Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet Networks tp launch 24MB service on Friday

• 17-11-2005 10:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 paulyx

What is the requirements to receive these products ?

The reason I ask when I applied thru the whitehall exchange I was told 6 months to be able to get the full package is this not false advertisment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

smiaras wrote:

And the upload speeds are...?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

smiaras wrote:
    Not true, the current (as of today) fastest offer is www.cablesurf.com in Dungarvan, Co. Waterford - 9MB cable for €40 per month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

crawler wrote:
    And the upload speeds are...?

Anything up to 1.5Mb as per the ADSL2+ spec.

Most people wont get the full 24Mb anyway, its a case of 'buy this package and get as much as your line is able to get'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Are magnet wireless or adsl? Can you port over your number with them?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Magnet do both but he talks about exchanges in the initial post so that'd be some form of DSL - ADSL2+ as Snaga stated I guess?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

And FTTH will be introduced when...?

4meg synchronous would be preferable to 24meg/1.5meg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

smiaras wrote:

Sheeesh!! That's a bit stiff (even for 2 Megs).:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

SyxPak wrote:

They do FTTH in new estates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

SyxPak wrote:

Ohh, I don't know about that now. I think most people would go for 24x1.5 rather than 4x4.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Snaga wrote:
    Most people wont get the full 24Mb anyway, its a case of 'buy this package and get as much as your line is able to get'.

If you are living IN the exchange the max speed is 24Mb Down and 1Mb up.

The full speed of ADSL2+ as deployed by Magnet and Smart already would require you live within 2km of the exchange I would wager maybe a bit more. After that you are paying for a 24Mbit package when you can only get 10Mbit speed and should be on that package. I am not sure if the speed drop is equal on the up and down legs .

The same rapid drop as you move away from the exchange applies to all ADSL2+ operators . I assume that at c 2.5km its c.8 down and c.333k up or 33% of what you get at the door of the exchange in both directions.

Linkees.

Max Speeds and Comparison between ADSL (Eircom + BT) and ADSL2+ (Magnet and Smart) is Here

Downlink Speeds DECAY Rate in FEET up to 12,000 feet , 12k Feet is 2.4 miles or 4Km )
    ADSL2.PNG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Sponge Bob wrote:
    If you are living IN the exchange the max speed is 24Mb Down and 1Mb up.

The full speed of ADSL2+ as deployed by Magnet and Smart already would require you live within 2km of the exchange I would wager maybe a bit more. After that you are paying for a 24Mbit package when you can only get 10Mbit speed and should be on that package. I am not sure if the speed drop is equal on the up and down legs .

The same rapid drop as you move away from the exchange applies to all ADSL2+ operators . I assume that at c 2.5km its c.8 down and c.333k up or 33% of what you get at the door of the exchange in both directions.

Linkees.

Max Speeds and Comparison between ADSL (Eircom + BT) and ADSL2+ (Magnet and Smart) is Here

Downlink Speeds DECAY Rate in FEET up to 12,000 feet , 12k Feet is 2.4 miles or 4Km )
    ADSL2.PNG

"IN" the exchange...funny - what a wonderful life that would be :) eircom would charge you for the footprint area you stand in and air conditioning for the air you breath!!! Oh, and you could only get in there by crawling through the fibre into the place....then if you got sick, you would be charged for the Doctor to come out but if the wrong type of Doctor came out you would have to wait two weeks for the correct Doctor...you get the idea :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Irelands back on par with the rest of Europe now hopefully

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

I currently an on the trial with magnet on their 4 meg product. It excellent. The download from ftp.heanet.ie comes in mainly at 450KB/s but about a week ago it started to burst at 12Megs and came down after about a minute and a half to 4 meg. Download openoffice (80Meg) in a few minutes. The upload wavers between half and one and a half meg. Dones not bether me that much as i don't use it much. I live down beside heuston and am connected to crown alley, think thats about 3 kilomoters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Jakkass wrote:
    Irelands back on par with the rest of Europe now hopefully
    The rest of Europe is significantly cheaper though. Still I must confess I am happy to see these figures enter the Irish market finally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

now just tackle the coverage issue, by the time that's done sweden/japan will have like 3 gbit lines or something

Cremo wrote:
    now just tackle the coverage issue
    As irish lines are marginally longer than UK ones we should be looking at 512k at 10km out in order to increase coverage, and use ADSL2-RE not ADSL2+ in rural exchanges . Only half the population lives within 4km of an exchange in Ireland .

UK population dispersal by loop length.

wukbbm1605102001.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I think he means the coverage issue as in more than a handful of exchanges. If that Magnet service were available to me, I would signup tomorrow.

Blaster99 wrote:
    I think he means the coverage issue as in more than a handful of exchanges.

They will do all the big cities and towns like BT and Smart are doing (and Imagine said they would :rolleyes: , the same 100 exchanges they will all ultimately do in the next 3-5 years or so .

I am talking about the other 1200 exchanges in the country where the LLU operators show no interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

Praetorian wrote:
    Ohh, I don't know about that now. I think most people would go for 24x1.5 rather than 4x4.

I'd take 4x4, provided the cap was the same,
    250 is nice, but I could really use more, If i wanted to host from home, share files etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭gsand

Thats v.pricey given ukonline in the uk have just started offering 24meg to residential users (contended aleit but still I wouldnt say speeds would be any worse than what is on offer here) for 29.99 sterling...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

It's not just pricey, it's daylight robbery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

The rest of Europe is significantly cheaper though. Still I must confess I am happy to see these figures enter the Irish market finally.
    This is true as could be seen when IOFFL conducted our broadband survey.

Threw up the likes of the following...

http://telia.se/privat/frame.do?mainFrame=/privat.do

Divide the kronor amount by 10 roughly to get euro prices, so.....
    Upp till 24 Mbit/s 449 kr ---> 45euro
    Upp till 8 Mbit/s 439 kr ---> 44euro

The 24mbit is essentially a virtually free upgrade in enabled exchanges.

Also bear in mind that Telia are more expensive than their competitors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Yeah but Ireland has the highest LLU prices around and that should be taken into account in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Praetorian wrote:
    It's not just pricey, it's daylight robbery.
    do you see anyone else offering it? The prices are down to the market availiability and I think magnets pricing is a lot more competitive than any other Irish provider at the minute and the fact that they are now Irelands fastest broadband provider is going to get them going and after that perhaps it will be cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

damien.m wrote:
    Yeah but Ireland has the highest LLU prices around and that should be taken into account in fairness.
    This is true Damien.

Jakkass wrote:
    do you see anyone else offering it? The prices are down to the market availiability and I think magnets pricing is a lot more competitive than any other Irish provider at the minute and the fact that they are now Irelands fastest broadband provider is going to get them going and after that perhaps it will be cheaper.

I agree, if the other operators respond it will be great. I just hope they don't respond with equally high prices. I would be happy if NTL upped the 3meg to 8meg for the same price. I would find that far better than 24 (theoretical) Mbps for €240.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Maskhadov

24MB service - €240.00 incl VAT (250 GB download cap)
    €240.00 ??? thats a f'ing RIP OFF IRELAND. You can get the same download speeds in london for £20 quid a month.

• Advertisement

Maskhadov wrote:
    €240.00 ??? thats a f'ing RIP OFF IRELAND. You can get the same download speeds in london for £20 quid a month.

While I agree that it is a bit much. London has a population of 9m (?) and intense competition from cable. BT also seem to promote LLU and reduce charges etc. With any luck this offering is the beginning for us.

Advertisement