Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

[article] Govt planning to outlaw 'boy-racer' car modifications

Options
  • 17-11-2005 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭

Govt planning to outlaw ‘boy-racer’ car modifications
    17/11/2005 - 07:40:09

The Government is reportedly planning to outlaw car modifications that are much-loved by so-called "boy racers".

Reports this morning said Junior Minister for Transport Ivor Callely was planning to ban modifications like tinted windows and put a cap on engine noise as part of a reform of the National Car Test.

Under his plans, cars will fail the test from next January if they are found to contain unauthorised modifications or if their engine noise exceeds the legal limit.

Meanwhile, Minister for Transport Martin Cullen has announced plans to extend the penalty points system early next year to include a range of new motoring offences.

The new offences include dangerous overtaking, failing to obey traffic lights and crossing continuous white median lines in the centres of roads.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2005/11/17/story230602.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Bluetonic wrote:
    The new offences include dangerous overtaking, failing to obey traffic lights and crossing continuous white median lines in the centres of roads.

oh that'll get a lot of taxi men in Dublin a few bonus points, their always ALWAYS doing it outside the LUAS station on Amiens St. Regarding the outlawing of modifications, I doubt it very much. Sure most government cars have tinted windows, can you see them been stripped because of this junior minister on a power trip?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Berkel

Hmmmm.... next thing it will be motorbikes...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Berkel wrote:
    Hmmmm.... next thing it will be motorbikes...
    And the wearing of hoodies and baseball caps. Oh, wait a minute...

Did we suddenly become clones of Austria or something? Oh well, I'll have to go and buy a Daewoo now I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Heard this today myslef, most new cars these days come with tinted windows... Only a very light tint but its there all the same, sure my neighbours are in there mid 60's n the tint the windows on all their cars?? Is that a crime??

As for the noise, i could see that coming into place... Although i'd say most cars would pass unless the sound level is stupidly low...

Doesn't bother me cause my cars 30 yrs old n doesn't need an NCT... HA HA HA!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Nanny state.

Tbh manic motorz or some sites like that have meets and try to involve the Gardai and TD's in everything do to make it as legal as possible. These guys do not act the mick at all. So the gov are tarring everyone with the same brush.

There's quite a large industry around tinting and mods thats going to kill a good few businesses.

All this shows me is FF trying desperately to win votes back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

I was just watching this on TV3 news there myself. Ivor Callelly, the same TD who was targeting Grafitti a few years ago in his local area. Unsurprisingly, he failed.

My brother has a 1989 Merc 190D - tinted window came as standard. Hardly a boy racer. Also, perhaps if I showed the the NCT the hair on my chest I could prove I wasn't a 'boy' racer I'd get my cert?

It's bullsh1t like this that has seen me recently change over to a Transit as my everyday vehicle because at least the DOE is about safety.

I wonder how this affects Jeeps as the majority of them have a tinted back window if I'm not mistaken?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

we have a rear tinted window, in the landcruiser.

Yeah, any jeeps I've driven have been the same. The majority of them come from the manufacturer like that but others get it done especially if they are gonna be carrying tools etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭BANZAI_RUNNER

i think he is referring to the guys who go out and buy the adhesive tinted film and put that on the glass, i'm sure if the car had tinted glass as standard it would be ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭vannistelrooy10

Bluetonic wrote:

ya right he can **** himself, what about the sexy noise of a v12 ferrari is he going to ban those??? how about classic vw beetles a bit noisey yes????well what ya know he has one!!!!!!!!
    and when he has a election to win the fookin brass band he has is noise pollution. he has to realise people modify cars as a hobby not just to piss people off. **** it just take the illegal mods off at nct time. not much of a change to be honest. if anything ban ****ing jeeps oh but he lives in the 'ghetto'(clontarf)(sarcasm) which is jeep central. rant over

facist wanker

• Advertisement

i think he is referring to the guys who go out and buy the adhesive tinted film and put that on the glass, i'm sure if the car had tinted glass as standard it would be ok

If so, then it is one law for one person and one for another. If the NCT claims to be about safety, then all cars should have to pass the exact same test to get the exact same cert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭vannistelrooy10

If so, then it is one law for one person and one for another. If the NCT claims to be about safety, then all cars should have to pass the exact same test to get the exact same cert.

youre right. eddie guerrero was a god viva la raza

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭kyote00

I heard numerous items on the radio today about this but no-one has really explained 'exactly' what the new rules are and more importantly how they will be
    implemented. Road safety was repeatly mentioned......Noise pollution was also mentioned....so how is this measured ? dB level ? then we will have to ban all trucks, buses, no shouting either.......

However assuming, your modified car passes current nct (emissions especially) and any performance related mods are notifed to your insurance company - i fail to see how this is really useful in any way to road safety.

Given the fluffly answers by Ivor Callilee on radio today --- I suspect that he is just getting some free publicity --or-- drawing attention away from more serious road safety issues such as speeding/drink driving/red light breakers....which they have singularly failed to improve.....

Yeah, I guess its just a way for Ivor to get his name and picture into the paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

one word YAY!!!

bout time too

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Hm, I guess my neighbours Porsche is gonna get scrapped eh... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

kyote00 wrote:
    - i fail to see how this is really useful in any way to road safety.

It won't, to put it plainly it's a bunch of old farts who never did this when they were young so no one can regardless of the amount of people who object.

Our main road killer is dangerous driving. Removing mods will not change this imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 thefastlane.sc

Hi,

I have started a petition for people against the changes to the NCT.
    If you would like to sign it please visit www.thefastlane.sc
    Or www.thefastlane.sc/petition.asp

Thanks,
    Alan alan@thefastlane.sc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Hi,

If you would like to sign it please visit ]

Did your "modified motors association of ireland" not already try and hand the said petition into the dail today only to be left standing outside look fools?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

Looks like Callally is going to get the sack. What are the chances of these NCT changes not going ahead

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Indeed. Isn't this guy in a bit of trouble for getting a free extension built onto his house by someone???

Good for him.

Obviously the poor politicians are finding it hard to meet the cost of living these days.

No new government Lexus for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Yep he resigned this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Ha Ha Ivor Callally irritated one person too many and had to fall on his own sword. I'm sure some well-meaning twonk will fill his shoes and we will continue to face narrow-minded interfering and a national car test that still doesn't work.

I was stopped at a check point last night, all my blue leds and neons were on, my NCT is out since Oct03 and the cop had to shout over the noise of my exhaust but the car is taxed so he waved me on. Woohoo.

'c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Hi,

If you would like to sign it please visit www.thefastlane.sc
    Or www.thefastlane.sc/petition.asp

Thanks,
    Alan alan@thefastlane.sc

How on earth can you start a petition against changes that are not even published?!? How stupid is this??? Do you think anybody will take you seriously?

Perhaps before doing something as ridiculous as this you might wait till the policy is published and then lobby for whatever changes or amendments are appropriate.

There is no way tinting is going to be banned. Any reasonable person will agree with this. What you will find is that they will do what happens in the UK - there will be a maximum tint level allowed etc.

Talk about shoot first ask questions later ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Dragan wrote:
    Indeed. Isn't this guy in a bit of trouble for getting a free extension built onto his house by someone???

Good for him.

Obviously the poor politicians are finding it hard to meet the cost of living these days.

No new government Lexus for him.

It was the house painting it seems not an extension. £1500 paint job in the early 1990's undertaking by a major construction company. He forgot to pay the bill apparently as you do.

Do they dish out the Lexus's nowadays as well as the car with star?

Advertisement