Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aldi PC - Next Thursday

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Ugh i really dont like this pc i wonder what would be the chance of getting a full refund for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

bizmark wrote:
    Ugh i really dont like this pc i wonder what would be the chance of getting a full refund for it

what dont u like about it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Bizmark isnt all there.

Prolly too much stuff on it :)

http://www.chris-tv.com/

other PVR software.

kdjac

well i should have cable connected to it but i dont but aparent from that i watch all movies and tv series through power cinema on my 21'' crt
    i have my ps2 / xbox connected to the pc.
    I also have a crossover connecting the xbox so i can use the pc's wireless to play live.

good for its price [for me]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Placebo wrote:
    w through power cinema on my 21'' crt
    i have my ps2 / xbox connected to the pc.
    I also have a crossover connecting the xbox so i can use the pc's wireless to play live.

Clever man using tech the way its meant to be used :)

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭MickH503

KdjaC wrote:
    Clever man using tech the way its meant to be used :)

kdjac

Anyone figure out how to use the inputs on the front panel to display video from an external source - like to watch DVDs from an external DVD player?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 747 ✭✭✭EyesOnly

if any still wants 1 of these i seen 1 in the Athlone Aldi(near golden isle shopping center) plus a 17" TFT Left

only seen the 2 items left in the isle dunno if they have any more than that

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭pmk19

is this the same one that is on sale on March 30th, does anyone know if it now comes with a monitor.

For people who bought this, how would you rate it? I'm really considering getting this. Thanks

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

is this the same one that is on sale on March 30th
    Yes, identical and same price
    does anyone know if it now comes with a monitor
    No, base unit only, although they have a monitor on sale also, I have their 19" and it's excellent
    For people who bought this, how would you rate it? I'm really considering getting this. Thanks
    Well, in a nutshell, from my experience
    I use it a lot, every evening and most of the weekend.
    It is quite quiet.
    Everything is preinstalled so you just need to turn it on.
    It looks good and I have my sky box hooked up and it gets all the FTA channels in perfect quality, I use it the odd time to record the likes of BBC programs and the recording quality is excellent.
    I do not have ariel so cannot comment on how that works
    If you get to buy the external dard drive then do, so handy, just leave it in the the top bay and slide back when you need it, no cables or mess.
    As regards gaming, it runs everything I've thrown at it, FarCry on full tilt, battlefront 1/2, call of duty 2 etc, no problems
    The dvd drive (Sony) has burnt all my "back-ups", no coasters
    Personally, I like RAM so I put in another gig to fill all 4 slots
    The readout is handy as it shows the name of the song/avi file etc in a scrolling marque fashion
    The wireless pickup is really strong
    I have it hooked up to my 44" RPG TV and watch the likes of Lost etc in perfect quality, the SCART out is very nice feature
    Aldi are very good on returns and it has a 3 year warranty,
    The helpline is slow to answer
    The medion website is updated on a regular basis with new drivers
    There is a really good "unofficial" forum, don't worry too much about the horror stories there as its only when you have a problem that you make a post - in general
    http://medion.adslweb.co.uk/phpbb2/viewforum.php?f=36
    you need to register

I cannot get the front AV inputs to take sound and know of noone who can

All in all, I'm very happy, if for some strange reason the dvd drive stopped working in the morning I'm confident I can return to Aldi for a full refund - within a year of course - and this is a big plus.

Overall I would recommend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭lensman

they are a quality bit of kit,..first class, I got mine around last Christmas for E999.00euro, aldi had just opened a new store in Santry and it was an opening sale price.:D :D:D I might buy the 250gb external HD this time they fit nicely in the cradle on top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

i got one last time around, and i'm very happy with it too. haven't had any problems. got the external hard drive and 5.1 speakers, and it's the same story

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭pmk19

thanks slave and the other.will definitely give this a look

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 513 ✭✭✭MickH503

pmk19 wrote:
    is this the same one that is on sale on March 30th, does anyone know if it now comes with a monitor.

I got one last November also and was happy with it. One little thing that annoyed me at first was that the hard drive is spilt up into 3 partitions, but it's not a problem!
    A few weeks ago the graphics card died. The Irish support phone number on the manual does not appear to work, but I phoned the UK number and was talking to an engineer within 5 minutes and he agreed card was bad and about 2 weeks later an engineer called to my house and swapped out card.
    I haven't tried the TV tuners yet, but all in all I am happy with it. A good price for what you're getting. You should definitely try to get the external HDD too as it is very useful!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

carrotcake wrote:
    . got the external hard drive and 5.1 speakers, and it's the same story

have you had any problems with the speakers at all I think im gonna pick up a set of these for myself do i need a certain soundcard on it? how does it connect to the PC??

my first set were dead, so got a replacement. the box had been damaged, but i didn't see it in the shop. what i have now are fine, except a while back the centre speaker was picking up the wind outside. it was very quiet tho, and disappeared after a few days.

as for connections, it connects to the pc via 4 sound ports. i presume a 5.1 soundcard will do the trick. with the previous aldi set of 5.1 speakers, a friend of mine got them working through the one speaker port on his laptop by using some double adaptors. it wasn't true 5.1 sound, but it worked :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Quote of the week????
    a while back the centre speaker was picking up the wind outside

Ah go on no one could beat thet :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

carrotcake wrote:
    my first set were dead, so got a replacement. the box had been damaged, but i didn't see it in the shop. what i have now are fine, except a while back the centre speaker was picking up the wind outside. it was very quiet tho, and disappeared after a few days.

as for connections, it connects to the pc via 4 sound ports. i presume a 5.1 soundcard will do the trick. with the previous aldi set of 5.1 speakers, a friend of mine got them working through the one speaker port on his laptop by using some double adaptors. it wasn't true 5.1 sound, but it worked :)

hmm so im guessing wont work the best with my inspiron 6000 laptop. What kind of adapter did your friend use?

just normal adaptors that split the sound port into two. he plugged two adaptors into one, and then plugged that into the laptop. it meant he had a big chunk sticking out the front of the laptop followed by a load of cables

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Do these sell out quick?

• Advertisement

they didn't last time

BaZmO* wrote:
    Do these sell out quick?

i had to queue for mine and there was a big line and ppl were going crazy inside, but that was for the harddrives.
    They sellout only if its a busy branch, branches like maynooth etc would be safe i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 299 ✭✭jrd

all gone within 20 minutes in Dublin ... Santry cleaned out and all other stores calling them. they offered a much lower spec to me at 549 which I declined. well done to whoever got them;

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

No one told me Aldi don't take VISA cards. Queued for 2 hours to find out that like nuggent of information. (2nd in queue aswell) :(

Ah well, ya live and learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭thenobody

Placebo wrote:
    i had to queue for mine and there was a big line and ppl were going crazy inside, but that was for the harddrives.
    They sellout only if its a busy branch, branches like maynooth etc would be safe i think

Maynooth had only 3 pcs and gone an hour before they open by the first three people in the queue.
    Had other great pcs for €550.
    There was a big queue there at opening.
    I hate when you queue for ages the go look for something and they have behind the register and most in the queue are now ahead of you. There is some panic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

WTF is the obsession with these Aldi PCs. They are only allright. You'd build a better PC for same price from Komplett, or a much better PC for a little bit more. From what I have seen of the Medion stuff in the past I wouldn't be overly impressed with the build quality.

• Advertisement

have you got an example spec? i had a skim through komplett before getting mine last year, but couldn't find a better solution.

i do lots of encoding, so it had to be a pentium. i found that when you added in things like wireless keyboard & mouse it got more expensive. also i couldn't find the more unique things like a tv card with 6 tuners, scart out, built-in card reader, front and back 6 pin firewire ports, remote control etc etc.

perhaps a standard pc with the same processor/memory/graphics etc is cheaper, but adding in all the extras is a different story, i found. all it lacks is bluetooth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭BNC

wingnut wrote:
    WTF is the obsession with these Aldi PCs. They are only allright. You'd build a better PC for same price from Komplett, or a much better PC for a little bit more. From what I have seen of the Medion stuff in the past I wouldn't be overly impressed with the build quality.

Did you bother to look at the spec and what is included?

Most similar product on Komplett is €2000

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

also the 1 year statutory guarantee, and the 3 year warranty
    I brought an Aldi PC back after 9 months for a full refund, try this with an online retailer

Advertisement