Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet Networks tp launch 24MB service on Friday

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

if it was used over a network of about 7 or 8 PC's it could be very useful but if its a small network you are talking about then theres no use for it really

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

This is great news for internet users in Ireland. But I can't help thinking that the caps are a little stingy at those speeds and those prices. Theorectically, you could exhaust your entire cap with the 24mb package over the course of 24 hours at max speed.

Here is another way of looking at it . The CAPS imply that there is contention somewhere . Otherwise why sell a product where you could use up all your allowance in a day . The CAP is there to protect the network from Hogs . Having said that the cost of busting your CAP with Magnet is €0.60 per Gbyte as compared to €36 per Gb with UTV ....for example (incl vat) .

The cheap 24Mbit packages around Europe and the UK are contended but the operators admit they are contended so the comparison is not strictly correct. If you are contended 24:1 the bandwith is shared among 24 people, uncontended implies you have your 'own' 24mbits

If the wholesale cost of an uncontended Mbit is around €50 a month , allowing for €50 for the gear the €250 price 'implies' that 4 x 50 = 4Mbits of 'pure' bandwidth per 24Mbit tail , an implicit contention of 6:1 at that speed or at the more feasible 16Mbits that most people will get it implies a contention of 4:1 .

they have to have no contention because theres TV and phone coming down the wire on most of their products.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Jakkass wrote:
    theres TV and phone coming down the wire on most of their products.
    ;) Contention occurs on the aggregation or backbone or peer and not on the tail . OK. ;) .

they have already stated that there is no contention.

http://www.enn.ie/frontpage/news-9649923.html

read that enough proof!!!
    ENN.ie wrote:
    ENN: What's so different about your service?
    Ardagh: Basically you're looking at the fastest and the best broadband service out there at the moment. And contention is not an issue with our ADSL service; we're putting television over the pipe so you can't have the signal coming and going, it has to be consistent. So that's a plus. Also it's 30 percent cheaper than anything else out there at the moment. If you compare it to having unlimited talk time from Eircom, broadband and cable television, you're looking at saving EUR500 a year. And you've only one bill, one person to call if there's a problem, and only one device.

gah why do ppl have to bitch about something good happening!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

The contention that ISP's are talking about when they advertise contention or lack thereof is network access contention only.

i.e. With some ISP's 24 accounts will get assigned into a single circuit backhauling from the exchange into the ISP's main network. This is 24:1 network access contention and is essentially how eircom do it (and all resold ISP's).

If an ISP lets core network contention and/or transit contention become a problem then they are in serious trouble, therefore it _should_ never have an effect on the end user in a well run ISP (As these forms of contention will affect all IP customers of the ISP, businesses and residential alike).

So if you give all customers equal access to the network and treat that link as if it is a part of your core network and increase its bandwidth as required - contention will not occur for the end user.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

Snaga wrote:
    The contention that ISP's are talking about when they advertise contention or lack thereof is network access contention only.

i.e. With some ISP's 24 accounts will get assigned into a single circuit backhauling from the exchange into the ISP's main network. This is 24:1 network access contention and is essentially how eircom do it (and all resold ISP's).

If an ISP lets core network contention and/or transit contention become a problem then they are in serious trouble, therefore it _should_ never have an effect on the end user in a well run ISP (As these forms of contention will affect all IP customers of the ISP, businesses and residential alike).

I would call the first example you give "contention" and the second one "congestion"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

SeaSide wrote:
    I would call the first example you give "contention" and the second one "congestion"

Yes, but why is it congested? Because essentially there is not enough bandwidth available for the sources of traffic using it...

The reason why I cant get decent throughput on my 24:1 DSL connection after 8pm is because my access circuit is congested - but its only congested because it is contended.

I agree there is a subtle difference here but Im trying to use it as a simple explanation, nothing more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Jakkass wrote:
    gah why do ppl have to bitch about something good happening!!!!

It's called discussing the pros and cons. It's a good product no doubt, but it's far from perfect. Out of interest, which package would you go for if you had the chance?

the 4Mbit triple play one

• Advertisement
Advertisement