Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Checking the oil

Options
  • 17-11-2005 11:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭

This may be a stupid question, may be not. Anyhow, when is it best to check the oil in your car - when the engine is cold or when the engine is hot after being driven for a while? I've had both schools of thought recommended and try to check my oil every few weeks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭css

It's useless checking oil just after the engine has been driven. As the oil will be up around all the components. If you must check it after driving, leave the car to sit on a level surface for 30-60 minutes and then check it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 opto

Check the owner manual if you have one, when to check can be different from car to car.
    i.e. as far as I can remeber a Ford mondeo 1.6 petrol I had was to be checked 10-15 mins after engine is turned off, which is different from my current car which has to be done stone cold.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Didn't old 011s need the engine running to check the oil?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I would suggest having had the car at operating temperature, let it sit for 15 minutes and then check !

Advertisement