Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does eBay care about fraud ? Anywhere I can take this ?

• 17-11-2005 10:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭

In summary: I've received a fake 'second chance offer' on an eBay auction I bid on.

I've strung the scammer along and have received a request to send Western Union payment; have a name & address (probably fake) and they're based in the UK.

I have good reason to believe that I know who is behind the scam. So there is every chance that this scammer could be caught pretty easily.

Sent the usual email headers to eBay who of course haven't gotten back to me. (now there is a surprise).

Anywhere else I could take this ? eBay don't care and I simply can't find anywhere else to take this. Which is a pity because there might be a result here.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

if you know the english county they are in then contact the local constabulary .

EG Mancherster = Lancashire Constabulary
    http://www.lancashire.police.uk/

etc. Some are very on the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

Ebay dont seem to gave a damn about anything aslong as their making money. Any emails you send them probably go straight into their junk mail!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,251 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Sponge Bob wrote:
    EG Mancherster = Lancashire Constabulary
    http://www.lancashire.police.uk/

Greater Manchester Police :D

Ebay do not really care about fraud. If they did, they would introduce seller verification that is a bit stronger than the credit card scenerio and a valid email address. They may also want to look at buyer verification. They would allow greater investigation of feedback.

They do not do it because it would affect their bottom line to introduce stronger measures to combat fraud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

Thanks for the suggestions. eBay don't care - I flagged this to them on Monday and they still haven't gotten back to me. The Gardai don't care as no crime has been committed (yet). You'd imagine with all the makeitsecure adverts that they want to at least be seen to do something about it when a vigilant member of the public hands them one of these scammers on a plate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

No crime has been committed (as yet). Technically there is a conspiracy to commit a crime but it would difficult to prove and expensive to follow up. They key to stopping scams is consumer education and in this case it appears to have worked as you have identified correctly that foul play is in progress.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Ebay do not give a fiddler's f*ck about fraud.

I have had occasion to report a fraudulent seller to them and all I got were automated, standard responses which completely failed to address the issue.

Anybody else I know in the same position has had the same lack of success with them.

Advertisement