Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Real butter.

• 17-11-2005 10:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭

The ads for real butter annoy me but I agree that there is no substitue for the real thing.

I remember the first time I ate anything other than real butter on my sarnie and I thought it was the most rancid thing I had ever tasted.
    Being a culchie kid in the late 70,s / early 80's - when even Dairygold hadnt hit town yet - I had never even heard of putting anything other than the real thing on my bread. I was sent off on holidays to my Aunts in England one fine Summer and for my tea on the first evening I was given ham sarnies with Blueband marg spread all over them. Cue 8 year old me refusing to eat and my Aunt refusing to let me up from the table until I had. WAR!!

My poor uncle had a job trying to get a truce drawn up!

So - spreadable has never been my friend - what are yer preferences?

Butter bloater or lowlow loser? 31 votes

Real butter for me - none of that muck!
    0% 0 votes
    Low low is the way to go!
    87% 27 votes
    meh - who cares? What am I even doing in this forum?
    12% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I prefer real butter too. The spreads and margarines don't really do it for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Both have their applications.

Scrambled eggs and mushrooms must be cooked in real butter. However a good spread is just as good on toast as butter and much healthier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

Well the choice is, one has a lot more energy in it than most people actually need, but the other has a load of synthetic crap and hydrogenated this that and the other in it.. so real butter for me. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Real butter. I know there are healthier alternatives but nothing tastes as good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

The only 'healthy alternative' to butter is olive oil.

Hydrodgenated/Saturated fat means fat that is solid at room temperature. It means the fat molecule has an extra stabilising hydrogen atom. Oils do not have this atom, and are therefore liquid at room temperature, and unsaturated. HOWEVER, to make margarine, the producer saturates the oil with hydrogen to solidify it, MAKING IT SATURATED! Do *not* believe this "Margarine = Unsaturated" nonsense. It is as bad as butter, only with more horrible chemicals and a revolting taste.

Butter for the win!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭Dellgirl

Horray for butter.

*hugs passing cow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭catspring

i feel very strongly about this one: it HAS to be real butter for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Has to be real butter. I cook and bake with it the whole time. Nothing else compares, and anyone who says otherwise doesn't have a tastebud in their mouth :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Connaught Gold low fat butter because it simply tastes so much better than the rest and even 'real' butter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Olive oil is actually really nice drizzled on toast! Mmmm!

But yeah, real butter ftw. No dodgy "replacements" for me!

Oh, and can anyone explain that flatmates butter ad for me? I don't quite get it. o_O

• Advertisement

simu wrote:
    Olive oil is actually really nice drizzled on toast! Mmmm!

But yeah, real butter ftw. No dodgy "replacements" for me!

Oh, and can anyone explain that flatmates butter ad for me? I don't quite get it. o_O
    <3 olive oil on toast!

My typical breakfast at weekends: Granary bread toasted, rub with garlic clove, drizzle with olive oil, add lashings of good ripe tomatoes, a little maldon and plenty of fresh pepper.

Oh yeah, the ad is "funneh" because her flatmates are gay. Apparently the Dairy Council think this hilarious and risqué ad will tap into the youth of Irelands secret craving for butter. Maybe they're implying it can be used as lubricant, although I wouldn't reccomend this as it denudes latex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭sanncoo

Real Butter for me! Love it!

Nothing nicer than waking on a Sunday morning, making toast and lashing on the butter. It has to be dripping off the hot toast!

I know, I know but arteries smarteries!

Butter! Hip, Hip, Hooray!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,441 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Shabadu wrote:
    <3 olive oil on toast!

My typical breakfast at weekends: Granary bread toasted, rub with garlic clove, drizzle with olive oil, add lashings of good ripe tomatoes, a little maldon and plenty of fresh pepper.

That sounds yummy and something i'm going to try this weekend.

Not sure what's "maldon" ..is it a fancy salt like http://www.maldonsalt.co.uk/ ?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Maldon = a brand of sea salt
    Oh yeah, the ad is "funneh" because her flatmates are gay. Apparently the Dairy Council think this hilarious and risqué ad will tap into the youth of Irelands secret craving for butter. Maybe they're implying it can be used as lubricant, although I wouldn't reccomend this as it denudes latex

*sings* And they called it butter lovvvvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeeeee...

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yeah, real butter all the way!

Though, I do use spreadable's occasionally on sambo's if the real butter is too hard.

On toast, real butter is nicer than any of the tubbed varieties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Shabadu wrote:

Oh yeah, the ad is "funneh" because her flatmates are gay. Apparently the Dairy Council think this hilarious and risqué ad will tap into the youth of Irelands secret craving for butter. Maybe they're implying it can be used as lubricant, although I wouldn't reccomend this as it denudes latex.

:confused: I would not have thought of that. Butter as lube? Yuck!

I thought she was smiling because they were cute and she might get to have a threesome or something but that didn't seem to make that much sense. God - how sad that ad seems now, though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Well, the ad makes marginally more sense to me now :confused:

I read that as "Well, the ad makes margarine more sense to me now" ^_^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭dalk

simu wrote:
    I would not have thought of that. Butter as lube? Yuck!

Its a reference to a scene in Last Tango In Paris... which would make an interesting ad for butter. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I HATE those ads

"so I scored Kelly Brook, shes back in my room, lubeing up my prick when I notice what she is puting on it, dairygold, so I fecked her out onto the street, she picking up her teeth with a broken arm."

The watered down butter is the worst, the stuff with gelatine water and a hint of butter or marg. People put it on toast too! it just dissolves into water and goo. Cheaper and nicer to put a lick of real butter on the toast and run it under the tap for a minute.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 foodietwoshoes

The other day a friend made sandwiches using one of those dreadful spreads - it only confirmed my belief that I'm not missing out on anything by not buying them. There's nothing like butter/ghee...mmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭crazy_dude6662

Tazz T wrote:
    Both have their applications.

Scrambled eggs and mushrooms must be cooked in real butter. However a good spread is just as good on toast as butter and much healthier.

actually real butter is better for you, there arnt as much additives also margerine IS THE WORST THING IN THE WORLD TO EAT!!!!! its processed SO much its GREY when it finished, thats why its yellower on the top, the dye rises, real butter all the way

Advertisement