Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Debating?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Outcast

Terrorism I think. Our school lost the email they sent though so I don't know what it's about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

*MmmPie* wrote:
    JEDI = Junior English Debating Ireland
    What exactly is the EYP, how did you get involved in it?

Hey all,

I've been involved in running eyp for the past few years. If you're a TY or 5th year student you should definitely get involved!

EYP is not really a debating competition. It's better than one! It's about discussing your ideas, problem solving and learning to work as part of team that might not necessarily agree with you all the time.

An EYP conference takes place over a weekend and the Sunday is the debating bit - you discuss your ideas in a general assembly. You can say as much or as little as you want though, nobody will be forced to speak! But lots of people who aren't too happy standing up in front of a crowd have found that it's a great way to ease yourself into public speaking and build your confidence. If you're already a keen debator you'll certainly enjoy it too.

We have 4 conferences every year, regionals in Dublin, Galway and Cork and then a final somewhere as yet not announced. If you make it through the regional stage you can come back to participate in the finals. A group of students will be selected to represent Ireland at one of 2 international conferences next year. One is in Kiev, the other hasn't been announced yet.

The Dublin conference is this weekend so it's obviously too late for that. But even if you're in a Leinster school you might be able to participate in Cork or Galway.

Email us at info (at) eypireland (dot) com or take a look at http://www.eypireland.com for more info.

It's a great opportunity, one of the best things I've been part of. Go for it!

Any other questions feel free to pm me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

That sounds good, can you just go along on the day or does your school have to register you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

You have to do get a teacher in your school to be a point of contact to organise the whole thing. But send as an email and we'll tell you what you need to do. All you have to do is fill out a form on the website really. You should do this as soon as you can if you want to try to get Galway or Cork in time though. Try and get a few mates from your school to do it to but if it's just you that's not a problem at all. Go for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Flashling

Wow, just came back from EYP (explaining the moodyness of my last two posts, just eyp leaving sadness! Plus they were both kind of deserved.....) It was so much fun, I hope I get through to the nationals so I can do it again soon! Duffman, were you an alumni at the dublin conference?

Duffman wrote:
    You have to do get a teacher in your school to be a point of contact to organise the whole thing. But send as an email and we'll tell you what you need to do. All you have to do is fill out a form on the website really. You should do this as soon as you can if you want to try to get Galway or Cork in time though. Try and get a few mates from your school to do it to but if it's just you that's not a problem at all. Go for it!
    Thanks, but my school is in Dublin and I don't think the school would organise it for Cork/Galway at such short notice. I'll keep an eye out for it next year though.

Flashling wrote:
    Wow, just came back from EYP It was so much fun, I hope I get through to the nationals so I can do it again soon!

It was brilliant wasn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Flashling

T'was indeed! I would recommend it to anyone at all...You don't even have to talk in front of everyone if you don't want to!

my best debate was when i had to debate against the release of the rossport five in nuig.i say i lost quite a load of mayo friends.

• Advertisement

Do you really want friends from Mayo anyway?

Outcast wrote:
    Do you really want friends from Mayo anyway?
    LMAO, funniest thing I've read in a while. Funnier than anything on the Humour forum.

Really?

Outcast wrote:
    Really?
    Yes.
    Thank you Outcast. For 5 minutes of constant laughter.

kinda diffucult when you live with two mayo lads and one of them is related to two of the rossport five.

Diarmsquid wrote:
    Yes.
    Thank you Outcast. For 5 minutes of constant laughter.

You're welcome

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

Ahh debating! its so much fun! I did it in both English and Irish!

Anyone gotten second round motions for Denny yet?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

i'm in 3rd year, did denny juniours but got knocked out in 2nd round. anyone any tips for getting rid of nerves?

Advertisement