Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Post Match Turkey vs Switzerland

• 17-11-2005 12:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭

Just wondering did anybody see the scenes at the end of this match yesterday. If Turkey get away with this behaviour then there is something seriously wrong with the game.

If anybody could post a link to the game and the melee afterwards, fairplay.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

havent heard too miuch about this

Can you telll me what happened roddy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Looks like Alfie was up to his old tricks

However, the match ended with tempers fraying and television footage showed Benjamin Huggel kick a member of the Turkish coaching staff as he ran off the pitch.

Then, former Aston Villa defender Alpay aimed a kick at Streller as the goalscorer went down the tunnel towards the dressing rooms and the trouble erupted.

From http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/4444566.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Usual Turkey game....they got away with it for years now.....dont see anything happening this time.....glad they where knocked out of WC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

...a Swiss player got a kick in the balls and ended up in hospital overnight! Sore :eek:

I'm not at all a fan of the Swiss (mainly I suppose coz they keeping knocking us out!) but I'm glad they beat the Turks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭RotalicaV

Anyone got a link to video of the madness?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Similar scenes after the Bahrain-T&T game only the pitch was bombarded by bottles and missiles from angry fans.

Haven't seen the Swiss scenes yet, I'll keep an eye out for it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

on SSN you can see the swiss player kickin one or the turks, and then all hell breaking loose. why are the turks being blamed for it all when its clear huggell started it! i'm not a fan of either team, but bignellys right they've been getting away with it for years. remember when we played them over there?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Im not a fan of the Turks at all. They are always causing trouble and ever since two Leeds fans got stabbed to death when we were playing a European tie over there ill have nothing to do with them anymore.

Their reaction to Beckhams missed penalty was disgraceful too, Alpay showed his true colours that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

http://home.skysports.com/broadband.asp?showclip=yes

Just seen it on sky sports

crazy!!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Apparently the Swiss are alledging police involvement as well!

http://www.rte.ie/sport/2005/1117/turkey.html
    Switzerland midfielder Johann Lonfat said Turkish police were involved in violent incidents in the tunnel after his side's World Cup playoff victory over Turkey.

Switzerland lost the dramatic second leg 4-2 in Istanbul but advanced to the 2006 finals thanks to the away goals rule.

However, following an ill-tempered game, players from both teams clashed in the tunnel and reports said Swiss defender Stephane Grichting was taken to hospital with internal bleeding.

Swiss manger Kobi Kuhn was also hit by coins thrown from the crowd and press officer Pierre Benoit said the incidents would be reported.

Lonfat, who plays for French club Sochaux, was quoted by L'Equipe newspaper on Thursday as saying the police intervened soon after the players had left the pitch in Istanbul.

"After the match, the players rushed into the tunnel to the changing rooms," Lonfat said. "There some Swiss players were beaten by Turkish players and by police who were supposed to provide security.

"Grichting received some blows," Lonfat said. "He was covered in blood. He went to hospital, shocked. (Johann) Vogel and (Benjamin) Huggel were hit as well. We were attacked. It was unbelievable.

"And I'm not talking about the pressure we sustained during the stay. We expected an electric atmosphere, an overheated atmosphere, but not that. This went beyond the limits of intimidation. I was told: 'We're going to slit your throat.'"

FIFA president Sepp Blatter has threatened to ban Turkey from the 2010 World Cup following the violence.

A furious Blatter threatened major sanctions against Turkey and said: "Something is going wrong in football. I've never seen anything like it.

"I can tell you this, not as a Swiss, but as the president of FIFA that we will act here and we will act tough.

"This was anti-fair play. The Turks had the chance after the (first leg) defeat to act as a good host and show that a revenge foul is not done in football."

Nice to see Blatter being objective about it... ;)

From the clip posted above the main culprit seems to be Huggel, but there is obviously a lot more going on afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

maybe both teams will be thrown out and ireland get to play whoever turkey was ahead of in a qualifier :p

(ah i know people say we dont deserve to be there but i say screw em, i just wanna go! :p)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

B-K-DzR wrote:
    maybe both teams will be thrown out and ireland get to play whoever turkey was ahead of in a qualifier :p

(ah i know people say we dont deserve to be there but i say screw em, i just wanna go! :p)

Pity we came fourth though so if anyone deserves it its the Israelis :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

The Turks are sly-cheating-ungentlemanly-miscreants as far as I'm concerned! If I had my way I'd kick them out of UEFA along with Israel right now and let the two of them play each other ad infinitum until the end of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

on SSN you can see the swiss player kickin one or the turks, and then all hell breaking loose. why are the turks being blamed for it all when its clear huggell started it! i'm not a fan of either team, but bignellys right they've been getting away with it for years. remember when we played them over there?
    Yeah i seen the swiss guy start it and nothing was even mentioned of him. Saying that i do hope that fifa land on the swiss player and turkey like a tonne of bricks, the players bus was pelted with eggs, the crowd throwing everything, the turks brawling. Its a all too familiar occurence with them.

They should be kicked out of the next World Cup or Euro's.....too many years this has been going on....they think they can do watever they like when a country comes to play and they will get away with it....Utd v Galatasary in the early 90's was a joke with players afraid to go onto pitch,.....fans running onto the pitch in Old Trafford.....Leeds playing over there and 2 fans getting killed......Ireland playing over there and the scenes there....England playing over there and the problems that happened after that.....and now the Swiss.....I would throw them out till they learn how to control there fans and how to welcome a country into there country for an international!!! not hand out threatment liek this hoping that you will win the game by using these tactics......

Not only should Turkey be thrown out but maybe there clubs out of the Champions League....its the only way to stop this from happening again...as I have shown above this atitude has been around since the early 90 and nothing has changed.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Davei141 wrote:
    Yeah i seen the swiss guy start it and nothing was even mentioned of him. Saying that i do hope that fifa land on the swiss player and turkey like a tonne of bricks, the players bus was pelted with eggs, the crowd throwing everything, the turks brawling. Its a all too familiar occurence with them.

The first piece of footage we see is the Swiss player kicking a coach. That doesn't mean he started it. It was just the first piece of footage picked up by the touchline camera. I watched the game live and bang on the final whistle the Swiss team sprinted towards the tunnel, only to be chased by the thugs who were representing Turkey and their coaching staff, who were intent on causing trouble. You can be rest assured that coach did something that warranted that kick.
    I watched it on German TV and something even more shocking happened in the tunnel directly afterwards. 2 Swiss players were being interviewed when suddenly one of them screams in shock averting his gaze away from the camera towards an incident behind them. The cameraman instinctively turns to see whats going on and is manhandled by a couple of steward who push the camera to the ground, but for a split second you see a Turkish Policeman/Stadium security laying into a Swiss player! It's all one big rotten set up out there. It was probably planned beforehand amongst players and officials that the Swiss would be attacked at the final whistle.

Nunu wrote:
    I watched it on German TV and something even more shocking happened in the tunnel directly afterwards. 2 Swiss players were being interviewed when suddenly one of them screams in shock averting his gaze away from the camera towards an incident behind them. The cameraman instinctively turns to see whats going on and is manhandled by a couple of steward who push the camera to the ground, but for a split second you see a Turkish Policeman/Stadium security laying into a Swiss player! It's all one big rotten set up out there. It was probably planned beforehand amongst players and officials that the Swiss would be attacked at the final whistle.

Thats exactly the reason the Turks should be thrown out of the next World Cup. Thats just not on at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

I have a feeling nothing will happen the Turkish FA even if Blatter puts pressure on UEFA. This sort of thing has been going on in Turkey now for years and nothing has ever been done. And it does help to have someone high up in UEFA.

Just look at what the Spanish FA got for the racial abuse during the England game. A paltry fine. Maybe thats what the turks will get too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Nunu wrote:
    The first piece of footage we see is the Swiss player kicking a coach. That doesn't mean he started it. It was just the first piece of footage picked up by the touchline camera. I watched the game live and bang on the final whistle the Swiss team sprinted towards the tunnel, only to be chased by the thugs who were representing Turkey and their coaching staff, who were intent on causing trouble. You can be rest assured that coach did something that warranted that kick.
    Yeah i had limited footage and thought they sprinted off because of the crowd, anyone got anymore footage online somewhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Actually that Sky video does not show the full picture. Before the Swiss player kicked the Turkish coach, the same turkish coach kicked another Swiss player as they were running off the field.
    A better video here:
    http://rapidshare.de/files/7732654/macsonrasi.wmv.html

FatherTed wrote:
    Actually that Sky video does not show the full picture. Before the Swiss player kicked the Turkish coach, the same turkish coach kicked another Swiss player as they were running off the field.
    A better video here:
    http://rapidshare.de/files/7732654/macsonrasi.wmv.html

Your dead right there mate the Turkish coach kicked one of the Swiss lads running into the tunnel first and Huggel just reacted to that and kicked him back. This still doesnt excuse it of course but that video it proves that it was the Turks that started it all off. Absolute disgrace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Good man Father Ted, thats the video coverage i seen last night. Just shows how much crap they have been getting away with for years, remember Tony Cascarino, shameful scenes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Big Nelly wrote:
    They should be kicked out of the next World Cup or Euro's.....too many years this has been going on....they think they can do watever they like when a country comes to play and they will get away with it....Utd v Galatasary in the early 90's was a joke with players afraid to go onto pitch,.....fans running onto the pitch in Old Trafford.....Leeds playing over there and 2 fans getting killed......Ireland playing over there and the scenes there....England playing over there and the problems that happened after that.....and now the Swiss.....I would throw them out till they learn how to control there fans and how to welcome a country into there country for an international!!! not hand out threatment liek this hoping that you will win the game by using these tactics......

Not only should Turkey be thrown out but maybe there clubs out of the Champions League....its the only way to stop this from happening again...as I have shown above this atitude has been around since the early 90 and nothing has changed.....

spot on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

Pity we came fourth though so if anyone deserves it its the Israelis
    O god damn it! :v:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

There is defo something wrong with Turkish football.

Can't wait till they join the EU :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

In fairness I'd have a go at a few Swiss players if I had the chancve, they're w**kers, Frei in particular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Rossonero

I'm dissappointed the Swiss go through. The turkish are passionate and were only hostile because of the treatment they got in Basle.

The Swiss are discriminately hostile, jeering every team for no reason. I hate them.
    (Vogel is a waste of Milan's wages)

• Advertisement

Rossonero wrote:
    The turkish are passionate and were only hostile because of the treatment they got in Basle.

Thats not true, the Turkish are always hostile. Every single time a club goes to Turkey for a CL game they are intimidated. It can be great at times, a great example of the crowd being a 12th man. The fact is, however, that it tends to spill over quite a lot, expecially when they lose.
    Rossonero wrote:
    The Swiss are discriminately hostile, jeering every team for no reason. I hate them.

I assume you meant "indiscriminately", but I don't think the Swiss are a patch on the Turks.

Rossonero wrote:
    I'm dissappointed the Swiss go through. The turkish are passionate and were only hostile because of the treatment they got in Basle.

What threatment? any source for this statement???? because from what I have heard there was no problem in Switherland and if there was Im sure something would have come out about it???? havent UEFA come out and said that the Turks are in trouble because they didnt welcome the Swiss team into there country like the Swiss had done for them?????

Sure when the draw came out the Turks maanger said this was the best they could have hoped for because it would be like playing 2 homes games because there is so many people from Turkey in Switherland...so maybe if the turks where beating each other up then yes!!
    Rossonero wrote:

You are taking the pi** now are you? go to any stadium and at some stage they will start to boo the other team with the ball....ever watch a game in Russia where they have those stupid horns and from the start of the game to the end they never let up with them......sure the same happens in Landsdown, Old Trafford, etc etc etc.......

Why u hate the swiss? cause they knocked out Ireland? well I dont hate them....think it is a joke that Ireland couldnt beat an average team.....but thats Irelands problem...or is there some personal reason?? if so then it has nothing to do with soccer!!
    Rossonero wrote:
    (Vogel is a waste of Milan's wages)

Thats why he has been one of the best midfielder in holland and got to the Champions league semi finals last season....yeah he is terrible......strange move for him in summer but I guess the draw of playing for AC was too big.....should have went to England....his style would suit there!! AC has Gattusso who will always be in the team!!

Advertisement