Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet debuts 24MB broadband (For €240 a month!!)

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 abra123cadabra

When I subscribed to magnet I was told I could keep my number. In the end I couldn't because of "technical reasons" (called eircom, I would suspect). magnet offered me a compensation for that: either 2 months free subscription to sky movies and sky sports or 2 additional months free of charge for my triple pack.

I'm originally from Germany and tried to change my telephone provider when they were allowed to enter the landline market. It took the new provider 6 months to actually connect me because the Deutsche Telekom was so reluctant to deal with the requests.

By the way Smart also offered to keep the number but when I finally received their letter confirming that they have access to the exchange now, I had to confirm on the form that I accepted the fact that they would give me a new number. Anyway it was too late. My trial period for BB with eircom had run out and I had to subscribe to the business starter pack in order to get acceptable up and down speed with a contract period of 6 months. All other providers where not able to connect me in a reasonable time.

I'm quite satisfied with magnet. The speed is ok. The cap bothers me a bit although they are just observing the usage at the moment. According to the customer service the 100 GB allowance includes up- and downloads so it's not as good as it appears on the webpage. TV needs a lot of improvement (delays, partly pixelated, no teletext). Phone is ok, sometimes you got some kind of echo).

Sorry for the long post. I just had to put this somewhere :-)

abra

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

Sponge Bob wrote:
    one of their techs got very sniffy about the discussions on boards and wrote a big long blog somewhere attacking the questions on boards . It had some useful stuff but he bristled when he tried to explain that there was no contention and then instead of addressing it as Garfield from Smart did very well 6 months ago he started to bang on about international pipes and having ships on standby at all times and yadda yadda. .

Although in fairness, I don't think he expected people on boards to actually find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭V1llianous

Lucan Ballydowd isn't fully unbundled yet. It was due to be done second week of December but there was a problem with the fibre.

I have been assured that the unbundling will be completed the first week of January so we will see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

seamus wrote:
    At this point in time, even big corporate customers don't need a 24MB pipe to the net, so they won't justify spending that kind of money. And Magnet won't lower the price until more people take it up. Catch-22 really.
    €240 a month is cheap in commercial land of broadband as far as businesses are concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

€240 a month is cheap in commercial land of broadband as far as businesses are concerned.

But there is no SLA with it. Large business get leased lines because they need an SLA.

• Advertisement

Oh there isnt well even so i see 24Mb for 240€ as a bargain in any light.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

a company could get smart too , 4down 512 up and make that your sla for 120 a month or so on top of the 240 .

TimTim wrote:
    Although in fairness, I don't think he expected people on boards to actually find it.

I keep thinking they are a shipping company ever since :D , it stuck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

Sponge Bob wrote:
    a company could get smart too , 4down 512 up and make that your sla for 120 a month or so on top of the 240 ..

Do they make JCBs that only take out one copper pair into a building? ;)

the JCB digging thru cable factor means that an SLA is unenforceable anyway , Worldcom leased line customer had a total outage a month ago because the Worldcom switch was flooded by the Grand Canal next door.

The punters never got a single penny even though the friday was a washout for their business so what was that SLA worth ????.

If you want continuity, and as Smart and Magnet (and the rest of the LLU operators ) unbundle the same cluster of large exchanges anyway , get a service off both and you should be pretty outage proof for alot less than a leased line .

my 2c

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

Sponge Bob wrote:
    the JCB digging thru cable factor means that an SLA is unenforceable anyway , Worldcom leased line customer had a total outage a month ago because the Worldcom switch was flooded by the Grand Canal next door.

The punters never got a single penny even though the friday was a washout for their business so what was that SLA worth ????.

If you want continuity, and as Smart and Magnet (and the rest of the LLU operators ) unbundle the same cluster of large exchanges anyway , get a service off both and you should be pretty outage proof for alot less than a leased line .

my 2c

Hadnt heard about the MCI outage - you have all the news. anything else you want to share with the group??

You are still left with a single cable of copper lines at your home site which is where I would say the JCB will be digging. As there is no SLA on copper it might get repaired next week or next month or some time in the future.

SeaSide wrote:
    You are still left with a single cable of copper lines at your home site which is where I would say the JCB will be digging.
    Correct all the way. So why pay a premium for the SLA on a leased line is what I say and get 2 DSL connections from 2 different LLU carriers (not eircom bitstream carriers) to deal with other outages.
    As there is no SLA on copper it might get repaired next week or next month or some time in the future.
    There is on copper but not on Fat Slobby Paddy Mc Builders JCB ! . Remember when a JCB took out the entire ESAT resilient hosting facility a few years back :D , one fibre FFS

in work we use IBB as the fallback ie leased line and IBB in case "copper" is fukd

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

in work we use IBB as the fallback ie leased line and IBB in case "copper" is fukd
    Hopefully you've a reliable leased line!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Correct all the way. So why pay a premium for the SLA on a leased line is what I say and get 2 DSL connections from 2 different LLU carriers (not eircom bitstream carriers) to deal with other outages.

Will the two pairs not be coming from the same exchange? I would think a jcb would take out both connections? I stand to be corrected. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭V1llianous

When I subscribed to magnet I was told I could keep my number. In the end I couldn't because of "technical reasons" (called eircom, I would suspect). magnet offered me a compensation for that: either 2 months free subscription to sky movies and sky sports or 2 additional months free of charge for my triple pack.

I'm originally from Germany and tried to change my telephone provider when they were allowed to enter the landline market. It took the new provider 6 months to actually connect me because the Deutsche Telekom was so reluctant to deal with the requests.

By the way Smart also offered to keep the number but when I finally received their letter confirming that they have access to the exchange now, I had to confirm on the form that I accepted the fact that they would give me a new number. Anyway it was too late. My trial period for BB with eircom had run out and I had to subscribe to the business starter pack in order to get acceptable up and down speed with a contract period of 6 months. All other providers where not able to connect me in a reasonable time.

I'm quite satisfied with magnet. The speed is ok. The cap bothers me a bit although they are just observing the usage at the moment. According to the customer service the 100 GB allowance includes up- and downloads so it's not as good as it appears on the webpage. TV needs a lot of improvement (delays, partly pixelated, no teletext). Phone is ok, sometimes you got some kind of echo).

Sorry for the long post. I just had to put this somewhere :-)

abra

I have signed up for Magnet Value package and my line is currently being unbundled. Looking forward to the service.

Re the 100 Gb allowance, I have in front of me the letter from the sales manager from the information / sign up pack. It clearly states that the 100Gb allowance is a download allowance see -> Linky

If they try and charge me for going over the cap at any stage I will bring this to their attention and get refunded.

V1llianous wrote:
    Re the 100 Gb allowance
    HOW do you propose to use up 100Gb each and every month ???

Sponge Bob wrote:
    HOW do you propose to use up 100Gb each and every month ???
    Its easier than you think. And im on a 2Mb connection.

Advertisement