel (Dundee United), Jason Scotland (St Johnstone), Cornell Glen (LA Galaxy)

On stand-by: Brent Rahim (Jabloteh), Anton Pierre (Defence Force) Anthony Warner (Fulham), Nigel Henry (Kiruna FF), Ricky Shakes (Swindon), Hector Sam (Port Vale) Scott Sealy (Kansas Wizards).

A fairly scattered group if ever I've seen one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

i didnt know Dwight Yorke was a midfielder now...guess he doesnt have the pace to be a striker anymore :)

Apparently its getting increasingly tough to find their jerseys in the UK because all the Scots are buying them! :D

Fixtures (Group B):

# v Sweden - 10 June, 1700 BST, Dortmund
    Sweden team guide
    # v England - 15 June, 1700 BST, Nuremberg
    England team guide
    # v Paraguay - 20 June, 2000 BST, Kaiserslautern
    Paraguay team guide

How did they get to Germany:
    Beat the likes of St Kitts & Nevis to get into a group of six with the USA, Mexico, Costa Rica, Guatemala and Panama. Came fourth, then beat Bahrain 2-1 over a two-legged play-off.

Qualifying star:
    The Wrexham defender Dennis Lawrence became a legend the moment his powerful header hit the Bahrain net in Manama to book Trinidad a finals place.

Manager:
    Dutch coach Leo Beenhakker took over after a poor start to the group and organised and moulded an inexperienced squad into World Cup finalists.

Captain:
    Dwight Yorke. The country's greatest ever footballer came out of international retirement in 2005 to inspire his team from a central-midfield role.

World Cup pedigree:
    Non-existent. First time qualifiers.

Present star man:
    Can only be Yorke. The 33-year-old ended his career in England with a whimper but he has genuine top-level experience and when his heart is in it is still a class performer.

Strengths:
    The tactically astute Beenhakker gets the best out of a limited group of players and Yorke and Stern John both know where the back of the net is.

Weaknesses:
    Most of the players play at a low standard for their clubs and the leap to performing on the biggest stage of all could prove difficult to bridge.

Did you know:
    Trinidad is the smallest country at the 2006 World Cup finals, with a population of just 1.3 million.

World ranking:

Odds:
    1000/1

Local view:
    "Trinidad & Tobago will light up Germany like no country ever has or ever will. We shall make Fifa and this nation proud." Jack Warner, Trinidad & Tobago Football Federation special adviser.

Our verdict:
    A fine achievement just to be there. If the Soca Warriors could emulate Jamaica's 1998 effort and win one of their games the country would go into meltdown.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2006/teams/trinidad_and_tobago/4445470.stm

• Advertisement
Advertisement