Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

removing woodchip wallpaper

• 17-11-2005 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭

Any idea's apprecieted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Builderwoman!

Really thin (watery) wallpaper paste brushed over the paper to wet it and then paint scraper to ease it off.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

As above but lash the stuff on and let it soak for at least an hour. The stuff will fall off. I am doing this at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

Loads of elbow grease and copious amounts of bad language directed towards whoever put it up in the first place.:D

If you can scrape off the woodchips first so that the water/thin paste will penetrate, it will help.

Depending on what is under the paper, you could score the paper with a knife first also to allow penetration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

First off get yourself one of either of these tools.

http://www.goodelltools.com/index.php/cPath/69_79

Then use either of the above tools flat to graze over the woodchip,sort of like scoring it.If you do it right you sort of take the little chips of wood out as you go over the paper but not actually taking the rest off.

Then once whole wall is done,use some warm/hot soapy water using a 4inch brush and use blade to again this time going the bit further into paper and it should start to fly off.

Its the way I have been doing it for years now and its the only fast way Ive come across doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

Just spent the last month de-woodchipping. I bought one of the wallpaper perferators, but found it too slow to use. Ended up just using the wallpaper stripper to slightly damage the wallpaper first, then using the steamer to steam off the first layer. Then doing a second pass with the steamer to remove the underlayer. Took time, but got a few heads to help. Tried the chemical stripper, which is supposed to loosen up the paste. Had a race, with my stripping partner on a section of wall. He with the steamer, me with the chemical. He won hands down. Bought a second steamer! Not much fun, but you'll get there in the end and you're walls will look... twice as bad :-) Good luck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement