Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aldi PC - Next Thursday

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

is there a limit on lasers ?
    also limit on student account ATMS ? [aib]

closest aldi to me is in finglas, so gonna go up for 8 [shops open at 9 ? right]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭MickH503

Anyone know if this PC has any empty PCI slots and how many empty drive bays to add HDD capacity?

Thanks ...

Placebo:
    Found this on http://www.laser.ie/retailer/faq_r.html#8

Q. Is there a maximum transaction amount for Laser transactions?
    A. Yes, under the Laser Scheme rules there is a ceiling limit per transaction of €1,500.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭tadgh

Media Center 2005 is XP Pro with Media Center applications running on top of it.You can use it as normal XP Pro (though I think it does not have the ability to support multiple concurrent logins, not sure on this though) and then launch MCE whenever you want.

You generally have a medica center pc in the living room and use it as a PVR for TV, and a server for all your music and photos. It kicks a whole lotta ass.

You'd think this PC is an ideal candidate for media center as it should be quiet and has loads tv tuners and should be quiet cos of the heatpipe, though obviously its not a htpc case which people often use to make it fit in in the living room. MCE 2005 is 130 european monetary units from komplett.ie but its oem so you need to buy hardware with it (the MCE remote counts and is 30 quid and essential).

The future trend will see people using PCs (and this one is perfect) as a media center server in the PC room, and then stream its media to other points in the house via the Xbox 360, which can act like an extender over wireless or wired networks. I've never been a fan of any technology as much as I am of Media Center - I love it and that aint no joke.:D

Thanks for that info.
    So would it be possible to upgrade the OS to Media centre Edition?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Sorry guys, but what the hell is a 6700XL, never heard of that card in my life.

How does it relate to say....a Dell x800se, a 9800pro, or a x800 pro?

Very curious as to what it is and how it preforms

We all know the familar ploy of trying to rip unknowledgable people off with fancy names....

Friend of mine once had integrated graphics, went by the name of something similar to extreme pro graphics, but it was 4mb....at a time when 32 and 64mb cards were becoming pretty common :D

6700XL seemes to be a tweaked/overclocked version of 6600 GT or 6600, thats what i found out, google on this german site. Il like it later IF i get my pc as APPARENTLY alot of games crash due to the old drivers but some guy has modified new ones on the forum which make everything A OK.

also thanks for the laser info above,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

MickH503 wrote:
    Anyone know if this PC has any empty PCI slots and how many empty drive bays to add HDD capacity?

Thanks ...
    1 free pci slot and 1 pci express. and 2 free hard drive bays, but i read in the review i posted earlier that you should leave one free because of heat, which can cause early hard drive failure.

carrotcake wrote:
    1 free pci slot and 1 pci express. and 2 free hard drive bays, but i read in the review i posted earlier that you should leave one free because of heat, which can cause early hard drive failure.

Thanks Carrotcake ... might have to go have a look in the morning!! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

shaneos wrote:
    I bought one of the aldi computers that aldi had last time (on St. Patrick's day). I think that it was a good bargain and a great multi-media computer - I use it as a video recorder, music centre, dvd player etc. A good software package came with it last time too.

I queued up from 8.30 in Parnell street - and was fourth in line. Last time most of those queuing wanted the accessories (scanner, screen etc) and not the computer, and all those there at 9 got what they wanted.

If you are researching the computer on the web beware of those giving poor review. A lot of non-technical people think that the computer is a load of crap because they can't figure which way is up on a plug or how to update a driver. There is a good uk forum supporting medion computers for those of us less-technologically challenged.

Details on the last computer below for comparison (not this week's one!):

The new ALDI-PC MEDION Titanium MD8386 with Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 640 and HT Technology

€ 1099.99

High performance 3.2GHz-2MB L2 Cache-800 MHz FSB
    64 bit Technology
    XL-HARD DISC CAPACITY
    Enormous 320 GB
    Hard disc capacity
    XL-MEMORY
    XL-HIGH-END GRAPHICS
    ATI RADEON X740 XL
    XL-BURNER
    XL-PACKAGE
    DVB-T Digital TV TUNER
    Analogue stereo TV & FM Radio Tuner Card
    Bluetooth
    WLAN 54 MBit/s
    9 in 1 Memory Card Reader
    6x USB 2.0 2x front, 4x rear
    2x FireWire IEEE 1394, 1x front, 1x rear
    8-channel Intel® High Definition Audio
    LAN Network Controller
    56K V.9x PCI Data/Fax modem
    SOFTWARE XL
    Microsoft Works Suite 2005

Can you point us to this forum for future reference.

Thanks

Mike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭shaneos

The forum supporting the Medion computers sold in Aldi is:

http://adslweb.co.uk/

Lots of stuff regarding hardware issues esp. tv card (not the world best) and noise issues, and about better software to use than the stuff supplied

Possibly the most weirdest experience ever, queued for an hour with the strangest people EVER. Anyway i got it, yay [but i have no mointor - not so yay - all DONATIONS welcome]

thanks Stephen for posting, Kdjac and anyone else that answered my silly questions.

w0rd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

Placebo wrote:
    Possibly the most weirdest experience ever, queued for an hour with the strangest people EVER. Anyway i got it, yay [but i have no mointor - not so yay - all DONATIONS welcome]

thanks Stephen for posting, Kdjac and anyone else that answered my silly questions.

w0rd

there was a queue? meself and bago just walked straight into the clane store and got our hard drives

haha good old bago and his CAR.
    yeah they were going crazy for hard drives. scavangers

Placebo wrote:
    haha good old bago and his CAR.
    yeah they were going crazy for hard drives. scavangers

yeah?? would have loved to afford 2 but will have to do with 912 GB of storage :(:D

good few people picked up that LCD too, i need a CRT, pcworld is the only place that have 1 and its 17'' for 100 euros. hmmm

• Advertisement

would ya try the buy and sell?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

what was so strange about these people, surely a story there ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

parasite wrote:
    what was so strange about these people, surely a story there ...

<< careful! they could have been fellow boardsters. plenty of weirdos lurk on the internet. apparently >>

On it, now, fairly nice pc, heavy ! Keyboards dodge. Wireless works great.
    No strange stories just a really ODD combination of people from really old to people in their mids, i was probably just expecting poor nerdy cs students like me :)

the stupid hard drive is partitioned into 3, 1st one is windows, other just have drivers and back up, i could just combine 2 drives and tranfer everything [backup etc ] to the 1st one] Magic partition ?

Placebo wrote:
    the stupid hard drive is partitioned into 3, 1st one is windows, other just have drivers and back up, i could just combine 2 drives and tranfer everything [backup etc ] to the 1st one] Magic partition ?

Placebo, I got one this morning too. It's a bit daft to me having 3 partitions. Is there any way to get rid of those partitions without having to delete too much stuff?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,273 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Hiren's BootCD 7.5 is what ye need.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=313347

IF your games are crashing- which they probably are OR should
    read :
    http://216.239.37.104/translate_c?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&langpair=de%7Cen&u=http://www.grafikkarten.org/showthread-t_16262.html&prev=/language_tools

and downloaded "latest" driver.
    6700XL is apparently overclocked 6600GT so i doubt the offical drivers will work ! :)

Placebo wrote:
    IF your games are crashing- which they probably are OR should
    read :
    http://216.239.37.104/translate_c?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&langpair=de%7Cen&u=http://www.grafikkarten.org/showthread-t_16262.html&prev=/language_tools

and downloaded "latest" driver.
    6700XL is apparently overclocked 6600GT so i doubt the offical drivers will work ! :)

I'm afraid my German isn't up to reading that link! ;)
    But found the following updates on www.medion.co.uk - all released within last 10 days.

BTW, Quake4 has been running with no problems.

Also, the mouse is a piece of crap ... I've already switched back to my old Logitech .....
    Downloads 

Busmaster Driver Intel
    Win 2000/Win 2003/Win XP/Win XP Media Center
    14.11.2005      -     Version: 7.2.1.1006

Card Reader Software MS 4074
    Win 2000/Win 98SE/Win ME/Win XP
    15.11.2005      -     Version: 5.12.20.0129

Modem Driver Creatix CTX 944 Fax Modem
    Win XP
    15.11.2005      -     Version: 2.1.56

Power Cinema 4.7 Update (PC MD 8800 Titanium)
    Win XP
    23.11.2005      -     Version: 4.7.1115

Realtek RTL8139/810x/8169/8110 NDIS Driver
    Win 2000/Win 98/Win 98SE/Win ME/Win XP
    14.11.2005      -     Version: 5.621.0304.2005

Soundcard Driver Realtek High Definition Audio Codec (Driver only)
    Win 2000/Win XP
    24.11.2005      -     Version: R1.24 (WDM 5.10.0.5152) 

TV Tuner Hybrid Driver Software Philips 7131E-Chipset
    Win XP
    15.11.2005      -     Version: 1.3.3.0f

VFD Display Driver MD 8800 Titanium
    Win XP
    21.11.2005      -     Version: 1.0.0.1417

Videocard Driver nVidia GeForce 6 & 7 Series
    Win 2000/Win XP/Win XP Media Center
    24.11.2005      -     Version: 81.85 

Wireless Keyboard Chicony WUR0420TR
    Win 2000/Win XP
    15.11.2005      -     Version: 1.0

WLAN Driver Ralink RT2500 USB Wireless LAN Card
    Win XP
    14.11.2005      -     Version: 2.0.3.0

exactly the one i got, must update the rest,
    downloaded quake 4 demo. High detail at 1024 x 768 , very good fps rate.
    took a screen shot

Havent had a chance to play with the computer, but also got the external drive which is playing up, led goes off and stops working. I hope it isnt a sign or anything, I'll try for a new unit today (if available) else refund.

Mike

ps: The drive has gone home, unfortunately they didnt have any replacements

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Removing those partitions makes the go back to when the pc worked option not work anymore.

Live with it, its still X amount of GB.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 polk

Hi,

I'm wondering would some of you be able to help me out. I don't really know a lot about the ins and outs of PCs and I was hoping somebody could answer a few questions about this one. Here goes:
    1. Can you hook up a tv and a monitor to the PC? If you can would you be able to watch a dvd or record/playback a tv programme on the tv and surf the internet using the monitor at the same time?
    2. I'm a little bit confused about the digital tv tuners. Would you be able to record one digital channel and watch another at the same time? Is this similar to Sky+? I was looking at the Medion website and it talked about 2x DVB-S tuners but under Fast Start Buttons it says:
    "Watch films, photos, videos and listen to music immediately without needing to start the Windows operating system. (DVB-S and Dual-TV are not supported)"

Does this mean that DVB-S is not supported or does it mean to use it you have to start Windows? Also, what's Dual-TV?

How do you connect the digital satellite to the PC? Does the cable from the dish go directly into the back of the PC or does it need to go from the digibox to the PC?

3. I've never dealt with Aldi and I'm wondering what their return policy is? How are they to deal with in general and if you do have to return something do they just take it back or will you have a battle on your hands?

I hope that made sense. Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

nice questions
    would love to know all this too
    has me bamboozled all this pc tv tuner business!

1. Can you hook up a tv and a monitor to the PC? If you can would you be able to watch a dvd or record/playback a tv programme on the tv and surf the internet using the monitor at the same time?

Yes you should have a SCART input on the back of the PC or an S Video in. Use the software for the TV TUner to tune in stations (ie SKy is 68 and others like NTL fall in 1 to 24) The record using the software provided.

2. I'm a little bit confused about the digital tv tuners. Would you be able to record one digital channel and watch another at the same time? Is this similar to Sky+? I was looking at the Medion website and it talked about 2x DVB-S tuners but under Fast Start Buttons it says:
    "Watch films, photos, videos and listen to music immediately without needing to start the Windows operating system. (DVB-S and Dual-TV are not supported)"

If there are 2 DVB tuners you would need 2 Lines going in to use both (im guessing here as i have never seen a LNB line split , maybe post on Hosted ICDG Satellite for a defintive answer ^ up there in the drop down forums)

Does this mean that DVB-S is not supported or does it mean to use it you have to start Windows? Also, what's Dual-TV?

Dual tv is 2 programs ie it can show all tuners in seperate windows meaning you can watch the TV tuner, and DVBs at the same time once a signal is ebing received into them all. From the above it looks like the Pc will show tv outside of Windows XP refer to the instructions book to firgure that one out :D )

How do you connect the digital satellite to the PC? Does the cable from the dish go directly into the back of the PC or does it need to go from the digibox to the PC?
    Directly if its a DVB tuner it will allow freeview channels to be seen. To record Sky plug the Sky box into the SCART and NTL into the Sky box (less wires) Sky will appear as will all the other channels.

3. I've never dealt with Aldi and I'm wondering what their return policy is? How are they to deal with in general and if you do have to return something do they just take it back or will you have a battle on your hands?

That depends whats wrong with it really, if its ie not working they have on occasion refunded people but will possibly refer you to Medion who will send an Engineer to your house or maybe take away the PC. Pretty much the same as anyone so hope nothing breaks.

kdjac

Directly if its a DVB tuner it will allow freeview channels to be seen. To record Sky plug the Sky box into the SCART and NTL into the Sky box (less wires) Sky will appear as will all the other channels.

:eek: :confused: other channels ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 polk

Kdjac,

Thanks for answering those questions. It's cleared up a lot of things.

Placebo wrote:
    :eek: :confused: other channels ?

The Sky box will pass the NTL signal on to the PC so your software Tevion Multimedia (came with my tv tuner and its crap google for a better one called gregs somfin)
    So the other channels i refered to were whatever NTL stations you have.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭mad m

At least three still left up in Aldi in Belgard if anyone is interested...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭tadgh

KdjaC wrote:
    The Sky box will pass the NTL signal on to the PC so your software Tevion Multimedia (came with my tv tuner and its crap google for a better one called gregs somfin)

kdjac

Post a link to this alternative TV tuner software

MickH503 wrote:
    I'm afraid my German isn't up to reading that link! ;)
    But found the following updates on www.medion.co.uk - all released within last 10 days.

BTW, Quake4 has been running with no problems.

Also, the mouse is a piece of crap ... I've already switched back to my old Logitech .....
    Downloads 

Busmaster Driver Intel
    Win 2000/Win 2003/Win XP/Win XP Media Center
    14.11.2005      -     Version: 7.2.1.1006

Card Reader Software MS 4074
    Win 2000/Win 98SE/Win ME/Win XP
    15.11.2005      -     Version: 5.12.20.0129

Modem Driver Creatix CTX 944 Fax Modem
    Win XP
    15.11.2005      -     Version: 2.1.56

Power Cinema 4.7 Update (PC MD 8800 Titanium)
    Win XP
    23.11.2005      -     Version: 4.7.1115

Realtek RTL8139/810x/8169/8110 NDIS Driver
    Win 2000/Win 98/Win 98SE/Win ME/Win XP
    14.11.2005      -     Version: 5.621.0304.2005

Soundcard Driver Realtek High Definition Audio Codec (Driver only)
    Win 2000/Win XP
    24.11.2005      -     Version: R1.24 (WDM 5.10.0.5152) 

TV Tuner Hybrid Driver Software Philips 7131E-Chipset
    Win XP
    15.11.2005      -     Version: 1.3.3.0f

VFD Display Driver MD 8800 Titanium
    Win XP
    21.11.2005      -     Version: 1.0.0.1417

Videocard Driver nVidia GeForce 6 & 7 Series
    Win 2000/Win XP/Win XP Media Center
    24.11.2005      -     Version: 81.85 

Wireless Keyboard Chicony WUR0420TR
    Win 2000/Win XP
    15.11.2005      -     Version: 1.0

WLAN Driver Ralink RT2500 USB Wireless LAN Card
    Win XP
    14.11.2005      -     Version: 2.0.3.0

how can i get those? when i search for md8800 i only get 2.
    do i enter serial?

Placebo wrote:
    how can i get those? when i search for md8800 i only get 2.
    do i enter serial?

Yeah, I had to put in the serial number to get to them....

MickH503 wrote:
    Yeah, I had to put in the serial number to get to them....

I tried my serial number on their site with no luck. Its down the bottom right on the back of the case, correct? I used all the alphanumeric numbers I could see. Still no luck.

Mike

Doesnt work for me either, any chance you can direct link us ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

the serial number is most confusing, you probably missed out the very first digit, its much smaller than the following numbers and typically a 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

Anyone with this PC know how to get the free skype minutes?

Cheers

slave1 wrote:
    the serial number is most confusing, you probably missed out the very first digit, its much smaller than the following numbers and typically a 1

That's correct ... mine is 14 digits starting 144xxxxxxxxxxx

APM wrote:
    Anyone with this PC know how to get the free skype minutes?

Cheers

There should be a small business card sized card in the box with the manual, etc with a voucher number you enter at https://secure.skype.com/store/voucher/

3 Pcs in Aldi fonthill last night.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭lensman

anyone see PC's in finglas or city center ?
    are these the same PC's that are being sold in santry on the 8th Dec ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

6 available in Parnell St Aldi on Monday. They will order them for you anmyway if they don't have in stock. But best order soon as it IS the Silly season..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭lensman

quintron wrote:
    6 available in Parnell St Aldi on Monday. They will order them for you anmyway if they don't have in stock. But best order soon as it IS the Silly season..
    were the €1099 ? the new santry shop is selling them for €999
    *Update*
    got one today for 999.99euro :) at the new store in santry ,....yeeeehaaaa

hmmm this has line in right ? is it possible to play my ps2 or something ?
    id reckon there would be some sort of delay in the signal ? [suX]

Placebo wrote:
    hmmm this has line in right ? is it possible to play my ps2 or something ?
    id reckon there would be some sort of delay in the signal ? [suX]

Kinda along the same lines, anyone know how I could watch DVDs on the PC monitor if I connect my DVD player to the Composite Video In on the front panel? Is there some special software I need?:confused:

If connecting anything into this use the software that comes with the Tv cards and select the Input you have inputted the signal too.

The last one had a scart and anything going into that scart showed in the tv card software.

I have my PS2 on a CRT sometimes and its very nice res evil 4 looks minty.
    Just change you monitors res to suit the PAl format rather than stretching the window to fit the screen.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭lkman

KdjaC wrote:

kdjac

What's this other software for? tuner?
    Do you have a link?

• Advertisement
Advertisement